Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | LDG Z-817 QRP Autotuner Help

Reviews Summary for LDG Z-817 QRP Autotuner
LDG Z-817 QRP Autotuner Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $129.99
Description: The ultimate QRP autotuner with built-in interface for FT-817. Powered by four internal AA batteries that lasts over a year. Tuning could not be simpler; one button push on the tuner is all that is needed and the Z-817 takes care of the rest. It will switch to PKT mode, transmit a carrier, tune the tuner, then restore the radio to the previous mode! 2000 memories cover 160 through 6 meters. Matches up to 8 to 1 SWR and up to 20 watts.
More info: http://www.ldgelectronics.com/

You can write your own review of the LDG Z-817 QRP Autotuner.

M0SAZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2014 03:02 Send this review to a friend
Simple and Effective  Time owned: more than 12 months
What's not to like about this matcher? I use it with my Yaesu FT-817ND. The relays are quiet, the batteries last an age in it, it will tune so much. There really isn't anything better for QRP. To give the ATU (any ATU) the best possible reliability and range, always use an earth connection where practical - the Z-817 has an earth point on it. The simple one touch tuning for the FT-817(ND) means there isn't anything else out there that could do a better job.

G8UBJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2013 04:55 Send this review to a friend
Well thought out  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a few LDG tuners but this one really integrates well with my FT-817. In a way the simplicity (for the user) of the product makes it more useful than some of their high end models.

KT4EP Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2012 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I should have bought this tuner last year when I bought my 817nd. It tunes everything I connect to it. Nothing against my two MFJ tuners, but this little tuner goes hand in glove with the Yaesu 817. It's very easy to set-up, instructions are clear, and it appears to be of quality manufacture.

KA2WDV Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2012 21:36 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This Tuner is very good. When using it with the Yaesu FT-817Nd you need to go to menu #14 and select 38400 for the baud rate for it to work.GREAT TUNER

G4YVM Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2011 02:41 Send this review to a friend
Fabulous tuner. Works every time  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A small and easily carried tuner that sits atop the 817 very nicely. It will work with other radios too of course, like my IC 703!

The z817 tunes quickly and quietly and I have had it tune everything from random wire kite aerials to stubby mobile whips in my 4x4. Every time it just works well, it does what it is meant to do!

I have used ( and use still) manual ATUs and long wire tuners as well as other auto tuners but the z817 is one of the easiest and neatest. It beats manual tuners for mobile work hands down. Combined with a rig-front SWR display it's a winning combination for the car. I wish the icon 703 built in ATU was as good !

AE5J Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2011 16:39 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This tuner works very well with the FT-817. It easily tunes any of my four antennas quickly. Not too many mentions of one of the best features of the Z-817 is the additional CAT port. Just plug the CAT cable from the computer into the tuner and connect the supplied CAT cable to the port on the 817. Perfect CAT operation and a one button tune function for the 817.

Also a word of recommendation for W4RT where I purchased the Z-817. I ordered on Friday and had the tuner in hand on Monday- W4RT to Texas via USPS with FREE shipping and the best price. You can't beat that anywhere.

M6AIU Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2011 15:18 Send this review to a friend
Nice and easy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Simple and effective - great for backpacking and batteries last forever!

2M0YCG Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2011 07:55 Send this review to a friend
The Perfect QRP Tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ive had this tuner for just over two months now. I mainly use my FT-817 in the shack with a Cobwebb antenna but i've been portable a few times where i've used dipole antennas and even a fence in a field connected to RG-58 feeder and this tuner tuned them no problem - this thing would tune a wet piece of string! The tuner comes well packed with instruction manual and interface cable which can be a bit tricky to fit to the radio due to the small pins. All that's needed is a press on the tune button for a second and this tuner tunes in an instant and it also stores upto 2000 memories which makes tuning even quicker on you're favourite frequencies. Due to it's small size and light weight this tuner is perfect for portable operation and will tune with a maximum power of 20 Watts right from 0-30 MHz and 6 Metres. Before i bought this tuner i was looking at other portable tuners but im glad that i bought this one. If you have an FT-817 and you're looking to buy a tuner - buy one of these you won't be dissapointed.

KF4HPY Rating: 4/5 Apr 10, 2011 19:56 Send this review to a friend
Another good LDG tuner.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this tuner for a year now. It has done a great job of matching up hamstick dipoles and full sized homebrew dipoles in various locations while using it with the FT-817 on SSB and PSK-31. This year I had one problem occur while operating portable. The ANT. connector came free while removing the UHF connector to the dipole. I struggled to remove the old broken wire and solder the lead to the pin as I have lost the use of my left due to a stroke after Christmas. I was successful finally and was able to make a few contacts on the Georgia QSO party. All was just like new again. The AA cells were still metering in the Green I put a little Loc-tite on the connector just in case. If any lossen I will replace the connectors with pop-rivets and star washers through the mount plate. This is my third LDG tuner since going auto tuning.

KB2CPW Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2010 03:50 Send this review to a friend
Can it core a apple?  Time owned: 6 to 12 months

Yes it can Chef of the future!! I purchased mine from Cheap ham .com and love it. It comes with the interface cable which will force the 817 into tune mode whenever the button on the tuner is pressed. Its tiny and works as advertised. I wish this was built in the square case like the picture on the box as that would make it easier to stack when portable. The batteries last forever, they are in mine since I bought it.