Reviews Categories | Specialized Amateur Communication Products | LP-PAN / LP-PAN 2 Help

Reviews Summary for LP-PAN / LP-PAN 2
LP-PAN / LP-PAN 2 Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $250.
Description: LP-PAN 2 is a hardware decoder which is optimized for use with a receiver's IF output. When coupled with free customized SDR software, it provides an integrated real time display and more. When used with radios like the Elecraft K3 or Yaesu FTdx5000, it provides the best of both worlds... world class performance linked to world class software. Features include realtime spectrum and waterfall displays, point-and-click graphic tuning for both VFOs, one click band and mode control, automatic K3 IF/DSP offset tracking, dual receiver capability with one receiver, and more. LP-PAN 2 comes with serial port bridging software, which provides simultaneous sharing of the rig and multiple rig control programs such as loggers, CW Skimmer, PSK programs and others. LP-PAN 2 is available for most radios with an IF output jack, as well as some which can be modified to add one.
More info: http://www.telepostinc.com/

You can write your own review of the LP-PAN / LP-PAN 2.

NG9W Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2014 11:52 Send this review to a friend
LP-PAN 2 Works As Good As Ever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Replaced my LP-PAN on my FT-950 with an LP-PAN 2 for a FTdx3000. Plug-and-play. Using NaP3 for panadapter software.

W7ARX Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2013 19:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Device and Great Assistance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Running the LP Pan and bugging Larry with stupid questions, he always comes back with great service and help! LP Pan works great on my 1000MP and great band scope and don't have to fork out 1000's to get it. Thanks Larry!!!

WA0TPN Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2013 17:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am very impressed using the LP-PAN2.

Initially I had difficulty with mirrored images and worked for days to resolve. The solution was easy! I made two 12" audio cables using RG-58 coaxial cable between the LP-PAN2 and EMU-0204 USB external sound card and all imaging problems were immediately solved. The transceiver is the Elecraft K3. The operating system is Windows 7.

In fact, the spectrum scope and rig control functionality is fantastic! It is great to see all the band activity displayed on the spectrum. A simply click on the desired signal accurately tunes the rig.

In addition, the LP-Bridge software is easy to install and configure and works great. I am currently running NaP3, DXLabs suite, FLDIGI, and the CW Skimmer simultaneously and each works without conflict. ...beautiful!

I am enjoying the pan adapter, spectrum display, and integrated software much more than I expected. Highly recommended!

W6HDG Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2013 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Three thumbs up!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the most transformational piece of hardware I have purchased in 50 years of ham radio. You need to use this with a radio with an IF output. You become "one" with the band you are operating. Working DX - especially splits becomes much more intuitive. The mouse clickability of any signal on a big computer monitor makes this so much more useful that the small, non-interactive scopes they stick on rigs (ala Icom, FTdx3000, SM5000, DMU2000 etc).

I use the Ftdx3000, LP-PAN2, eMu 0204 sound card (for 192 kHz spectrum display) and a Windows 7 machine. Join the Yahoo LP-PAN group to learn more. Howard W6HDG

AB4BJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2013 13:07 Send this review to a friend
Great addition to FTDX-3000  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently added the LP-PAN 2 to my Yaesu FTDX-3000 station and am very pleased. I used the Creative E-MU 0204 external soundcard with my Windows 7, 64 bit system and set up was easy and straight forward. I chose to use the NaP3 software and find that it is very similar to using the Flex PSDR software (I have previously owned the Flex 1500, 3000 and 5000). With the excellent receive capability of the FTDX-3000 combined with the LP-Pan 2 panadapter, I have a "point and shoot" transceiver that is a joy to operate.

Since I use a SteppIR Big IR Mark III vertical, I also installed the LP Bridge software to help everything work together. So, when I click on a signal that is displayed by LP-Pan 2 on the NaP3 software, my radio and antenna stay synced to the same frequency. Even better, when I use the DX Lab software to find a DX spot, clicking on the spot will also result in syncronized frequency changes across all of the hardware.

For the money, this is a great investment for your station, especially if you are interested in combining the best of the SDR experience to your transceiver with an IF output.

W9RPM Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2013 12:59 Send this review to a friend
Great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had the LP Pan2 for a few months, and it really helps on picking out the signals. Great addition.

G0TMX Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2013 03:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Addition to the Shack  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently built myself a K3 and wanted to have Panadapter ability too, and was initially considering the matching Elecraft P3, which is an excellent piece of kit.
Then, I saw a demonstration of Larry's LP-PAN2..
Feeding from the IF output from the K3, the LP2 works perfectly straight from the box. Software to run the device with a number of rigs is available from Telepost's website and installed without issue.
I've found Larry's support to be first class.
Running with Nap3 and LP-Bridge software, I'm very pleased to now have an SDR type of radio station again without issues of latency etc. I experienced with other set ups..

