Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | ADI AR-247 Help

Reviews Summary for ADI AR-247
ADI AR-247 Reviews: 37 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $209.99
Description: AR-247 1.35 Meter (222 MHz) Mobile
More info: http://www.adi-radio.com/amateurradio/mobiles/Default.htm

You can write your own review of the ADI AR-247.

W1SWR Rating: 2/5 Mar 31, 2006 07:32 Send this review to a friend
Not smart  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My new AR-247 lost it's output power.
Sent it back to factory for repair.
It was 3 months old. They send me another radio with
scratches on case and face. It was an older radio that they had fixed. I kind of like to keep my equipment clean and no marks or scratches just in case of resale. Not happy with them and for the most part as the saying goes ( you get what you pay for )

Steve

WA9ENA Rating: 4/5 Mar 29, 2006 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Solid rig, but details lacking  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I put my new AR-247 on the air in late December, 2005. I immediately noticed that the "Down" buton on the mic was intermittant, but that has improved with usage. I also had a few QSOs during which it seemed as if there was a loose connection in the receiver, but that issue cleared up with usage, too. Then, just one month after putting it on the air, the final apparently died. The rig would transmit for a few seconds and then drop to zero output power, but drawing lots of 13.6VDC current.

The good news is that Pryme stood behind the product. I shipped the rig to them and they sent me another rig in return. I have had the replacement rig for a few weeks, so I am in hopes that it will keep on running. I believe that the replacement rig was another that had been returned. I suspect that repairs may take awhile, so Pryme rotates rigs in order to provide fast service. That's OK with me, as long as the rig keeps going.

Other than the final failure and mic button incident, I am real happy with this rig. Receive audio is good and there's plenty of it, even with the internal speaker. The LCD panel is easy to read and the rig has produced reports of great xmit audio by those folks who know my "live" voice. We have a fair amount of 223.500 activity around my area, so the rig gets plenty of use.

I only have 2 negatives: I find the use of the Memory button to both start and stop memory scanning to be a pain. It might be OK to start scanning, but scanning should stop (and stay stopped) when you hit the mic PTT button. The other appears to be a receiver design problem: Several times, I have copied stations that were half to full scale on the relative signal meter, but which were NOT "full quieting" to the ears. That tells me the receiver has a very weird quieting slope that differs from all other FM receivers in my shack (and I have lots of them).

All in all, I gave the AR-247 a "4" because of the early final failure, the intermittant internal connection (that "cured" itself), the non-standard way to stop scanning, and the intermittant mic button right out of the box. These are balanced by excellent audio, great support service from Pryme, adequate memories, and a mic, that although it is large, is easy for me to hold and is comfortable to use. A few other hams in my area have the AR-247 and their comments have been mixed. One fellow said that his has spent more time on the repair bench than on the air. The others have had no problems. I am enjoying the rig and hope to do so for a very long time.

N6HBJ Rating: 4/5 Jan 6, 2006 18:21 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really like this radio. I would have given it a 5 but the microphone cord went bad after a few months and it appears this is not an uncommon problem.

But other than that it has been a reliable performer for about 3 years now in a base installation. Easy to program.

I recommend it.

~Mike
N6HBJ

N0MUD Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2006 23:06 Send this review to a friend
Still a great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Per my Feb 05 edit, I still give this radio a perfect five. I've had no problems at all. I program the radio just like I do all my other radios, enter the freq, the tone and put in memory. So what's so hard about that, it works just like my Yaesu's do and my Kenwood's do. So what if the mic lights stay on, if that's all you have to moan and groan about then sheesh get a life. I use mine as base unit for now but in time I will shift it to the truck. The only problem I've ever had with ADI they fixed immediately for me. I had a AR-147 and it quit working after two years so I sent it back to Pryme/ADI and they sent me a brand new one, even tho it was way out of warranty. To me this was great service. I was treated with respect on the phone and one thing I had mentioned to the tech on the phone was I needed the radio back in time for hunting season and I had it well within the time frame to program the new one and reinstall it back into my truck. Great service and great radios. Buy one you won't go wrong.

73's Mike N0mud

KD2UFO Rating: 3/5 Jan 2, 2006 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Not bad  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased this rig lately. After tuning a J-pole for it, I was on the air. Love the mic. At 6'5" I have big hands, so mic fit perfectly. After transmitting for approx 10 mins on low power I noticed that the rig would "shut transmit" down. As I am using this a a "base" station, I elevated the unit to allow more airflow, and put a more heavy duty power supply on the unit. After corrections, problem has not repeated itself.

