Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | ADI AR-447 Help

Reviews Summary for ADI AR-447
ADI AR-447 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $299.99
Description: 70cm UHF Mobile with 81 memories, PL & DCS encode/decode
More info: http://www.adi-radio.com/amateurradio/mobiles/Default.htm

You can write your own review of the ADI AR-447.

AB6MH Rating: 3/5 Mar 6, 2005 05:22 Send this review to a friend
OK, but does have problems.  Time owned: more than 12 months
As someone else mentioned ... the rig did not show any signs of problems until months after purchasing it. It does get hot just sitting idle ... and, as with other rigs that heat-up inside considerably ... you start to get solder points that crack, crumble, ..., depending on the type of solder used, how they were soldered in the first place, etc. If you start to experience the display problem (and the rig is no longer under warranty) get out the jewelers glasses and start inspecting the solder connections for problems. If you don't know how to do that, or don't feel comfortable going into the rig ... get someone else to help/show you how to do this and what to look for. Mine had numerous solder points (specifically, near the display board) that were not all that good. I reheated them with the soldering iron and that seems to have stopped the problem. (Check all of the solder points while you're in there.)

VE5NAT Rating: 4/5 Feb 22, 2005 18:37 Send this review to a friend
awesome  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I love htis radio a lot I use it quite often and it does run a little warm considering the display lights, shortly after i dimmed them down it helped some but i still hooked a fan up to it. I had mine for at least 4 months now on nearly 18 hours a day if not more and see no problems with the display.

KA9VZD Rating: 2/5 Oct 28, 2003 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Cheap  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I’ve had my AR-447 for almost a year. Though it offers a lot of bells & whistles, that also makes it harder to program and operate. Soft keys are nice if you care to remember every function. My biggest complaint…..the display goes out to lunch after 7 or 8 months in the car. Another ham friend has the VHF brother to this radio and he experienced the same exact thing. Turn the radio on and you get hieroglyphics. Obviously poor connections or solder points. You get what you pay for. If they would correct that problem I could recommend this radio to others.I'm sure when you pay for I-Com,Kenwood,Vertex, your not just paying for the name, you get a better degree of craftsmenship.

KA9VZD

W5UX Rating: 4/5 Jun 27, 2002 21:36 Send this review to a friend
Suits my needs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought mine for $209. I use it as a base station to access an IRLP system about 30 miles away. I am using an external radio shack speaker. No microphonics at all. No feedback. It does run rather hot on high power. A 7 inch fan next to it keeps the temperature down.

KE4PJW Rating: 4/5 May 25, 2002 21:36 Send this review to a friend
Good rig, but it has one problem.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like all the features that are packed into this radio. DCS is nice because we have a few repeaters here in town that use it. The main thing that caused me to purchase the radio was the fact it had tone decode.

There is one problem I have with my rig. It is microphonic.
Tap on the side of it while the RX is open, you can hear the tapping out of the speaker. Turn the volume most of the way up, it feeds back on itself.

I have not been able to get any service manual information from ADI's website. When I figure out the fix to the microphonic problem, I will attempt update this review.

All in all, it's not a bad rig for the $150 I plunked down for it.

K5VX Rating: 4/5 Feb 1, 2001 16:53 Send this review to a friend
Good For Ham, Bad Out of Band  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I like this radio, for the most part. It is a solid single-band 70cm radio with an easy-to-read display and a bunch of bells and whistles built-in, without having to pay extra for upgrade modules, like PL-decode. I disagree with the review from the fellow below - it's not of poor quality. But there are a couple of things I'd like to see changed on the next model, including the microphone (it's a bit too large, and its green backlighting clashes with the radio's amber backlight display!), and its out-of-band receive (it is deaf after 455MHz).

If you operate on commercial radio systems on daily basis, don't let the fact that the AR-447 has DCS encode/decode make you think you can use it on your business repeater. Although this radio works and sounds great in the ham bands, its modified operation (clipped wire) in the commercial band gets bad quickly as you pass 450, and is dead past 462, which begs me to ask the question "why have the DCS feature anyway?" since I know of no open amateur repeaters that use DCS instead of CTCSS. This is definitely a radio which operates in its published specs -- no more, no less -- so don't give up your Motorola mobile for commercial operation (unless you are comfortable re-tuning the VCO and receiver and voiding your warranty).

This is a good radio for the 70cm amateur band and I enjoy using it. Look elsewhere if you're looking for a radio with expanded coverage.

WB4DX Rating: 1/5 Dec 8, 2000 22:20 Send this review to a friend
Never again  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Your typical bottom basment entry level radio.
Mine squeeled when I had the audio turned up to hear it! cheap display, mike and quality control.
Soldering, wire layout terrible.
Here, you get what you pay for..Looks like a typical piece of Chinese workmanship.

K6DLX Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2000 11:55 Send this review to a friend
My first choice for a signle band UHF mobile  Time owned: unknown months
I found everything satisfactory, or better with the AR-447. It features CTCSS, and DPL, for both encode and decode. You can also just encode the tone, if you wish. It features extra front panel controls, eliminating the necessity to get into "function" or a "menu" mode. Also, the extra, easy to use front panel controls, eliminated my need to use the manual. It also has built in phone dialing, and about everything else you may need.

The microphone is similar "But not the same" as the Kenwood. ADI's microphone is slightly larger - BUT - uses a quality feeling micro switch for PTT. The Kenwood uses an unacceptable PTT switch.

The radio, is also a bargain, at a price of round $250/275. It easily does everything my commercial Kenwood 805D does, plus has a lot more channels, and is a easier to program. For a new UHF single band radio, this one would my first choice. I think someone at ADI did their homework.

ADI is the Only Radio on the market, that offers DPL encode, with an open (no decode) option for receive. The only "ham" radio on the market to offer this feature. Having seen this radio, I am no longer searching for another Kenwood 805 radio. Remember all encode and decode operations are included. There is nothing else to buy, and try to install yourself.