KG6AF Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2012 12:45 Send this review to a friend
An excellent panadapter interface  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the kit version of the LP-PAN and preamplifier for my K3-based station. Both kits were easy to assemble, thanks to the well-marked PC boards and the clear instructions. (Current LP-PANs incorporate the preamp and LP-PAN on a single PC board, making assembly even easier.) I hooked up the LP-PAN between the K3 and my laptop, installed the (free) NaP3 software, and after a little (OK, a lot of) fooling around, found myself with an excellent, high-update-rate panadapter. I can't say enough about how much the panadapter adds to operating. It's amazing the things you see above and below your operating frequency that you'd never have been aware of otherwise -- pileups, the start of a contest, mysterious QRM, obscure transmission modes in unexpected places, you name it. NaP3 can also demodulate signals, giving you a sub-receiver that can be used anywhere in the passband being monitored.

Let me add a couple of comments for those considering an LP-PAN. First, I'll predict that the biggest problem you'll face is the sound card. To make the panadapter useful, you'll want a sound card that samples at a minimum of 96 kHz, with 192 kHz being preferable. The sound cards that sample at these rates can be somewhat temperamental. In particular, the Windows drivers for a lot of these devices are--how can I put this tactfully?--junk. For example, while others have had better luck, I was unable to get a Creative EMU-0204 sound card to work with my W7 x64 machine. Against all advice, I finally used the 96 kHz sound card in my laptop, and while it's not a great sound card, it turned out to be plenty good enough.

Second, if you're using the LP-PAN with a K3, and if you have multiple programs trying to talk to your K3 via the RS-232 port, be sure to install and use Larry's free program, LP-Bridge. It takes a bit of work to set up, but I've found it to be invaluable. Larry also provides a version of LP Bridge for transceivers other than the K3; never having used it, I can't comment on its capabilities.

KE2WY Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2012 16:56 Send this review to a friend
a bit tough but well worth the effort  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the unit assembled as I didn't have the time to do the kit. So, I can't speak to the kit, parts, etc. Looking at the assembled unit I don't judge it to be a difficult task. I assembled a K2, and after than anything is easy.

I just finished the WAE using LPPan. I wasn't quite sure how it would fit in, but by the end of the contest I found it indispensable. I have not used the P3, so I can't make a comparison. What I can say is that LPPan produces a magnificent display with sharp detail and a wide range of adjustments that allows each user to customize the display to his/her liking. I like having the display on the station monitor, because I don't have to divert my vision to somewhere else to get the visual info and because I have limited real estate for ham gear. I can make the display small or stretch it all the way across the monitor. Each size has its own use. Watching SSB signals with a wide display is very instructive.

Operationally, in a contest, one can find open frequencies for running immediately. No tuning around is necessary. In S&P, one can immediately go to the strong stations, pick them off, and then move to weaker stations, etc. Different bands can be checked immediately and completely for activity. It saves a lot of time tuning and wondering.

As Larry, N8LP, himself says, computer chops are required to get the unit up and running successfully. Not that there are any secrets; after it's running everything is obvious. It's just that there are a lot of adjustable parameters, both in LPPan and the computer, that influence its operation. Larry was patient and indispensable in helping me to get operational. He answered all emails in quick time and with helpful info. His service could not have been better.

The unit and display have lived up to any and all expectations. It's a great operational helper. Once one has seen and worked with a panadapter of this quality, there's no turning back, and this one makes the trip worth while.

...robert KE2WY

AE3K Rating: 2/5 Jul 7, 2012 12:23 Send this review to a friend
missing parts, unresponsive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really like the idea of this kit, and the fact that he is doing it. And I appreciate the opportunity that this kit gives me, as a software developer, to play with writing my own DSP software (in addition to the available free software).

But I was disappointed that parts were missing from the parts bag in the kit that he shipped to me. Others have reported similar experiences. Indeed, the assembly manual suggests to check the parts "to allow you to start the process of obtaining replacement parts as soon as possible if needed."

I sent him email suggesting that, you know, put the parts in the bag please, and I gave him a complete list of the missing parts. I never heard from him. Maybe my frustration and annoyance put him off.

So I had to order the replacement parts myself, from Mouser. BTW, Mouser is great.

So I give this product, and more particularly this vendor, 2 stars.

This product costs $200 including shipping, so in my opinion the parts should be sent, preferably the first time. To not send them at all is really bad.

I would feel differently if this were a $25 circuit board, plus a bag of most of the parts I need. (And that would be fine.) But it's not. It's $200 for a circuit board, a bag of parts, an enclosure, and in my experience absolutely no customer support.