Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FTdx-9000 (PEP-9000 enhanced version) AKA Mark 2 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTdx-9000 (PEP-9000 enhanced version) AKA Mark 2
Yaesu FTdx-9000 (PEP-9000 enhanced version) AKA Mark 2 Reviews: 49 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $5000-11000
Description: After 10/28/08, Yaesu released its PEP-9000 enhancement program for all FTdx-9000 radios. This includes all new firmware and replacement/modification of CNTL-UNIT, TX-UNIT, DSP-UNIT, SCP-UNIT, RX-1-UNIT, RX-2-UNIT (D/MP), Power Meter. Conversion is free to previous owners. Enhanced model reviews should be posted here.
More info: http://yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=34B0B268F77981D7E72CF66FC1930880&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTdx-9000 (PEP-9000 enhanced version) AKA Mark 2.

KB9NW Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2012 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Monster Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my second Yaesu HF radio purchase. This rig dwarfs my FT-1000MkV which I have used for a couple of years. It takes a while to get use to the options, so read the manual and keep it handy. My radio failed within a few weeks of use but the service department at Yaesu was fantastic. Shipping is not for the faint of heart as it was $150 to get it back to the factory, save the box and all packing materials. The only feature that I find dificult to use is RIT/XIT as they are on the lower left next to the second VFO and it can be touchy. The faceplate text is small so I have added lots of lighting to help illuminate the front panel. The rig weighs in at 80 pounds so an extra 2X4 under the desk isn't a bad idea. The DMU has little or no value other than impressing friends with the graphics on the extra display and doing an intial setup of the rigs parameters. I knew that going in and hope that a future software update from Yaesu will give it at least one feature that offsets the cost. In general, the rig is easy to operate, has lots of power right out of the box, and gets recognized in a pile-up.

K4VUD Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2011 01:26 Send this review to a friend
True top of the line  Time owned: more than 12 months
7800 is here along with a loaded K3 and FT-9000d. I dare any op to find a mm. difference in performance. My side by side tests show that one or the other is miniscule better, but in another set of tests that finding is reversed or all are equal.
This refers to FUNCTIONAL tests.
That leaves OPERATIONAL tests which are ultimately personal. That is, to select between these (and the super FT-5000) is a matter of personal taste. For example, some cant stand the tiny controls on the K3; some want CW and RTTY readers in the 9000; some like the looks of their choice; some want the 7800 to equal the u-Tune filters of the 9000; and so on and on.
Bottom line in choosing one of these 4 radios is WHICH SATISFIES YOU TO LOOK AT AND HANDLE?
Answer that and buy any of the 4 with full confidence that you have the best a ham can buy.
73, K4VUD

VA2DW Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2011 19:36 Send this review to a friend
ftdx9000contest  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got this piece of art a week ago.
WOW-WOW-WOW What a radio!!!!
If you want to fly high get one and
you are done. Great product from Yaesu.

KW1E Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2011 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Definitely a Great Transceiver!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my FTdx 9000D about 14 months ago and it has lived up to all my expectations. The FTdx 9000D is a replacement for my FT-1000D. I have played with all the various functions of the knobs and buttons. They all do what they are suppose to do. Iíve also owned the FT-1000MP, the FT-1000MP Mark V, the FT-900, and the FT-736R. Theíre all great rigs. Iíve also owned the Flex-5000C. The Flex is also a great transceiver that I will revisit it in the future. The FTdx 9000D is a great transceiver, giving the operator full control over the second receiver. I use an external tuner but the FTdx 9000D has an excellent internal tuner. The VRF and u-Tune filters in the FTdx 9000D work great. They are quite an improvement over the filters in the
FT-1000MP Mark V. The ability to operate the FTdx 9000 with the Front Professional grade XLR or Rear 8 pin microphone jack also contribute to the Ftdx 9000 being a great transceiver. The Parametric Equalizer in the FTdx 9000 works great. If the audio is adjusted properly there is no need to connect any external audio equipment. The 48 volt dc supply line is a plus.
Note: I do think Vertex should have added a noise gate for the operator that wants to use a high end studio quality microphone. Thanks Vertex, you got it right!

N9LBW Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2010 00:55 Send this review to a friend
TOP SHELF TRANSCEIVER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently aquired a Demo YAESU FT-DX9000MP with every option available. It performs flawlessly. I have owned TEN TEC ORION II, OMNI VII, ELECRAFT K3, KENWOOD TS-850S, TS-950SDX, TS-2000, ICOM IC-7600, IC-756PROIII, IC-775DSP and YAESU FT-1000MP MKV, FT-2000D to name a few, The FT-DX9000MP is in a category of its own.

IK2SGL Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2010 14:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been thinking for quite a long time whether to review it or not. Actually I ain't own this radio myself but I use it on a regular basis at a contest station which I belong. The radio, 9kD model, performs flawlessly in every condition, especially in pile-ups. The microtunes and filters work as expected and the audio is pleasant and soft. IMHO thumb up for it.

NA1A Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2010 21:00 Send this review to a friend
Still the top performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this Contest model for just about two years now. Rig still performs like the way it should. I recently acquired the FTDX-5000MP. Another outstanding rig from Yaesu. Side by side comparison, I can't say that one radio is better than the other. However, I prefer the 9000's receiver. It is a little flatter than the 5000, every bit as quiet and comfortable to listen to. The transmitter in the 5000 is just slightly better than the one in the 9000. Nonetheless, it is like splitting hair here. I run mostly ESSB, so unless you're into ESSB like I do, you will never notice the difference between the two transmitters.
The touch and feel of the 9000 is still top notch and untouchable in my book.
73 to all.

NI6S Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2010 19:08 Send this review to a friend
Impressed!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love this radio! Have had the Icom 7800 since 2004 and thought I had it all. But the reality is that it's been back to Icom three times. The first for the Roofing filter upgrade; the second for blown finals; and the third for an out-of-tolerance OCXO and bad sensing resistors. Icom comp'd the finals but they charged me big $$$ for the OCXO and resistors. This, to me is totally unacceptable. What was I to do but pay?

In the meantime, my friend had a 9000D and I was starting to play with it more and more. I finally "had" to have one. Now that I've had it for a few days, I must say that the build quality is better than the 7800. And though more complex, I have discovered that this is a fantastic radio! So many comparisons can be made, but the fact that the spectrum scope has respective, simultaneous displays for each receiver and diversity capability, along with the best support from Yaesu, makes this choice a no brainer. Still upset with Icom that I had to shell out almost $1k for an inherent design flaw....I will post a more technical review later, but suffice it to say that I have no regrets with the purchase of the 9000D.

KI2X Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2010 04:12 Send this review to a friend
One Year later..Still Outstanding !  Time owned: more than 12 months
See my first post March 10,2009...one year later ...the FTdx 9K has worked so well I bought another. Purchased at Orlando hamfest from HRO and delivered to my front door.. 9 days...WOW....Super service..Thanks again Yaesu !

Rich ki2x
PS: This was custom..mtu's dmu and rx9k

KD9MF Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2009 12:27 Send this review to a friend
makes a great radio even better  Time owned: more than 12 months
i loved my 9000 before. the only real gripe was the nb. after the pep enhancement, this rig is even better, but nb still sucks. its a bit better than before but still no cigar.
all in all, this rig is over 4 yeras old and is on each and every day for at least 10 16 hours, no flaws.

the enhancement, paid for by yaesu, including shipping both ways, is customer service to the ultimate. reinforces why i love this company and will continue to be loyal customer.