Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-SL1B Help

Reviews Summary for N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-SL1B
N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-SL1B Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $see website for prices
Description: The ZN-SL1B is a heavier base version of the ZN-SL1, single lever paddle. It has a 3/4" x 3" x 4" base and weighs 3 pounds 4 oz. It has 4 one inch diameter feet. This key is designed for the "heavy hitter."
More info: http://www.n3znkeys.com

You can write your own review of the N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-SL1B.

K4RIG Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2010 20:19 Send this review to a friend
Superb Action & Quality  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is by far the Best single lever paddle I own, and have ever used. I do have an extensive collection of keys and paddles that I actually use, so I have many to compare this to.

The action on the ZN-SL1B is silky smooth, and there is no vertical slop in the paddle action at all. I like close contact spacing, and this paddle will hold the settings without having to constantly re-adjust anything. It's been over 4 months of use now, and no re-adjustment has been needed. Also, the lever always stays perfectly centered when released. (This is something my Begali HST would only do when it wanted to, no matter how it was adjusted.)

The ZN-SL1B is weighty, and stays put on the operating desk when in use. The finish is Beautiful, and it looks impressive as build quality is top notch.

When delivered it comes packed as though it was a bottle of nitroglycerin. Packing is unreal. Nothing to worry about.. Service is Friendly, and Tony N3ZN keeps you informed. What more could you ask for?

This is my third N3ZN key. All have been perfect, and work flawlessly.

If you have a love for CW and want perhaps the Best single lever paddle going today, or just collect Quality Keys, I doubt you will be disappointed with the ZN-SL1B (or the ZN-SLR).

W0AAA Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2008 17:37 Send this review to a friend
S/B a 6!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Trivia Question for QRQ ops...If you were to choose a key that does not move on your desktop when you are in a high speed cw contest, a ragchew, or just practicing to increase your code skills...would you rather have one with a base that weighs 5 lbs. or 3 lbs. 4 ozs.??? WATCH OUT!!! This is a trick question! First of all, let me tell you that I have been a cw enthuasist since 1952 and have tested about every single and double lever that I can get my hands on. I key left and right handed and have managed to reach the 60 wpm level of keying. Practicing Morse code is a daily thing for me. (My XYL says I have OCD...Obsessive Code Disorder) My insurance doesn't cover it so I guess I'll have to live with it! I ordered a ZN-SL 1/2-year ago and couldn't have been happier. I have only posted comments on eHam once for products purchased and it was for that very key. Other than the WBL, I have never owned a key that I would have given a "5.0". The WBL V22 has always been the key I have used to compare against any key I have purchased. Actually, the WBL X-3's that Stan produced earlier have been my favorites and I have 2 of them on my bench and practice with them daily. They are keepers! I checked Tony's website a couple of months ago and saw something new. A ZN-SL1! The thing that got my attention was the single finger piece, very similar to the Kent SP-1. As my code speed has increased...the thing I wanted most was to narrow the width of the finger pieces. I saw that key and ordered one immediately. Tony told me it would be about a 6-week wait and that was fine with me. Two weeks before the due date, I received an email from Tony saying that he had created a ZN-SL1B which is a key for the "heavy hitters". Basically, a heavier base and four, 1-inch diameter rubber feet, instead of the three 7/16" diameter feet that are on the other models. He told me that if I was interested in this key, I could have it for the same price as the ZN-SL1 and it would be the first one made. That took about one nano second to answer and in 2 weeks, I had my key. I like having the "first one" of something, but hearing about the weight of the base, (3 lbs. 4 ozs.) did not impress me at all. I key on a glass surface and if a 5 lb. Bencher Mercury (hint to the trivia question) is going to move around on there, this key would too. Every key I've ever owned has had to be "anchored down" on my bench with a substance called paper tak. It is a sticky, clay-like substance which holds the key in place but leaves a greasy mess on the bench when you are done. I have had to resort to holding the keys I use with my left hand just to stabilize them. Well, let me be the first one to tell you...the ZN-SL1B (at 3 lbs. 4 ozs, another hint) DOES NOT MOVE on my glass surfaced bench! NADA! Those BIG 4 rubber feet lock it down. There needs to be a balance between the weight of the base and what what type of resistance you are adding underneath it to counterbalance that weight. This key has it! I know alot of hams don't key on glass, but even the slightest movement on any surface can interfere with what is being sent. I placed my comments about the construction, characteristics and quality of the ZN-SL key on eHam and they are still the same. Tony has created a number of fantastic keys that anyone would be proud to own. You won't find a better person to deal with. I am honored to own two of his keys and if I were you...I'd get one now before eHam adds a "6.0" to their evaluation numbers and his price goes up. 73, Zed WĜAAA (ex.WAĜAAD)