Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FTdx-9000 (PEP-9000 enhanced version) AKA Mark 2 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTdx-9000 (PEP-9000 enhanced version) AKA Mark 2
Yaesu FTdx-9000 (PEP-9000 enhanced version) AKA Mark 2 Reviews: 49 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $5000-11000
Description: After 10/28/08, Yaesu released its PEP-9000 enhancement program for all FTdx-9000 radios. This includes all new firmware and replacement/modification of CNTL-UNIT, TX-UNIT, DSP-UNIT, SCP-UNIT, RX-1-UNIT, RX-2-UNIT (D/MP), Power Meter. Conversion is free to previous owners. Enhanced model reviews should be posted here.
More info: http://yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=34B0B268F77981D7E72CF66FC1930880&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTdx-9000 (PEP-9000 enhanced version) AKA Mark 2.

N2EHG Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2016 11:43 Send this review to a friend
favoriate Rig 9000MP  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this radio for a few years, one of my favorites. Front panel layout along with excellent receive, really helps me pull in week signals, and tame the strong & nearby ones. Using it with a Heil pr40 a small mixer taking full advantage of the xlr and it's audio settings, my audio out is pretty good, and people watching me on there 'scope' always compliment. Love it's design layout putting all the common controls into big knobs right up there on the front panel. It compares well to other Yeasu rigs my MVF, and the FT102 which has amazing spec's. Right up there with modern Icom gear I have, however some noise is better handled by Icoms NB/DSP etc, but you never know depends on the noise. Guess if I could only have one rig this would be it. Ability to put out 400w when you don't feel like turning on the amp is a plus. The Mu tuning units definitely help in the right conditions.

KH6TA Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2016 01:04 Send this review to a friend
Worth it and more!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My 9000 began life as a "Contest" version, but was recently upgraded to a "D" version and serviced by Yaesu in Feb 2016. I have owned and used many radios from the top 3 in the last 10 years and liked most of them, however, there were some stand-outs that more aligned with the top of the pack. Three were/are Yaesu, the FT-1000MP MK5 Field, the FTdx5000 and lastly the FTdx9000.

You really can't imagine what this transceiver does with and for you if you don't own it. Even after owning 2 5k's, it took a few weeks to finally "discover" new features & abilities, one of my favorites is 2 identical and independent receivers that are among the best of the best. VRF, mico-tuning and the awesome DSP & filters make this radio a joy to operate in any venue.

Who can afford one? It took me 10 years to work up and save enough to own a near-perfect 1-owner used one, and I have NO regrets! The Icom 78xx series and the Kenwood TS-990S are strong competitors and give today's discriminating casual or top DX'ers a great stable to choose from.

I highly recommend the FTdx5000 or FTdx9000 and applaud Yaesu on their service department's quality and customer service!

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2014 10:38 Send this review to a friend
Like the radio very much!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been sitting on the fence since 2012, got the 9000D yesterday but have been preparing for it for 2 years, Have a 5000 have liked that radio. If one is a seasoned Yeasu radio operator so much the better, This radio can be tuned by the operator an get results, live in SC AZ, was listening to 1s, 2s & 3s mobiles check-in to nets on the East Coast on 40m & 75m early this morning, the radio average's signals better than all the past radios I have used, is a pleasure to use an operate. I kept checking to see if Yaesu was going to come out with a new top end radio, think I know why they have not, they don't need to. If you can't make this baby do what you want it to, read your manuals I'm sure you will find a way to, neatest radio I have had the pleasure to operate. the 3 filters that you buy extra on other models come standard on the D and boy they work for the extra resolution needed to pull out weak signals......kb6hrt

AB4D Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2014 19:51 Send this review to a friend
A beautiful radio but is showing its age  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
There have been a lot of reviews stating the positive attributes of FTDX-9000. There is no need for me to repeat all of the positive comments that have already been posted. I own a FTDX-9000MP (400 watt) version, with the U-tune units. I did not opt for the built in screen, because I thought it sacrificed too much real estate on the front panel. From an operational stand point, you gain nothing from having the front panel mounted TFT if you use an external monitor. Rather, if you have the TFT, it compresses the front panel with more small knobs on an already crowded front panel.

I've owned this one for about 8 months, purchased new. In comparison, I have also owned or own the following rigs as well, Icom IC-7700, Yaesu FT-1000D/MP/MKV, Kenwood TS-990S, FTdx3000D, Flex 5000a. In relation to fit and finish, I feel the FTDX 9000 is more akin to the FT-1000D rather than its predecessors, the FT-1000MP and FT-1000MP MARK-V. My primary operation is Dxing/chasing rare ones, and rag chewing on SSB. It's that type of operation that forms the basis of my comments. My main focus has always been to pursue the best equipment that will put weak stations in the log. As they say, you can't work them if you can't hear them!

