Reviews Categories | Specialized Amateur Communication Products | LP-PAN / LP-PAN 2 Help

Reviews Summary for LP-PAN / LP-PAN 2
LP-PAN / LP-PAN 2 Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $250.
Description: LP-PAN 2 is a hardware decoder which is optimized for use with a receiver's IF output. When coupled with free customized SDR software, it provides an integrated real time display and more. When used with radios like the Elecraft K3 or Yaesu FTdx5000, it provides the best of both worlds... world class performance linked to world class software. Features include realtime spectrum and waterfall displays, point-and-click graphic tuning for both VFOs, one click band and mode control, automatic K3 IF/DSP offset tracking, dual receiver capability with one receiver, and more. LP-PAN 2 comes with serial port bridging software, which provides simultaneous sharing of the rig and multiple rig control programs such as loggers, CW Skimmer, PSK programs and others. LP-PAN 2 is available for most radios with an IF output jack, as well as some which can be modified to add one.
More info: http://www.telepostinc.com/

You can write your own review of the LP-PAN / LP-PAN 2.

WZ0O Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2010 04:42 Send this review to a friend
WoW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been running the LP-PAN with my K-3 about 2 months. Set up was not the quickest as there was a conflect with the sound card and Vista 64.
Larry to the rescue and now it works great. Using the panafall combo those weak ones just pop right up. Not bad for less then $300.00 for the LP-PAN and the sound card.

VA3RKO Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2010 08:55 Send this review to a friend
TS-950SD with LP-PAN - Awesome Combo!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nothing technical needs to be rehashed.... The addition of the LP-PAN panadapter along with the PowerSDR/IF stage software to my venerable Kenwood TS-950SD was straight forward with the awesome support of Larry Phipps N8LP. Throught email and a quick phone call, the whole process went well. The Panadapter is a well made product that adds a new dimension to my Amateur Radio shack. Great product.

W0WOI Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2010 10:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product and Company  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The LP-PAN is well-built and adds another dimension to operating. Interfacing factory-assembled S/N 815 with my K3 and computer was little problem other than a self-imposed "senior moment'.

An E-mail to N3LP on a Saturday evening (yet) brought a most useful response within 30 minutes and I was on the way to watching grass grow.

Excellent quality product exceeded only by unmatched customer service.

VE3WDM Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2010 16:41 Send this review to a friend
Quality product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had purchased and assembled the LP 100A and was very impressed with Larry's product. So I took the plunge and ordered the LP Pan. I have read many reviews on this product and just ordered an Elecraft K3 and wanted a pan adapter to go along with it, Larry's seemed to be the obvious choice for me. The kit went together like a breeze in the end it is a very professional looking product you assemble yourself. In the manual Larry does say to read over the information for setup with the PowerSDR very carefully. I did have some hiccups along the way but the email support is perfect and set me on the right path for getting the LP Pan my K3 and the PowerSDR software working flawlessly. There is some setup that has to be done but well worth the the outcome of an excellent pan adapter that works in sync with your radio. I would like to also mention Larry's LP Bridge which is software that allows my K3, N1MM and PowerSDR to live with each other happily ever after. Another great product Larry thanks !!!

KA4KOE Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2009 07:41 Send this review to a friend
My TS-940 Has New Life Too!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am completely blown away by the capabilties the LP-PAN unit has added to my venerable Kenwood TS-940S. There is not much to add to the results stated in these revieww, but needless to say, I won't be using the inboard speaker much. The unfiltered IF from the 940' sounds FABULOUS fed through the computer's sound system. And, you get a well thought out SDR as well.

Users of the Kenwood TS-940S will need to get the interface board from Piexx and install it. This is not an easy task, as the many plugs and edge connectors demand that the brave ham take his time, lest he cause more problems, as I did....ahem.

The LP-PAN unit, in conjunction with PowerSDR/IF and Ham Radio Deluxe, is well worth what Larry asks for it. Buy the ready-made unit only if you are not good at kit building and comfortable working around electronics with static-sensitive components that go BYE BYE if you're not careful.

However, all that being said, you MUST have a good sound card in your confuser (PC), and you MUST read the manual to set the LP-PAN panadapter up for proper operation. This is not a plug and play unit. You should be comfortable working with soundc ard drivers. Stock computer main on-board sound cards MAY work, as mine does, but it may not work well. My Pentium Dual Core 2.2 GHz P4 has the on-board sound card, but as some experience, you may have artifacts in the display, as I do.

Good job Larry! Thanks for a neat product. I always liked the panadapter in my Icom 756PRO which I sold to get my '940, but I never did like the poor receiver in that radil.

Philip Neidlinger, PE
KA4KOE

KC2RGW Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2009 13:02 Send this review to a friend
TS-940 has new life  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
No bench numbers here, test equipment blah blah, I just plugged it in and fired it all up.

I bought a TS-940 at a fair price intentionally to make a "Franken Flex" out of it.

With the LP-PAN I now have full control over my RX with filtering options only the very latest rigs are capable of and actually ...beyond.

I'm using it with the PowerSDR-IF Stage and also Winrad so far. The filtering is much nicer than the filters on the 940 and the noise reduction and other options available are fantastic too.

One point that QST completely trampled past and many other reviewers of the hybrid panadapter IF setups overlook is the quality of using this system for the actual receiver and not just as a visual panadapter.

The whole reason I did this was to use it as the actual receiver with my 940 and the audio with all the DSP NR and infinitely variable width and shift with filtering is _amazing_. No comparison to using the rig itself.

I have a BHI ANEM DSP for AF DSP which is remarkable in itself, but with SDR software running, for the first time I don't even need to use the BHI.

How QST could even 'review' this setup and never even try using the audio for receive is beyond me. It was a huge disservice to this piece and the benefits of using PowerSDR or Winrad for that matter.