N1IZE Rating: 0/5 Jun 8, 2005 18:30 Send this review to a friend
terrible  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the same issue as AC5PS the crackling. I had the rig for about 1 month it worked great would run it only on low power, since the reapeaters are really close. I am a quality manager with a background in plastics, composites, non-ferrous metals and electronics. This is the type of quality adi has-
solder, box, sell for cheap.. as you can see there is no functional testing their performing i.e. quality control. U can read this is many of the disappointing articles. In fact I had a fellow ham drop me an email and say "don't buy the rig" I had already purchased it. I am sending the rig back to AES and told them to credit my account and I would purchase another 220 rig, anyone have suggestions. One of the better rigs I had many moons ago was the ICOM IC38A.. so any suggestions..?? my email address is actman81@yahoo.com...

My advice DON'T BUY THIS RADIO OR ANY ADI PRODUCT UNTIL BETTER QUALITY MEASURES ARE PUT IN PLACE AT THEIR COMPANY

WA6OWH Rating: 4/5 Apr 14, 2005 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Nice looking radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Mine us a used 220 radio and it works great. Yes the mike is a little strange... big but I like the illumination on all the time as I have a dim shack so it makes reading the buttons easy. I also like the low price and beautiful display. Mine runs cool and quiet 25 hours a day... hope it keeps working. Only reason I didn't give it a 5 is because the memory programming is a little awkward and the red light by the on/off switch is very bright (minor gripes). Good radio ADI- keep it up.

N0MUD Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2005 06:51 Send this review to a friend
Still a great Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As per my comments back Jul04, I still have nothing but great accolades for this radio and the company as a whole. I have the ADI AR-247 and per my last comment Jul04 it's still a great radio. I bought this radio for several reasons, the company because of the way they took care of me in the past with their AR-147 2mtr, I've owned the ADI AT-601 dual band which I have sold because I also have the Kenwood TH-F6a triband HT. I bought my ADI AR-247 because of the ease of tuning, ease of use, IE: programing, it is very easy to program. Someone complained because his lights on his mic stay on well so do my lights on my Yaseu FT-8800s, I have three of those mobiles and their lights stay on on the mics. Buy this radio you can't go wrong.

73's de Mike NØmud

KD7EZE Rating: 4/5 Feb 23, 2005 06:42 Send this review to a friend
Another good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
First off, the pic at the top of page one is not an AR-247, as the 147, 247, and 447 all have lighted TT mics. Also, the info link is outdated and dead.

Good radios. I have the 146, 246, 446, and the newer 147, 247, and 447. Never had any problems with any of them. I do recommend using an external speaker with them, but aside from that they have performed full bore. Through the cold snowy winters, high humidity hot summers, and over some of the worst unpaved roads in the country, nothing but dependability and good service.

KB7EFZ Rating: 2/5 Feb 22, 2005 21:06 Send this review to a friend
Poor design? Bad UI!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hmmm... After spending 1.5 years with two of these and a Kenwood 3530, I have to say that the Kenwood is, while quirky, old, and lacking some 'features', quite a bit better radio than the ADI.
The ADI's have a squelch that can't be set 'right' (inadequate hysteresis), the Kenwood has a great squelch. The Kenwood has clear, room filling audio, the ADI's are hard to understand.
The ADI's have a saving grace - they're ~$200. If Yaesu were smart enough to have released the quad-band rig as 2/222/440/1.2, none of us would have heard of Pryme. And yes, I also detest the mic, and to add insult to injury, the lamp can't be turned off on the mic. Get real. While on the subject, what in the name of goodness is direct frequency entry from a mic keypad good for on a radio that only needs to cover 3 MHz? And by the way - if Yaesu had put 222 all-mode in the FT-100D, we'd also not know about Pryme, and the value of IC3xx rigs would also plummet :-)
Did I mention that testing CTCSS codes for repeater access takes many seconds per tone, unlike a real radio that allows you to transmit without leaving the tone selection function and allows you to change the tone between blips on the mic using the up/down keys on the mic? On the ADI, you push something, hold something, make an adjustment, leave the setting function, and then TX. Then you do it again. Hmm... There are a lot of tone frequencies. I never noticed much before having to use this rig to figure out the tone for a remote 222 repeater.
Ok, enough said, the only reason anyone would buy this rig is that it's the only game in town.