Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | LDG Z-817 QRP Autotuner Help

Reviews Summary for LDG Z-817 QRP Autotuner
LDG Z-817 QRP Autotuner Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $129.99
Description: The ultimate QRP autotuner with built-in interface for FT-817. Powered by four internal AA batteries that lasts over a year. Tuning could not be simpler; one button push on the tuner is all that is needed and the Z-817 takes care of the rest. It will switch to PKT mode, transmit a carrier, tune the tuner, then restore the radio to the previous mode! 2000 memories cover 160 through 6 meters. Matches up to 8 to 1 SWR and up to 20 watts.
More info: http://www.ldgelectronics.com/

You can write your own review of the LDG Z-817 QRP Autotuner.

WB7VTY Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2017 17:40 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First off, I gave the Z817 a 5 because it far exceeded my expectations. I havent owned it long enough to speak to its reliability, but in terms of operation and capability, its much better than expected, and it makes a great companion to my Yaesu FT817nD. I will say up front Im not a fan of autotuners. I have found they have limited range compared to the manual tuners I have used. The Z817 is a stand out. It has matched everything I have thrown at it. I went mobile with it using a tram magmount with the long version of the MFJ hamsticks for 80,60,40,30, and 20 meters. It matched them all anywhere in those bands with the exception of 80. The 80m hamstick is very narrow but the 817 will give it a useful bandwidth of about 150 KHz, so no complaints. At home I have a Off Center Fed Dipole cut for 80 meters. It has no choke for 15 meters etc. Just the 4:1 balun and fed with coax. 30 and 15 are problems for the autotuner in my 590SG. I have to use the manual tuner and its a push. Not so with the Z817. The Z817 will match all HF bands 80 - 10 with the OCFD with no trouble at all. Today I thought, OK, now Im going to give it something I KNOW it wont match. For field use with my FT817 I typically use a 58 foot wire and counterpoise connected to a MFJ 16010 wire tuner. I was wrong. I stuffed the banana plug on the end of the wire into the center pin of the Z817, clipped the counterpoise wire to the ground stud on the Z817, and much to my shock, it matched the wire on every HF band from 80 through 10. Also, this tuner has a bypass function so you can take it out of line. I mention this because I have never seen this advertised and you wouldnt know it unless you read the manual before you bought one. Another great design feature is that it uses latching relays so there is no current drain on the batteries when it is idle. It interfaced to the FT817 just as simply as advertised. I have used the poor thing to death in the last week trying to find one of my antennas that it wouldnt match and the 4AA batteries dont appear yet to be slowing down. The Z817 has matched every goofy thing I have thrown at it, has exceeded all my expectations of it, works as advertised plus the bypass feature, and is an outstanding combination for the Yaesu FT817nD in my opinion. I was at first very unsure of whether I should buy an autotuner. After using the LDG Z817 at home, mobile, and portable in the back yard for the last week, I am now convinced it was a great purchase and a great value for the price paid. It was about 5 dollars less than the manual tuner I was looking at. Assuming it proves to be reliable, which I have no reason to think otherwise, I highly recommend it. If you have any questions I would be glad to answer them. Just shoot me an email at my QRZ email address. 73, Joe, WB7VTY

DJ3UN Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2016 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So far I tuned literary everything I tried to tune everywhere I try to tune - from couple of meters of wire to multiband vertical not intended for the tuned band at all - and I made QSOs every time with it and my FT817ND.

VK5GI Rating: 1/5 Jan 17, 2016 23:25 Send this review to a friend
No service  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Just out of warrantee, bought off another ham, and
I used it for less than six months. Working one moment, dead as a brick the next. LDG DO NOT SUPPLY SCHEMATICS WITH THEIR PRODUCTS. Are they totally ashamed of them? I would not buy another one, I only gave it a 1 because at least I had six months out of it with my FT-817.

K5TED Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2015 15:55 Send this review to a friend
Works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got this thing to replace a Z-100 in my backpack setup. It tuned a 48" Francis fiberglass CB stick on my backpack, no counterpoise, to 20m 14.300 and I checked in to the Maritme Mobile Net with it at 3.5w on a FT-817ND and got a "light but readable" report.

Nuff said.

WA7NDD Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2015 11:09 Send this review to a friend
Never failed!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had my Z-817 since they came out, and my FT-817ND since 2008. The tuner has had no problem in tuning all normal antennas. OFC, Stepper 3 element if needed, and various end fed wire and verticals. Many like the Elecraft T1, and I am sure it is a great tuner. But, I like the extra accessory socket on the back of the tuner to allow CAT control when I use PSK31, no "Y" cable needed. I am not one for back packing, I can barley walk now, but the system works just fine in my RV. If you look up "The Old Man Go Box" in Eham.net there are two articles and pics showing my system. I have a newer third version pictures on the FT817 Face Book group, and the FT-817 Yahoo grouup. 73's

AE5YJ Rating: 4/5 Feb 18, 2015 18:05 Send this review to a friend
works as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a homebrew buddistick clone with the 40 meter coil. To test, I connected the radio and tuner, listened on 80 meters, and pushed tune. Approximately 5 seconds later, the 40m antenna was tuned on 80 (probably not enough for actual use, but had swr light indicator) and noise level shot up indicating a decent tune. I was just curious, and to my surprise it tuned quickly. Installation was a snap, and I did not expect a collapsed buddistick clone with a 40 meter coil in to be in range enough to tune on 80. This thing is a winner.

KA0USE Rating: 0/5 Oct 3, 2014 12:48 Send this review to a friend
failed to tune- read text  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I really hate to give it a rating simply because I don't think I know how to drive the thing.

I was kind of under the impression I could tune a rock with it, but apparently not so.

as suggested I did ground the thing, inline with the buddistick and '817nd. the buddistick uses a counterpoise which took some fiddling with to get anywhere near being tuned. each time, the tuner buzzed, clicked and whirred for a while and I never did get a green light.

in the end the tuner went back in it's box and I used an mfj antenna analyzer (model 259c) instead.

i'm willing to accept operator as the cause of failure to tune. if I get it straightened out i'll change this rating (if allowed by eham).

M0SAZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2014 03:02 Send this review to a friend
Simple and Effective  Time owned: more than 12 months
What's not to like about this matcher? I use it with my Yaesu FT-817ND. The relays are quiet, the batteries last an age in it, it will tune so much. There really isn't anything better for QRP. To give the ATU (any ATU) the best possible reliability and range, always use an earth connection where practical - the Z-817 has an earth point on it. The simple one touch tuning for the FT-817(ND) means there isn't anything else out there that could do a better job.

G8UBJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2013 04:55 Send this review to a friend
Well thought out  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a few LDG tuners but this one really integrates well with my FT-817. In a way the simplicity (for the user) of the product makes it more useful than some of their high end models.

KT4EP Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2012 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I should have bought this tuner last year when I bought my 817nd. It tunes everything I connect to it. Nothing against my two MFJ tuners, but this little tuner goes hand in glove with the Yaesu 817. It's very easy to set-up, instructions are clear, and it appears to be of quality manufacture.