I've always liked big radios in my home station, and the FTDX-9000 is no exception. It dwarfs nearly all other radios, except maybe the Kenwood TS-990 and the Icom IC-7700/7800. The quad meters and large frequency display are unique to the Yaesu (if you don't have the built in screen) and they provide a good deal of real time information to the user. I found the front panel's layout to be very user friendly in the heat of chasing a rare one, and the quality of the hardware is unsurpassed on any radio I have seen or used. Setting up split frequency on the fly while chasing rare ones is a snap.

For comparison, I had the FTDX 9000 and Icom IC-7700 in my station at the same time. I performed extensive on air testing, and I could not really detect any significant difference in receiver and DSP performance between the two radios. The major operational differences is the IC-7700 could handle digital modes as a stand alone unit, and the transmit audio tailoring scheme in the IC-7700 seems to be easier to setup than the FTDX 9000 (Treble/Bass vs. Three band parametric EQ). However, the FTDX-9000 offered several advantages with the DMU and the U tune units, without considering the identical second receiver in the 9000 as well. I did not see any real technical advantage to retain the IC-7700 in my station, as it did not hear weak signal DX stations any better than the FTDX-9000.

Nevertheless, the FTDX-9000 is not perfect. I've experienced significant difficulty trying to obtain satisfactory transmit audio from the FTDX-9000 using the built in EQ. To be completely honest, other amateurs I work regularly on the air continue to tell me that my transmit on a FT-1000MP MARK V sounds much better than the FTDX-9000. I've spent a lot of time trying to tailor the audio on the FTDX-9000, and have been unable to duplicate the transmit audio present in the MARK V. In the advertising literature from Yaesu, it states that DX stations will stop by and say Wow OM your audio sounds great. However, I've yet to hear those comments while using the FTDX9000MP, but I have received those unsolicited comments while using the MARK V.

The FTDX-9000 has surpassed all of my older transceivers in performance for reception of weak signal DX stations and rejection during crowded band conditions. I've recently compared the FTDX-9000 against a FTDX-3000 and a Kenwood TS-990S. The receiver performance between the FTDX-9000 and the FTDX-3000 is very close in performance. However, operationally the FTDX-9000 greatly surpasses the FTDX-3000. The Kenwood TS-990S is a newer radio and my experience reflects that the DSP is better in that rig for assisting the operator to pull out weak DX stations. The TS-990S simply hears stations I cannot copy on the FTDX-9000MP. One of the other issues I have with the FTDX-9000MP is the slow data rate. I use HRD 6.2 for my logging and the FTDX-9000MP does have some latency issues when using that program. In comparison, data flow between the the TS-990S and HRD 6.2 is instantaneous.

Overall, the FTDX-9000 is a very beautiful and impressive transceiver, one of the best I've used. Some individuals have indicated that the u-tune units don't seem to do anything, but I've found they do help in certain situations. More than once, I've used them to suppress overly wide stations that were interfering with my receive on SSB.

I am somewhat disappointed in Yaesu's comparatively lack of interest in adding additional features to the FTDX-9000MP platform. Recently, Icom added additional functionality for owners of the IC-7700 and IC-7800 with a firmware update. However, Yaesu's latest firmware update in March 2014 was to only fix a few operation bugs. I suppose owners of the FTDX-9000MP can only hold out hope, that maybe one day Yaesu may release an update to add additional features that are comparative to other top of the line transceivers.

KJ4KBC Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2013 07:22 Send this review to a friend
Really Special Rig!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have a Contest Model with the second receiver and all available options except the DMU TFT screen. I like the extra two meter's and the large control knob's that would have been removed to install the screen.I use an LED monitor that looks and works great instead! I have owned both the FT-DX5000D And the Kenwood TS-990. Both of those are really great Radio's and a tribute to Yaesu and Kenwood for building such fine rigs! But you know I just like Big High Quality Rigs! And the 9000 is a monster that That sit's on top with those two and performs equally but still has an edge on blocking unwanted signals and my "ears" just like the 9000 a little more! Life is good! 73's and enjoy the experience!

AA6VB Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2013 13:34 Send this review to a friend
Love the APF  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this rig extensively on 160 and 80 meters for the last 5 years. From a CW standpoint, the radio really shines.

My favorite feature, by far, is the APF which is the best on the market, IMHO. I set the gain between 12 and 14 and the width at 3 and use it to bring up signals that are buried in the noise to the point where I can copy them. There have been many occasions where I made a contact using the APF that I would not have made without it.

