Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | LDG Z-817 QRP Autotuner Help

Reviews Summary for LDG Z-817 QRP Autotuner
LDG Z-817 QRP Autotuner Reviews: 30 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $129.99
Description: The ultimate QRP autotuner with built-in interface for FT-817. Powered by four internal AA batteries that lasts over a year. Tuning could not be simpler; one button push on the tuner is all that is needed and the Z-817 takes care of the rest. It will switch to PKT mode, transmit a carrier, tune the tuner, then restore the radio to the previous mode! 2000 memories cover 160 through 6 meters. Matches up to 8 to 1 SWR and up to 20 watts.

You can write your own review of the LDG Z-817 QRP Autotuner.

DJ3UN Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2016 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So far I tuned literary everything I tried to tune everywhere I try to tune - from couple of meters of wire to multiband vertical not intended for the tuned band at all - and I made QSOs every time with it and my FT817ND.
VK5GI Rating: 1/5 Jan 17, 2016 23:25 Send this review to a friend
No service  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Just out of warrantee, bought off another ham, and
I used it for less than six months. Working one moment, dead as a brick the next. LDG DO NOT SUPPLY SCHEMATICS WITH THEIR PRODUCTS. Are they totally ashamed of them? I would not buy another one, I only gave it a 1 because at least I had six months out of it with my FT-817.
K5TED Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2015 15:55 Send this review to a friend
Works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got this thing to replace a Z-100 in my backpack setup. It tuned a 48" Francis fiberglass CB stick on my backpack, no counterpoise, to 20m 14.300 and I checked in to the Maritme Mobile Net with it at 3.5w on a FT-817ND and got a "light but readable" report.

Nuff said.
WA7NDD Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2015 11:09 Send this review to a friend
Never failed!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had my Z-817 since they came out, and my FT-817ND since 2008. The tuner has had no problem in tuning all normal antennas. OFC, Stepper 3 element if needed, and various end fed wire and verticals. Many like the Elecraft T1, and I am sure it is a great tuner. But, I like the extra accessory socket on the back of the tuner to allow CAT control when I use PSK31, no "Y" cable needed. I am not one for back packing, I can barley walk now, but the system works just fine in my RV. If you look up "The Old Man Go Box" in there are two articles and pics showing my system. I have a newer third version pictures on the FT817 Face Book group, and the FT-817 Yahoo grouup. 73's
AE5YJ Rating: 4/5 Feb 18, 2015 18:05 Send this review to a friend
works as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a homebrew buddistick clone with the 40 meter coil. To test, I connected the radio and tuner, listened on 80 meters, and pushed tune. Approximately 5 seconds later, the 40m antenna was tuned on 80 (probably not enough for actual use, but had swr light indicator) and noise level shot up indicating a decent tune. I was just curious, and to my surprise it tuned quickly. Installation was a snap, and I did not expect a collapsed buddistick clone with a 40 meter coil in to be in range enough to tune on 80. This thing is a winner.
KA0USE Rating: 0/5 Oct 3, 2014 12:48 Send this review to a friend
failed to tune- read text  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I really hate to give it a rating simply because I don't think I know how to drive the thing.

I was kind of under the impression I could tune a rock with it, but apparently not so.

as suggested I did ground the thing, inline with the buddistick and '817nd. the buddistick uses a counterpoise which took some fiddling with to get anywhere near being tuned. each time, the tuner buzzed, clicked and whirred for a while and I never did get a green light.

in the end the tuner went back in it's box and I used an mfj antenna analyzer (model 259c) instead.

i'm willing to accept operator as the cause of failure to tune. if I get it straightened out i'll change this rating (if allowed by eham).
M0SAZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2014 03:02 Send this review to a friend
Simple and Effective  Time owned: more than 12 months
What's not to like about this matcher? I use it with my Yaesu FT-817ND. The relays are quiet, the batteries last an age in it, it will tune so much. There really isn't anything better for QRP. To give the ATU (any ATU) the best possible reliability and range, always use an earth connection where practical - the Z-817 has an earth point on it. The simple one touch tuning for the FT-817(ND) means there isn't anything else out there that could do a better job.
G8UBJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2013 04:55 Send this review to a friend
Well thought out  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a few LDG tuners but this one really integrates well with my FT-817. In a way the simplicity (for the user) of the product makes it more useful than some of their high end models.
KT4EP Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2012 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I should have bought this tuner last year when I bought my 817nd. It tunes everything I connect to it. Nothing against my two MFJ tuners, but this little tuner goes hand in glove with the Yaesu 817. It's very easy to set-up, instructions are clear, and it appears to be of quality manufacture.
KA2WDV Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2012 21:36 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This Tuner is very good. When using it with the Yaesu FT-817Nd you need to go to menu #14 and select 38400 for the baud rate for it to work.GREAT TUNER