Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | LDG Z-817 QRP Autotuner Help

Reviews Summary for LDG Z-817 QRP Autotuner
LDG Z-817 QRP Autotuner Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $129.99
Description: The ultimate QRP autotuner with built-in interface for FT-817. Powered by four internal AA batteries that lasts over a year. Tuning could not be simpler; one button push on the tuner is all that is needed and the Z-817 takes care of the rest. It will switch to PKT mode, transmit a carrier, tune the tuner, then restore the radio to the previous mode! 2000 memories cover 160 through 6 meters. Matches up to 8 to 1 SWR and up to 20 watts.
More info: http://www.ldgelectronics.com/

You can write your own review of the LDG Z-817 QRP Autotuner.

KD7MTI Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2010 03:17 Send this review to a friend
A good tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my z817 since a few weeks after they were announced.

The tuner works and seems to work quite well. I have several tuners and I prefer my ldg z-11 pro because it automatically tunes without requiring me to do anything.

BUT

The z817 does a great job. In preparation for a move -- I'll only be able to hand carry my ft817 and z817 (all my other radio's will be shipped) -- I've been using my ft817/z817 exclusively.

Pushing the button and holding it when I change bands isn't really that much of a pain.

The tuner works, it seems to work as well as any of my other tuners. I find it a big bigger than my z-11 pro -- which is longer and wider, but apparently, just a fraction of inch shorter and that allows the z-11 to fit in a case with the ft817 that I can't get both the ft817 and z817 in at the same time.

The pass through port works great. You have to becareful when plugging things in - everything is small and you can't really tell when something is plugged in correctly.

When I received my z817, I attempted to attach my coax feedline. Somehow, the pl259 screw connector became bent -- so it doesn't screw on easily; I didn't realize this with the z817 -- and when I tried to disconnect the pl259 because it was binding, the so239 connector on the z817 turned. So, I had to take the unit apart and resolder the internal antenna connector and snug down the so239.

If you have the tools -- I'd strongly suggest taking off the stock so239 and replace it with one with four screws -- in the long run, if something happens, you'll be thankful.

I like the z817, it works for me. I've been using it exclusively for the past several weeks.

If you have an ft817, I recommend it.

ON6AB Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2010 10:30 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you're in doubt between the Z817 and the Electraft T1 for your FT-817,
remember that the Z-817 has a PASS TROUGH connection for computer control.
With the T1 and an (optional) computer cable, you either have computer control or automatic tuning. NOT BOTH!

VA7ION Rating: 3/5 Nov 10, 2009 15:14 Send this review to a friend
Good tuner, poor design  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got my tuner a few days ago, very impressed with the speed it find a match. Is not as complex as an Z-11Pro, but it does a nice job for portable work. One shortcoming: back face CAT ports are cut too small and the cables you buy from third parties don't fit! I'd like to use all features this little box offer when I use my SCS PTC-IIusb modem, unfortunately I will have to make my own cable as the one I already bought don't fit, and you can't tune on a Pactor signal, TX bursts are too short. Even the CAT cable provided with the tuner doesn't fit both ends. Curious what the answer from LDG will be, if they ever care about "small" issues, product is over an year old, this should have been addressed by now. I own many LDG products and I would quote them outstanding, but until I hear back from LDG I will refrain buying anything else from them. BTW, you can't put it in top of an FT-817, it cover the speaker: how many of you get an external speaker when go portable/mobile?

WF6L Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2009 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Z-817 is an awesome complement ot the FT-817 QRP tranceiver. Easy to set-p and easy to operate. I am using it with a Buddypole and get great reports from the field! Thanks LDG!

KI2K Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2009 07:33 Send this review to a friend
Perfect Fit- Fair Price- First Impressions  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
LDG deserves praise for this one. Is a very nice compliment to the 817 rig. I also have the Z100 that I use in the shack, and is nice to see the company evolving their products.

