Reviews Categories | Emergency/Portable Power: generators, solar, wind, thermal, etc | Eastern Tools & Equipment IN800I 800-Watt 4-Cycle OHV Gas Portab Help

Reviews Summary for Eastern Tools & Equipment IN800I 800-Watt 4-Cycle OHV Gas Portab
Eastern Tools & Equipment IN800I 800-Watt 4-Cycle OHV Gas Portab Reviews: 1 Average rating: 0.0/5 MSRP: $249.95
Description: The ultimate portable power solution by Eastern Tools & Equipment, this unit is equipped with permanent magnet alternator and an OHV gasoline combustion engine. Electricity is generator by turning the rotor outside the stator to change the magnetic flux thus generated dc and convert into AC output. The on board circuitry control air/fuel mixture and carburetor timing and result in a stunning 2% THD pure sine wave output. This unit is enclosed and insulated by a case for better noise reduction. The unit weight under 28 lbs without fuel and it can carry up to half gallon fuel with 3.5 hours runtime. This quiet and dependable generator can provide 800Watt max with 750Watt running. It can power light, radio, small TV ideal for camping and hunting use. Eastern Tools & Equipment IN800i Digital Inverter Generator measures 17.5" x 9.25" x 14.5" (LxWxH) with a net weight of 28lbs. It is cover by a 1 year limited manufacturer warranty. For more information about this product, please visit www.easterntools.com. For customer service please call (877) 668-9151.
More info: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016KXTW4/ref=s9subs_c1_60_at1-rfc_g1-frt_p-3237_g1_si1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1YR2WT1JQ8CCHQSZK5YX&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383351&pf_rd_i=507846

You can write your own review of the Eastern Tools & Equipment IN800I 800-Watt 4-Cycle OHV Gas Portab.

KB8ASO Rating: 0/5 Mar 7, 2013 15:04 Send this review to a friend
Update four years on.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I received the generator from Amazon in Nov. 2008. I popped the box open to see what my gift card had purchased. At first blush the generator looked to be assembled well and the fit and finish were more than acceptable, actually surprising for the price I paid. The owner’s manual left something to be desired but is for the most part useable. There was an addendum and in typical Chinglish hit or miss translation. I added the oil (Mobil 1) and did a cursory check for loose screws or other parts rattling around, and none were found. I added the gas and started the unit and first pull it revved to life. I and I mean revved! This unit runs at a very high RPM. The manual quotes 4200-5500 RPM. Seems to me much higher than the Honda it is trying to clone. I picked the unit up to move it to a place I made to run the first tank of gas through it. The foot fell off and the bolt was lying next to the foot. Made in China quality! Oh well a few seconds with a socket and the foot was back on. I checked the smart throttle to engage it and it was on, or so I thought. The switch is wired backwards! I moved the switch to the smart position after a 3 min warm up and the engine oscillated (surged) in RPM many times before it settled down. It acts like a gummed up carburetor. It maintained this lower RPM while missing occasionally. I applied a load to the generator (500 watt quartz lamp a nice resistive load for the test) to see how it would pick up the load and the engine revved up and handled the load OK. I connected and disconnected the lamp sever times and everything seemed OK. I then tried my old 35 watt Philco 5 tube shop radio to test for RFI. This inverter generator generates lots of very strong broadband RFI. Not one station was received on the old Philco even though it ordinarily receives many from Cincinnati, Louisville and Indianapolis. Not HAM useable. (I also own a Yamaha 2800i and it is stone quiet!) Now the engine started to surge with a load applied. OK maybe it just needs to run to get it broken in. After 20 min it settled down and is running but it is not smooth. Seems to have developed what I can best describe as a partial miss. The manual quotes the noise level to be 53 db @ 23 feet but the website sez 67 db. I think that the website was correct. Also the oil change interval is one month or 10 hours?! My old Briggs and Tecumseh engines can manage 25 hours and the Hondas or Yamahas 100 hours. Whoever copied this unit from the Honda design could not get the gas to flow to the carburetor correctly. What to do? Add a hand operated air pump to the gas cap to pressurize the gas tank? What a dangerous kludge!

Now here is the worst part of the story. The usually return friendly Amazon.com refuses to accept a return on the unit. NICE! Since the unit uses a flammable fuel it cannot be returned. I assured them that I could drain the gas and oil out before I sent it but no return. Now what do I do with it? Ebay? No way! I could not sell it to another person without feeling guilty. I suppose that I can use it until it blows up for running a stove blower, computer, lights or maybe a TV. This generator is loud, runs poorly, unbelievably short oil change intervals and more RFI than you can stand. You get what you pay for.

Update: Returned the generator to ETQ in Late Nov. 2008 under warranty due to the engine still missing and was getting worse. After a couple of weeks I received a different refurbished unit and from what I can see was made up from other returned generators! The case and the engine both had different serial numbers. The generator I send them had matching serial numbers. Neither serial number was from my old generator. The case and engine/generator assembly was obviously used and cleaned up. The refurbished unit ran no better than the generator I originally sent in for repair. It will not even light the 500 watt quartz lamp that the old unit could! $37.51 shipping charges wasted and I received back a used unit with who knows how many hours on the engine and inverter. This generator is (in my opnion after looking at units on display) being resold as the Honeywell model 6064 and Generac iX800. Take my advice, save your money and buy a Honda or Yamaha inverter if you need an inverter style generator. You will not regret it even though they cost 3 - 4 times as much.