If a reviewer didn't understand how to channel the output audio properly....what kind of review was it? They missed half the picture easily.

The LP-PAN is a well made piece of hardware that completely transforms old gear extending another decade of usefulness to it. If you have a Kenwood TS-450/830/870/940/950 kicking around already and you aren't afraid of some fiddling around with new concepts and a bit of cable making...you will be amazed at the payoff.

KB3NAA Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2009 05:08 Send this review to a friend
LP-Pan and kenwood TS-870s  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the LP-PAN after talking with a friend who owns a K3 and added it in his shack. Looking at the site it certainly did support the 8.83 MHz IF freq of the kenwood radios. I wondered though how good the experience would be. In the end there was enough information to suggest that it would be worthwhile. Make certain that you let Larry know you're intended operation, it makes a difference.

All I can say is wow. I thought this would be a neat accessory - but it is quickly becoming my favorite way to operate. I use it of course to watch the band (192 KHz with emu-0202 sound card) but also find it useful for just about anything I want to know about the signals I'm receiving.

I had one or two minor issues on set up - I found a power supply that was noisy in the shack. I also found support to be prompt and thorough.

Thanks Larry - Great product.

NV7E Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2008 09:29 Send this review to a friend
Perfect panadaptor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the Flex 5000A which I originally ordered because the initial slow delivery of the Elecraft K3 unit I had also ordered. I received my Flex transceiver first. After you use the Flex with the PowerSDR program and its great panadaptor display for even a little while, using any other radio gives you the impression that you are operating blind. The K3 is a fantastic radio, but I missed the panadaptor. When Elecraft first announced the K3 it planned to add a panadaptor as an accessory, but it has yet to appear.

Larry, N8LP has now introduced a panadaptor system for the K3 in the form of the LP-PAN. I got his LP-100 wattmeter before and love it. I ordered the LP-PAN assembled from the fifth production run. It is a little black box which you use with a high-end sound card to access the PowerSDR program. I got an EMU-0202 USB outboard sound card on eBay to use with the LP-PAN. That sound card is much better than the one you normally find in a PC. It is designed mainly for professional musicians. It can handle a higher bandwidth than most sound cards. It meshes well with the demanding requirements of PowerSDR. With the sound card, the whole LP-PAN setup costs about $350.

The version of PowerSDR for the LP-PAN is not the same you use with the Flex 5000A. It is a specialized version by WU2X called PowerSDR/IF, mainly used with the SoftRock devices, which are popular for people who want to play with software defined radio. You download the WU2X program free. It works with a free program from N8LP called LP-Bridge. After getting the correct connecting cables together, I was able to get the LP-PAN going in fairly short order following the instructions from the N8LP website.

The panadaptor display using the LP-PAN setup looks just like the one with the regular PowerSDR version for the Flex 5000A, but operating the K3 with the LP-PAN is not completely the same as using PowerSDR with the Flex 5000A. The difference is that the LP-PAN system provides mainly just a panadaptor, not a complete operating platform as for the FlexRadio transceivers. About half of the controls on the WU2X version of PowerSDR do not function. The buttons for bands and modes do work and you get readouts of the same frequencies as displayed on the K3. The panadaptor itself works the same as with the regular PowerSDR for the FlexRadio products. You can whip from one end of a band to the other with your mouse and fine-tune with your mouse wheel. Once you realize the differences of the LP-PAN system versus the FlexRadio system, you remember that all the knobs, buttons filters, etc., on the K3 itself still work fine, but now you also have the perfect panadaptor you always dreamed of.

The K3 is a great rig, which the LP-PAN makes even greater. I am very pleased with the LP-PAN and recommend it highly to people I like.

ZS6SIG

N4XD Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2008 10:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product and Support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As others have said, excellent product and superior support.

Details:

Bought kit and it arrived in a matter of days. Longest part of assembly was reading the color code on the 1/8W resistors. Needed a magnifying glass for that and to ease assembly. Kit is relatively easy. A fine tipped grounded soldering iron and an anti static mat are needed.

To use the pan adapter you must also run Power SDR as modified by WU2X. That allows the software to take an IF input (I use mine with the K3. Larry has options for the Orion and other radios with IF outputs).

The software is not difficult to set up but it does involve several steps. While not what I'd call "plug and play" certainly manageable by anyone who has ever loaded a Windows program. Make a few changes to various pages and you are up and ready to go.

Larry lists several tested sound cards. I'm using one that is not on the list but works well. The only hitch I ran into, and was helped out of by Larry, was my sound card doesn't offer separate left and right channel inputs but rather one stereo input. Need to use a splitter to split out both channels individually. I had several what I thought were splitter cables but what they did was just duplicate the stereo output on both connectors. One even had the pigtails color coded red and white which to me means separate channels.

Larry diagnosed the problem when I wrote him an email about not being able to null out the image on the display. Once I solved this cable problem was able to completely null out any image (ghost signal).

With this combination of hardware and software the radio will control the software or visa versa: you change frequency on the radio and the software follows. Point and click on a peak in the pan adapter and the radio will follow. change modes: same thing. An excellent tool and well worth the minor $$ invested.

N4XD

W4GIW Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2008 10:04 Send this review to a friend
Great addittion to K3  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
An outstanding product. It produces the best panadapter that I have ever seen. Its use with the K3 gives you all the receive benifits of an SDR radio like Flex but you still have a radio with all the knobs that works great without a computer when you want to use it that way.

The backup support for the LP-Pan is outstanding and Larry N8LP always is available for assistance. When used with his Bridge software program which is free, the attachement of Lp-Pan to the K3 is seamless.

If you have any interest in SDR radio I urge you to visit www.telepostinc.com and look at what Larry has to offer.