I have built and use the Emtech ZM-2, which is effective enough for QRP, but is not an autotuner, is chintzy as the day is long from a "feel" perspective, and if you were to buy pre-built, costs 3/4 the price of the Z-817. (Not trying to bash the ZM-2 so much as wanting to make the point about the value-versus-price of the Z-817.)

The only things I would change on the Z-817:

- instead of relying on the number of flashes on the two (red and green) LEDs for indication of status, might be nice to have another color or another LED in the mix- like yellow to indicate bypass mode was activated, or a separate LED to tell that VSWR exceeds 3:1- something along those lines.

- include a laminated "pocket card" that could fit in the go-bag to remind you of the various LED combination's worth of info

- maybe a battery compartment more accessible than removing four screws

- Make the picture on the box match the tuner, and in the manual there is a reference "if not using the 817, proceed to step 10", but the steps aren't numbered (nit-picky, I know)

Other than that- what a gem. Great manual, nice extra info on antenna theory. Perfect dimensions, and the CAT pass-through will serve well on the digital modes.

Well-done, LDG.

WA4JM Rating: 4/5 Mar 28, 2009 10:03 Send this review to a friend
Z-817 Tuner with Ten-Tec Argo V  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received my new tune just the other day from AES in Orlando.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
The unit was packed well both from the manufacturer and AES. When I removed the tuner from the packaging material and place it on the table, I noticed that it was not sitting level. An inspection on the bottom revealed that one of the rubber feet was missing. Thinking that it may have fallen off I looked around in the bag and box hoping to find it. No luck. So either it fell off during the packaging process or it was never there to start with. A trip to Wal-Mart for new feet fixed the problem.

INITIAL START-UP
Installed the batteries as per the instructions. YOU NEED TO READ THE MANUAL! Especially, if you do not use it with a FT-718. My rig of choice is the Ten-Tec Argonaut V. After reading the manual, I found that the tuner worked very nicely.

OBSERVATIONS:
My antenna situation is a 135 foot flat-top fed with about 25 feet of 300 ohm ladder-line. The feet point is only 15-18 feet off the ground. There is a 4:1 current balun attached to the base of the feedline and a shot piece of coax to the tuner.

I was able to obtain a match in the lower end of 80 meters but could not match at frequencies in the higher end of the band. This no doubt is a result of the odd line length I have here. On 40, 20 15 and 10 meters it easily found matches with this antenna. On 17 meters it struggled. Again, I think it’s related to the line length and not the tuner.

PROS:
Internal Power
Light Weight
One Button Tuning

CONS:
“Final Inspection” process may be lacking
Made in Taiwan? Seems like someone right here in the United States should be smart enough to build these things. It has a US address on it and then says “Made in Taiwan.”

KX5F Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2009 09:17 Send this review to a friend
Works Great So Far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Using this with my FT-817nd, and so far its great. I have had several other tuners and they all worked but not as seamless as this one. 73 Patrick

VE3XNB Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2009 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am very pleased with this divice. It workd great. I previously was using a Z-100, but this proved to be slightly inconvenient. The "one touch" feature on the 817 is great. I use this in my portable station with my FT-817. My base is an FT-840 with an AT-100PRO.
The ONLY thing I did not like was the picture on the box was different then the tuner IN the box.
I like the tuner in the box better. This did not prove to be a problem at all.

KF8KL Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2009 15:32 Send this review to a friend
A no-brainer!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For anyone who has the Yaesu FT-817 this one is a no-brainer. Easy to set up, easy to use--nothing could be simpler. AND, what's more it works like a champ. I used to own the Elecraft T1 and find the LDG 817Z works better for me. I'm using a 75 meter dipole up only 30 feet or so but remarkably the tuner will let me work on all bands. Bravo to LDG for a great accessory for the 817.

KA3EHL Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2009 15:00 Send this review to a friend
Recomended  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got the unit new from outlet. Set up with ft-817 was very easy. Only tested on one antenna so far and matched my stealth antenna very quickly. Tunning was very fast. So far I recomend this unit with the ft-817.