Reviews Categories | Ham radio kits | DDS-60 Help

Reviews Summary for DDS-60
DDS-60 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $not more than 34USD
Description: A 1-60 MHz coverage VFO with built-in amplifier and variable output level from 0 to 4V p-p.
Features:
Power requirements: 8-12V DC at 130 ma (typical).
- RF Output fully adjustable to +16 dBm, or about 4V p-p into a 50-ohm load.
- Output signal not affected by varying +V supply voltage great for battery operation. |
- Near-constant output level from 1-60 MHz.
- Good signal purity harmonics down approximately 40 dB from the fundamental.
More info: http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html

You can write your own review of the DDS-60.

N4ZAW Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2010 11:43 Send this review to a friend
What a HOOT!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This little card is amazing! I have only hooked it up to the serial port of an old laptop, but by golly, I think I'm done "experementing"... Because the little gizmo pretty-much does what I need it to do. Oh, sure -- I'll probably add an output gain control, integrate a freq counter, and find a way to inject an adjustable audio tone. But for the most part, it serves as a great little sig generator as it is. ROCK-stable output.
I've fiddled with this little board all weekend giggling like a kid playing with a puppy.
It just fascinates me! If oyu're interested, I wouldn't mess-around with trying to build it. For 80 buks assembled n tested, you can now save any frustrations to go toward the myriad applications for it!

WA2MZE Rating: 4/5 Aug 30, 2009 12:18 Send this review to a friend
Good kit  Time owned: more than 12 months
First of all the comment that AMQRP is a bit unethical by recommending that the builder get a free sample from A.D. is a bit unfair. Like most semiconductor makers Analog is happy to send out free samples of their less expensive (this term is relative!) products. In the past I have often taken advantage of their offer to send out a sample of a part. I never hid the fact that I wanted the sample for a ham radio project, in fact instead of putting down a company name, I would fill in my ham call sign, and they would STILL send me a sample! (I guess they have hams working in their customer relations dept.)

Anyway with today's business climate, A.D. no longer will send out any samples without a more formal request and review process, so AMQRP now sells this kit with and without the AD9851 (they are buying the part in bulk and charge a reasonable amount for it).

After letting the package sit around for a while on my work bench, I finally got around to finishing the project.
The kit was easy to build, and I had no problems soldering any of the smt parts to the board. I did need a magnifier and the smallest sized soldering iron tip I could find for my Weller soldering station. I also asked one of the technicians where I work to double check my work, and except for needing to remove excess flux I did ok!

I haven't yet checked out the operation of the unit, I now have to rig up a micro controller to test it.

KB1MTS Rating: 3/5 Feb 7, 2009 11:53 Send this review to a friend
Works well, but AMQRP a bit unethical  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Used this for the TAK-40 40m kit from the ARRL 40m radio home brew radio contest. Works very well. My only complaint is with the AMQRP recommending the "Free" sample of the AD9851BRS DDS chip. As of the begginning of this year Analog Devices is not longer giving away this chip as a sample. I know people have have emailed the AMQRP group about this, gotten a response, but the WWW site still says to request the sample. The chips can be purchased, but they are pricey in single unit quantities. I don't feel it's right for them to sell a kit, but then recommend you lie to another company to get something for free from them. Obviously Analog Devices caught on.

KD7RDZI2 Rating: 4/5 Nov 20, 2008 16:47 Send this review to a friend
useful tool  Time owned: more than 12 months
In the kit all parts are included except for the core part - the AD9851 - which you might ask as a free sample to Analog Devices (this may also explain why this kit is so cheap).

The DDS-60 can be used in many different ways.

I have used the DDS mainly for:
- aligning a Drake 2C;
- making the Drake 2C a general coverage receiver from 3 to 30Mhz;
- making downconverters which I use for adding IF-DSP filtering, DRM convertion, FM demodulation to some portables (RP2100, Sangean 909 and DE1103) and to the Drake 2C.

The DDS-60 controlled through the parallel port of a PC has made an excellent service.

However, I was not successul to use a USB port through a parallel-USB converter. I needed a true parallel port.

The board is very small and I found that the parts are somewhat close each other. It is not very easy to assemble it.

At high frequencies it seems to me that the signal deteriorates in quality.