Reviews Categories | Specialized Amateur Communication Products | LP-PAN / LP-PAN 2 Help

Reviews Summary for LP-PAN / LP-PAN 2
LP-PAN / LP-PAN 2 Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $250.
Description: LP-PAN 2 is a hardware decoder which is optimized for use with a receiver's IF output. When coupled with free customized SDR software, it provides an integrated real time display and more. When used with radios like the Elecraft K3 or Yaesu FTdx5000, it provides the best of both worlds... world class performance linked to world class software. Features include realtime spectrum and waterfall displays, point-and-click graphic tuning for both VFOs, one click band and mode control, automatic K3 IF/DSP offset tracking, dual receiver capability with one receiver, and more. LP-PAN 2 comes with serial port bridging software, which provides simultaneous sharing of the rig and multiple rig control programs such as loggers, CW Skimmer, PSK programs and others. LP-PAN 2 is available for most radios with an IF output jack, as well as some which can be modified to add one.
More info: http://www.telepostinc.com/

You can write your own review of the LP-PAN / LP-PAN 2.

K4IA Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2011 11:53 Send this review to a friend
Masterpiece  Time owned: more than 12 months
Larry has done a great job with this. It is the most useful accessory in my shack. I feel lost if it is not running.

Mine is one of the first units - in kit form. Kit assembly is reasonably easy. It doesn't have the excruciatingly detailed instructions of an Elecraft kit. More like "Install the resistors" and then you sort them out and find the right holes.

My rig is a K3 and I use an EMU 0202 outboard USB sound card and a dual core computer. The on-board sound cards delivered in most computers aren't high enough quality and may show spurs and distortion. A single core computer might not have enough power to run the software. A second monitor is handy (they're cheap these days) so you have plenty of room to run a logging program with all its windows and the pandapter. Your mileage may vary.

The software is evolving. Good now but getting better all the time. You'll need/want several free programs to get it all working. LP Bridge integrates computer control of your radio, logging program, and the LP-PAN through one USB port. PowerSDR provides the Ham Radio Deluxe visual interface that shows the pandapter screen and provides computer-screen control of the radio ala Flex.

What you get - An amazing large display of band activity on your computer screen. Point and click to a station or use your tuning knob and see the spectrum move. Spot a band opening with one glance. See the pileup and the all-important hole where no is calling.

This is great stuff and well worth the investment.

KG0MN Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2011 07:35 Send this review to a friend
The perfect addition to the station  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently added the IF-2000 board and the LP-Pan to my new FT-950 and I could not be happier with the way in which it operates and actually shows me what the various controls on the radio actually do to a signal. I this day and age of multi-thousand dollar radios if you can add something to your station that cost less than that of a high quality microphone you can easily justify purchasing it.

N2TU Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2011 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Quality product and Support+  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
In an attempt to get DXCC on 6 meters (without F2 propagation!), I decided to add the LP-Pan to my FT5000MP. What a wonderful addition! The Bandscope is unreal!

Larry, N8LP is known for his quality and the LP-Pan is no exception. It is very well built, extremely well thought out,easy to use and truly functional. The product documentation is better than most big box manufacturers and his website will easily walk you through the set-up.

Larry is also known for his excellent customer service a fact I can attest to! Within hours (and sometimes minutes), Larry responds to questions.

It was a pleasure meeting Larry at Dayton. His company(and Larry) is an asset to the ham community.

K7NG Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2011 07:35 Send this review to a friend
Great accessory!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have spent a lot of time with the LP-PAN (& PowerSDR-IF software) in the weeks since I assembled mine. Mine is configured for the Kenwood TS-940/950, and I'm using a Firewire Audiophile audio interface (96 KHz). It's hard to write a review for just the LP-PAN box, since it doesn't do anything without the appropriate software, so I'm including what I found out about the software also.
(1) A panadaptor display better than this would be hard to find.
(2) Quality of demodulated SSB and AM via the PowerSDR software is absolutely fantastic. And the 'brick wall' filtering of SDR's does make a real difference on a crowded band.
(3) Trying to set up to receive DRM SWBC is a kludge beyond redemption, so I forgot I ever wanted to do it.
(4) The 'physical' image rejection adjustment of the LP-PAN (turning a trimpot)doesn't seem to have any real effect(I'm wondering if the pot is even there), but the automatic/software image rejection adjustment gets me between 55 and 60 dB rejection, adequate for almost any activity. I have to re-do the image rejection every time I restart the software, it seems.
(5) The dynamic range of the subsystem (LP-PAN + Audiophile) appears to be limited, where strong signals 'crack' on peaks... PowerSDR has a nice software AGC with an adjustable threshold which will manage this pretty well.
(6) The frequency offset settings in PowerSDR-IF take a while to get just right, but you don't need to mess with them once set properly. Using the IQ Demodulation in Multipsk or Spectrum Lab, for instance, is much harder to keep set up, but that's not a reflection on the LP-PAN.
(7) I found out that there are lots of things that come out of the TS-950 IF port I don't want to see. Again, that's not the LP-PAN's problem!
(8) Don't try to assemble the unit under fluorescent light - some resistor color bands look like others... Incandescents should never be forgotten!