As do other high end rigs (K3 and Icom 7800), the two receivers are equal and outstanding. It and the K3, however, are the only rigs that allow you to use diversity reception while using the same vfo to control two equal receivers at the same time. This is very useful on the low bands, when you want to use two different antennas on two different receivers to minimize QSB.

The rig has been greatly refined under the PEP and, as much as I love my Icom 7800, the 9000 is my rig of choice on the low bands because of the APF. Other than the APF, I can't really say the 9000 outperforms the 7800 (the two are very, very close in rx performance).

Bob/AA6VB

K5UX Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2012 18:23 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding build quality and performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is such an outstanding rig, I feel I must say something about it, even though I think it has been covered extremely well in the previous reviews. I purchased my first FT9K a couple of years ago and traded it before I had an opportunity to put it through it's paces (I didn't spend enough time reading the manual to really appreciate what I had). I purchased my 2nd FT9K several months ago and plan to keep this one. I'm a casual operator, spending most of my time on 75 meter SSB and 40 meter CW. Just like many of the other reviewers, I have also owned some of the high-end rigs, including the K3, Orion 2, Flex5000 and the FT5K. Any of the rigs I just mentioned easily took care of my casual operating needs.....but the FT9K shines above the pack when it comes to ergonomics and ease of operation. The build quality is second to none and it's built like a tank. It's certainly more rig than I need for casual SSB and CW operating, but has plenty of reserve under the hood, should I decide to step up my operating habits.
Bottom line....this is a "big-knob" radio with outstanding features/performance and very easy to use, provided you spend time reading the manual....and it's heavy!

ZL4IV Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2012 04:55 Send this review to a friend
What else can compete?  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
At first I did not like the radio that much then after playing with my friends FT5KMP then back to my FT9KD I had a better understanding of what the difference is. I have a low tolerance for LID's and this radio puts them where they should be, out of my RX audio. It feels like value for the money I paid for it and I don't use it in a test lab, it's used as it should be, DX rag chewing. It beats other radio's hands down for ergonomics. It is just such a pleasure to use. If you don't have the bucks the FT5k is an option but I stick with my FT2KD as my second radio. One gripe, the primary mic jack should have been relegated to the rear and the secondary jack to the front as the standard mic produces excellent audio. Driving an amp in class 'A' is outstanding but remember to watch the finals temperature screen but it should not be an issue as tetrodes these days take little drive.
If you got the bucks, buy one. Like most upper end Yaesu radio's they are not plug and play, better you find another consumer type brand that is if you have little technical knowledge. BTW my FTdx9000D interfaces directly without modification to my 80's Yaesu gear like the FC-757AT to switch the FAS-1-4 remote antenna selector plus lots of other equipment. Good on you Yaesu, thanks!
ZL4IV

KB9NW Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2012 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Monster Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my second Yaesu HF radio purchase. This rig dwarfs my FT-1000MkV which I have used for a couple of years. It takes a while to get use to the options, so read the manual and keep it handy. My radio failed within a few weeks of use but the service department at Yaesu was fantastic. Shipping is not for the faint of heart as it was $150 to get it back to the factory, save the box and all packing materials. The only feature that I find dificult to use is RIT/XIT as they are on the lower left next to the second VFO and it can be touchy. The faceplate text is small so I have added lots of lighting to help illuminate the front panel. The rig weighs in at 80 pounds so an extra 2X4 under the desk isn't a bad idea. The DMU has little or no value other than impressing friends with the graphics on the extra display and doing an intial setup of the rigs parameters. I knew that going in and hope that a future software update from Yaesu will give it at least one feature that offsets the cost. In general, the rig is easy to operate, has lots of power right out of the box, and gets recognized in a pile-up.

K4VUD Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2011 01:26 Send this review to a friend
True top of the line  Time owned: more than 12 months
7800 is here along with a loaded K3 and FT-9000d. I dare any op to find a mm. difference in performance. My side by side tests show that one or the other is miniscule better, but in another set of tests that finding is reversed or all are equal.
This refers to FUNCTIONAL tests.
That leaves OPERATIONAL tests which are ultimately personal. That is, to select between these (and the super FT-5000) is a matter of personal taste. For example, some cant stand the tiny controls on the K3; some want CW and RTTY readers in the 9000; some like the looks of their choice; some want the 7800 to equal the u-Tune filters of the 9000; and so on and on.
Bottom line in choosing one of these 4 radios is WHICH SATISFIES YOU TO LOOK AT AND HANDLE?
Answer that and buy any of the 4 with full confidence that you have the best a ham can buy.
73, K4VUD