Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet GP-1 Help

Reviews Summary for Comet GP-1
Comet GP-1 Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $74.99
Description: Small, Dual-Band vertical
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/products.php?CatID=1&famID=5&childID=4

You can write your own review of the Comet GP-1.

WZ3O Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2014 19:23 Send this review to a friend
Nice small dual band inconspicuous antenna...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Replaced a no-gain J-pole, what a difference. It plays well with others, including D-Star with a decent wide band receive.

Mounted on my roof at about 20' more or less, mounted to a vent stack, as was the J-pole.

So if you want a small, inconspicuous antenna with good receive and gain, get one.

M0RIF Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2014 12:52 Send this review to a friend
Quality item  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one of these antennas for a little over 3 years, and I have just moved it to a new location. All parts in good order, no sign of sunlight damage or corrosion of metal parts. The hardware to fix the antenna in place is well made. Good swr on both bands and looks discrete in service. I would buy again if I needed a second one. Pretty good for wide-band receive too.

W1ZE Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2013 06:58 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good omnidirectional antenna that does the job.
I have my GP-1 installed at 70-feet atop my tower rotor mast and if i hear them i can work them.
It has been in use for over 5 years and still does the job.

WB3KTW Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2012 20:10 Send this review to a friend
Works Great, as promised  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
A great antenna for my 2 meter and dual band HT's; either barefoot (2-5 watts) or with amplifiers (30-150) watts. I am very pleased with is performance in the mountains of Northeast PA. as far as hitting the repeaters in my region. Easy to assemble, easy to install, no tuning! Mine is up only about 30 feet and it seems to work just fine.

KC0WEO Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2012 16:51 Send this review to a friend
strong dual bander  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just received the Comet GP-1, I already have 2 GP-6 antennas which work great. Having recently installed many of these as part of emergency preparedness on schools that function as evacuation shelters in Central Minnesota area.
The coverage was great, with it's solid construction we mounted these on top of the shelters with a 10ft mast. with our snow and wind we feel this is the best choice for long term use.

They have all performed well with 1:1 SWR on a rather long run over 100ft of LMR400

My 2 GP-6's have performed better than expected, no complaints or problems, one has been up for 5-6 years enduring many storms of all types.

So why not use the solidly built GP-1 used on the ladder mount of my camper. To be used for field communications on a 32ft mast since it is such a light load on a windy, snowy forest road on the North Shore of Lake Superior while working the JBeargrease Dog Sled Race. Time below is on the school evac shelters roof.

N7KFD Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2012 20:05 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna about two years ago (might have been three I can't recall) and it's been on the roof of the house on a ten foot pole ever since. It has performed great! This antenna does a great job, I can reach repeaters 30 miles away from my home QTH with 5 watts on 2 meters while connected to my hand held Kenwood TH-K20 (another great item).

It has a small foot print and has survived several storms with winds as high as 60 mph. This is a highly recommended antenna for dual or single band operation.

KF5PHO Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2012 10:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for an inconspicuous antenna to place atop my downtown building that would blend in to the existing commercial antenna farm. It only took me 5 min to pre assemble the antenna and about the same to attach it on an existing mounting pole. It has vastly out preformed all of the previous antennas I have put up there and looks great at the same time. I am buying another as soon as I can find a place at home for one.

AC5ZU Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2012 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Great low profile antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I wanted a simple dual band antenna to work local 2m/440 FM. It would be mounted at the top of a 10ft aluminum mast, just above my VHF/UHF yagi stack. Because this whole assembly would be mounted on a 34ft push-up pole, I wanted something that wouldn't add a lot of mass at the top of the structure, but still do the job. This antenna fit the bill perfectly. At only 4 feet in length, it sits nicely at the top of my antenna stack with out adding a huge moment arm that could be more subject to wind damage. It performs very well as I can communicate either simplex or through repeaters within a 50 mile radius with no problems.

K4XZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2010 10:37 Send this review to a friend
BUY ONE  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had one of the older versions for 6 years now. Never even a hiccup. The best part is the mast to antenna design. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

73 Joe K4XZ

KH6DC Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2010 01:20 Send this review to a friend
Still the Best!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Had the older version of the GP-1 which used to be called the GP-3 but sold it after being up for 6 years. Installed the GP-1 6 months ago and it provides excellent service. Man this antenna works like a charm, I'm able to hit our Army MARS repeater 50 miles away on 1/4 watt. Wish I didn't have to sell my old GP-3 but needed to money for college and lived in an apartment. No changes between versions, high quality with strict attention to detail. I'll never sell this one for as long as I live :)