Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | ADI AR-146 Help

Reviews Summary for ADI AR-146
ADI AR-146 Reviews: 27 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $179.00
Description: 7w/25w/50w 2-meter mobile
More info: http://www.pryme.com/

You can write your own review of the ADI AR-146.

N0JY Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2011 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio in 1996 and it has been dedicated to indoor base station packet use, on high power, 24/7 for almost 15 years now. It beacons my APRS weather every 7 1/2 minutes. The display lamp(s) have ceased working but all else continues to work fine, and it still puts out 50W on high power. Now, I never had the opportunity to find out how it sounds using voice, but I think that the reliable T/R cycle it has been going through for 15 years is a testimony to the quality of the build and the audio must be good for the packets to still be "heard". If I just jinxed it, I'm not sure what I'll look for in a replacement!

N3TU Rating: 4/5 Mar 5, 2010 22:24 Send this review to a friend
It Lasted This Long  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got mine new and I can't believe it lasted this long. The only thing I can think of is that the display is garbled if you don't use it for a while and it just started happening recently. I corrected the problem by putting a square boom box speaker on top of it and plugging it into the back of the radio. I was going to give it a 5/5 except for the display. Would I buy another one, yes. I would buy the 220 mhz version if I can find it.

NI8E Rating: 4/5 May 31, 2009 20:27 Send this review to a friend
Well worth the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought an AR146 used for $50, it needed the so239(?) connector repaired. I also had issues with the display but was able to fix it by finding a display ground was loose. (Wasn't too hard.)
Beyond those two problems, the radio has been great as a second radio.
I can lend it out to friends and not worry about it.
If you find one for sale for a good price, buy it, you won't regret it.

K3BEQ Rating: 3/5 Nov 30, 2008 08:22 Send this review to a friend
Not too bad, not too good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had an ADI AR-146 for many years but until recently, it has not been in use. The audio has too much bass. Also, the unit heats up so that you cannot touch it from the heat sink to the front panel. Small fingers are needed to program it. Just an OK (-) VHF transceiver.

K9WSS Rating: 4/5 Oct 20, 2008 18:53 Send this review to a friend
Works OK With Flaky Display  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio for $50 and that's what it's worth. It puts out 50 watts, sounds so-so on xmit, and I use it to monitor my IRLP node on a daily basis. Of course I have the flaky display issue, but it's easily correctable with a flick of the finger to the front panel. It's pretty much a no-frill's bare-bones rig and I think I got my money's worth. It's been about a year since anyone else reviewed this radio here on eham.net reviews.

KD8ATL Rating: 3/5 Oct 28, 2007 15:04 Send this review to a friend
good basic rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one of these for about two years now, shuttling back and forth between my shack and my car as needed. It doesn't have a heck of a lot of bells and whistles, but it gets the job done.

Some of the controls seem a bit cheap, such as the volume knob, and the squelch is pretty close to the mic jack which gets in the way when making adjustments.

This radio has plenty of memories, but it is kind of a pain programming them in because you have do do it one at a time.

I was satisfied with this radio when I bought it, and it got me on the air on the cheap (about $50 used).

KI6FEQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2007 19:44 Send this review to a friend
No Complaints  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought it used from someone on eham.net and have had this rig in my truck for about a year and have no issues with it at all. I moved it into the house at times for base use and it has performed flawlessly. The lack of an alpha-numeric display is a drag but that is not a "flaw."

N5LZX Rating: 2/5 Sep 2, 2007 11:53 Send this review to a friend
Below Average Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one used, as I needed a dedicated packet rig. Ran it fine for about 3 weeks, then the display issues started up (see other reviews). The display problems did not seem to affect operation, but then another problem started which did - the display heats up with the backlighting which causes TX to go out. Perhaps the high heating causes solder joint flexing? Anyway, the rig is currently unusable due to the TX going out.

KI8CX Rating: 1/5 May 12, 2007 21:38 Send this review to a friend
Have 2 would not buy one again  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought two about 4-5 years ago for mobile apps. Both displays go flaky, need to jingle the mic socket, drove my wife crazy. Recently the one mike is dead, just using the radios for aprs now, they still work. Audio is not as good as my other rigs. They were cheap when I purchased them.

K4VAV Rating: 3/5 Jan 3, 2007 19:23 Send this review to a friend
Comparing radios  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was searching for a 2 meter rig with better than average adjacent channel rejection on ARRL product reviews.This rig has 88 db figure. Haven't found another mobile 2 meter rig with that good a figure for adjacent channel rejection.