Reviews Categories | Packet TNCs | Argent Data Tracker2 model T2-135 Help

Reviews Summary for Argent Data Tracker2 model T2-135
Argent Data Tracker2 model T2-135 Reviews: 7 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $75.00
Description: The T2-135 is a Tracker2 APRS board designed to fit the Alinco DR-135T (as well as the -235 and -435) in place of the original EJ-41U TNC. Like the regular Tracker2, it acts as a bidirectional tracker (transmitting positions and plotting received stations as waypoints), digipeater, and limited KISS TNC. However, it lacks the on-board temperature and voltage sensors of the standard board.
More info: http://www.argentdata.com/

You can write your own review of the Argent Data Tracker2 model T2-135.

VK2BEN Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2012 03:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent integrated solution  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the T2-135 installed in my Alinco DR-135MKIII for a while now and it has functioned very well.

When paired with a Garmin Nuvi 350 GPS stuck to my windshield, it tracks my travels as well as showing me nearby APRS objects along the way.

The Nuvi 350 is quite an old model, but it is the only one that updates waypoints (APRS objects) correctly. I have recently installed 2012 maps in it, so there is some life in the product yet.

The T2-135 makes interfacing with the radio sooooo simple and reliable - no messing about with interface cables that can easily go wrong (don't try to tell me that they don't!!).

I like the set-up so much that I am looking for another Alinco radio to put together another system for tracking or Digipeater use.

Ben
VK2BEN-9

N3UJJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2009 13:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought a T2-135, to go in my 6-meter Alinco rig, because of the GREAT history I have had with the OpenTracker Line.

Had a minor problem, Scott Miller was fantastic, and without question swapped out for another one.

Scott's support has been great, on all of his products (I own OpenTracker1's, Opentracker2m's, and now the happy owner of the T2-135

Good Job Scott

Scott Gillis
N3UJJ

WR5RR Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2009 19:55 Send this review to a friend
APRS Tracking and Messaging  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I previously bought the Tracker2 so I knew the quality of Argent products. I researched the Argent T2-135 and found an Alinco DR-135 I could trade for. I bought the T2-135 and cable from Argent, installed it in the Alinco, added the Garmin nuvi 350, and I am tracking and texting. This makes a very nice unit for APRS. The T2-135 installs very easily in the Alinco. Then you set the operating parameters for APRS with the config program from Argent.
The Yahoo users group is very helpful should you hit a snag.

WV1K Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2009 19:39 Send this review to a friend
Working well in the car  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this in my car for APRS with the Alinco DR-135T MKIII radio. You have to flash it in a certain order (start software, click connect, turn on rig), but once you learn that drill it's fine. Scott is always fast on shipping, etc. I'm going to be setting one up as a WIDE1-1 inside next and use it for whatever follows. It can be used for the different functions like weather and digi at once and the internal unit is one less box.

WX4GPS Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2009 09:49 Send this review to a friend
Reliable and good support  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was looking for a reliable tracker, I have used a vehicle tracker for some time since 1996, started with the KPC-3 and a Garmin 45, then in recent years moved to a Tiny Trak 3 and Yaesu FT-1500, it was a great improvement but was only a tracker. I then was introduced to this at Dayton last year, learned it would plot APRS activity on my GPS I owned (select GPS supported), this was a plus, but the main thing that sold me, other then the fact I had to purchase a different radio, was the integration and my ability to reduce the amount of cables. Now the only flaw I found is the Alinco radio if left in my vehicle unattended does drain the battery quickly, so if you leave it on and dont use your vehicle for two days, I had problems. I actually did not have this issue using the FT-1500, the alinco runs warmer in standby. but they have a feature called Ignition on/off that may be something I need to wire up. But the unit doubles as a digipeater, interfaces with some weather stations, it responds to query's on APRS, it does so much. And in general does it well. the tracker runs months without any issues, and I use it with a Garmin LVC 18x that is powered right off the radio. I can plug a computer in and use an APRS software on my laptop and it still beacons as normal, so it almost in a way multi tasks. If you want a tracker that you hook it and leave it, I think you will be happy with this, especially if you want to maybe use it for multiple purposes its config software is easy to make changes or changes modes or settings. Easier to set up then a KPC-3, more functionality than a TinyTrak3, and all integrated into the radio so no cables to built.

G4ZLZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2009 12:57 Send this review to a friend
Reliable, good value!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I operate the Tracker 2 T2-135 in an Alinco TR135 with a Garmin GPS18 external GPS receiver (RS232 output) and a 5/8 wave antenna on 144.800 MHz in the UK. I use a separate radio for voice QSOs.

The unit is very easy to fit in the radio, and has been entirely reliable, providing high-quality tracking data twice daily for the best part of a year on my commute. My previous set-up used a TinyTrack, and I find the T2-135 more reliable and far more convenient - more packets seem to get through! The smart-beaconing feature (which sends out a position fix whenever the vehicle turns a corner or at a rate which increases at higher speed) gives very good traces on the map.

The unit does not support MIC-E format data, but this has not turned out to be a problem in any way.

Using a laptop (or a netbook) it is possible to set up the TNC and to send and receive APRS messages. I have also used the system together with XASTIR for a full position plotting / mapping capability.

In summary, the T2-135 / DR135 is an excellent value, reliable combination, and support from the manufacturer is very good.

KE7KUS Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2008 21:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent internal APRS TNC!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After following the Tracker2 discussion board at Yahoo Groups, I decided to purchase a DR-135TMkIII, Garmin Nuvi 350, and Argent's T2-135. Install of the T2-135 in the Alinco radio was quite easy...remove 4 screws, connect the board, and reinstall 4 screws.

I ordered the Garmin mini-USB cable from Argent, as it is necessary to connect the Alinco radio to the Nuvi GPS. Argent carries two different types of cable depending on your model of GPS. Check to make sure you get the right one. The cable comes packaged with mini-USB on one end and bare wires on the other end. You'll need a male DB-9 connector (available at Radio Shack for $1.99) to solder onto the cable to connect to the radio.

I used a straight-through serial cable connected to my desktop and the Alinco radio to configure the T2-135 before I installed it in my truck (make sure the radio is in data mode to power the TNC.) Configuration is easy and the manual is well written when it comes to software configuration.

Once installed in the truck, I initially had problems with outgoing APRS messages getting stuck in the Outbox of the Nuvi. Messages would continually repeat transmit unless you manually deleted them from the Outbox. Apparently, in packet congested areas, the Garmin interface causes the hangup, due to incoming ACK's for the outgoing message not being received (sometimes due to the outgoing message getting stepped on, and sometimes because the return ACK gets stepped on.) The easy answer for me was to increase power out on the radio, which helped significantly in my message success rate. YMMV. Scott at Argent is very responsive on the Yahoo board for those needing help or having questions on any of Argent's products.

Overall, the T2-135 offers most of the same features as the external version: APRS & KISS TNC, digipeater functionality, remote config via RF, etc. It's a very capable little board with significantly increased functionality over the Alinco EJU-41 TNC. The radio/TNC package with the Nuvi brings a mid-level APRS radio/GPS to the APRS market mix. It's not quite a Kenwood D710/AvMap G5, but I put my whole setup in the truck for about $465, which was less than 1/2 the price of a Kenwood/AvMap setup. If you really want 2m/70cm, crossband, etc. this setup isn't for you. If, on the other hand, you want a feature-rich TNC w/ graphical APRS depiction, vehicle tracking, wx station, digipeating capability, and 2-way messaging, you can't do better for the money than a T2-135.