Don't expect much in the way of results with the sound card that comes with your PC (or the internal sound system of a laptop). Plan to spend some money for one of the units that Larry mentions on his web page.

The LP-PAN + sound interface are just about the best value of a station accessory I've spent money on in a very long time.

NG9W Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2011 20:52 Send this review to a friend
Brings SDR to my FT-950  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought the LP-PAN for FT-950/FT-200 to use with a pre-owned FT-950. Using RF-SPACE IF-2000 and Creative E-MU 0202 USB sound card. Gives me a triplex receiver and up to 190 kHz of panadapter using PowerSDR/IF. Essentially most of the features of a FlexRadio FLEX-5000A with rX2 and ATU for about the cost of a FLEX-3000. See also my review of the Yaesu FT-950 PEP.

David, NG9W (formerly KE1IN)

K4OLS Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2011 12:52 Send this review to a friend
LP-pan with Kenwood Ts-850 / dsp-100 set-up with SDR IF STAGE  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I love my old Kenwood TS-850 with the Dsp-100.But I really missed having a band scope. I already used HRD to control the rig so changing to SDR IF Stage (free) in conjunction with LP-Pan adapter was no brainier. Now I can spot signals on the band and also see signal width ( ESSB) and there characteristics.I chose the EMU 0202 sound card to feed my old IBM notebook and it all works like flawlessly. Also Larry at Telepost is a great guy with a great product

WG2Y Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2011 14:33 Send this review to a friend
Great addition to my shack  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I recently purchased the kit version for my TS 850s.
The documentation was excellent.The calibration seemed a little tricky at first but once I got the hang of it all went well. Kudos to the people who modified PowerSDR to help me make this possible. Now my TS850 works somewhat like a Flex without the big dollar investment.The sound card info the Larry provided was also very helpful. I am using the EMU-2000 with great results as compared to the built in sound card on my computer.

W6JMF Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2011 16:21 Send this review to a friend
kit review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I built the kit and so this review is geared to the specifics there.

The kit comes with the SMD parts already on. The parts you have to solder in are reasonably easy to do with a little magnification, a temp controlled ESD safe iron, good lighting and a bit o' patience. You'll also need a DVM for voltage and current checks. I'd also suggest an anti-static mat/wriststrap (with resistor). The process is a bit time consuming (initially) since you have to locate the positions on the board. As you get the board built up, it gets quicker. Make sure you have good cool white lighting or you'll confuse a few of the resistors (violet and black look the same under a warm fluorescent). The board itself is very high quality.

Each "Family" of radios has specific caps and Xtal. Make sure your parts bag is marked for your radio.

The instructions are clear and there's nothing really tricky. It probably shouldn't be your first kit, but OTOH, if you know which end of the soldering iron to hold and have a light touch, it should assemble without much problem.

There are a few post-build tweaks you can do for the output levels and the filters. Neither needs a scope. Having said that, if something DOES go wrong, an O'scope will be very helpful.

Larry effectively gets $50 to assemble and test, and in retrospect that might of been the better idea. Depends on how valuable your time is and how well equipped your workstation is.

I'd actually knock off a few tenths of a point. My kit was missing 5 caps and 2 screws. Larry was more than willing to make it right, but the parts were dirt cheap and nearby, so it wasn't worth the bother.

K3GC Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2011 13:43 Send this review to a friend
LP-PAN awesome - service spectacular  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got mine setup this weekend and I am still learning it. It is all that previous reviews have stated and more. I can't wait for the next contest. I expect it will make a big difference in finding those elusive, weak stations. Did I say it is great eye candy.

Now, for the real reason I am writing this review. Larry's service is beyond anything I have ever experienced and in the amateur radio world I have grown accustomed to great service.

Due to a mix up I was initially sent the wrong unit. Larry phoned me about it before I had even discovered the problem. This was on a Thursday night. He built a new LP-PAN that evening and shipped it the next day overnight, Saturday delivery. FANTASTIC. He has also been extremely responsive to questions.

Problems and glitches are an inevitable part of business. It is how they are dealt with that determines the real winners. Larry is the best.

KG4CBJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2010 08:57 Send this review to a friend
If ya aint got one get one  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
New call W8GAB. Purchased to add a nice visual touch to a great rig K3. The PL-Pan actually influnced my final decision to own a K3. This in light of what the competition is doing by turning their rigs into "Bass Boats." That is buy an onscreen display module for a grand.

The LP-Pan is a fantastic device so simple yet so effective. Larry has been so helpful in understanding what is going on with all the related software and he in part helped me diagnose that our K3 actually had a KIO board go out. We thought is was the computer or the interface cable. Ours is being run on a HP computer with an onboard sound card. Hope to go to a firewire based interface in the near future, however this one works fine. Larry also told me to listen to the LP through the computer and you get the benefit of the Power SDR's noise reduction. You could spend up to five times the cost of this product and still not do any better.