Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | ADI AR-146 Help

Reviews Summary for ADI AR-146
ADI AR-146 Reviews: 27 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $179.00
Description: 7w/25w/50w 2-meter mobile
More info: http://www.pryme.com/

You can write your own review of the ADI AR-146.

KD7SVR Rating: 3/5 Sep 27, 2006 12:53 Send this review to a friend
3 Year review  Time owned: more than 12 months
After a little more than 3 years of owning this thing, I thought I should post a little bit of an update.

Still having the intermittant display issues. I turn it on and get Japanese Konji-type charatcers. Just tap on the screen a few times and it goes back to normal.

The bloody backlight on the display went out about 2 years ago. Haven't been able to get it back since. Not too shabby really.

The radio is now dedicated as a shack rig, along with a Vertex commercial. I have started using the 146 for digital comms with my new Tigertronics SignaLink SL-1+, works great!!!

All in all, this is an ok rig, not very good, but not crappy either. You get what you pay for. Remember, buy once, cry once.

KD7SVR

K7VO Rating: 2/5 Feb 28, 2005 14:44 Send this review to a friend
More than a little hard of hearing  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A few years back I had one of these in my car for maybe nine months. I bought it brand new because I though the price was right. It worked but the receiver was more than a little hard of hearing. I picked up an old Yaesu FT-230R and realized just how bad the ADI was. I sold the ADI at a huge loss and was honest about what a turkey it was.

Nowadays I run a rig that I paid a lot more for but I got a quality radio. I think the AR-146 was cheap in every respect.

2W1AED Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2005 14:03 Send this review to a friend
good for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have no complaints, i have used my 146 every day in the works van for over 18 months with no problems, i have always recieved good audio reports, what more can you ask! especially when you consider that you can pic these radios up for around 70 GBP

W7RLL Rating: 4/5 Sep 18, 2004 21:19 Send this review to a friend
Good rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio 4.5 years ago, on e-bay, 1 month before I got my license. The day I found my callsign on the database it was installed in my car.
2 years ago the letters and numbers started to come off the mike buttons. I replaced the mike, due to a broken wire in the cable (no fault of the mike or radio), with the mike for an ADI AR-147. The rig is now my base unit and there has been no other problems.

KC5SPR Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2004 21:43 Send this review to a friend
great working rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one that I bought when I first became a ham that I still use today it has been a good radio. I have owned mine for 8 years now and still going.

MM0BGQ Rating: 3/5 Nov 10, 2003 13:42 Send this review to a friend
Cheap & Cheerful!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned and operated the 146 for about 7 years now. The silly antenna lead became defective after 1 year. I had to resolder it to the board. Then the internal speaker also went defective and I rplaced it. Then the SO239 socket fell off the antenna fitting lead. The display goes stupid once in a while but like other users I tap it and it sorts itself out. Sensitive receiver, good transmitted and received audio. Not robustly made but fine for the money. Be careful if you do the 'wide band' mod as it does NOT restrict transmission.

KD7SVR Rating: 4/5 Sep 9, 2003 03:53 Send this review to a friend
Great radio, only one complaint  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For the amount I paid, this is a great radio. My only real complaint is that there is no DTMF, other than setting a preset. I am unable to use this rig with the local repeaters to use the HF link, autopatch or IRLP.

Otherwise, at 50 watts, with expanded rx and tx, there is little that this rig can't do.

W2MSK Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2003 06:36 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use and Great performance!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this rig both mobile and in the shack for about 4 years and use it almost everyday. Keeps on working great without any reported display problems. Big audio output and full power. Easy to use, good quality and recommended if you can find it used.

N1UKW Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2003 04:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio over the years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I too have had this radio for about 6 years ...and I have had no problems... my screen does loose its mind, but a tap on the glass does fix this. I would get a second one if the 146 was still made, I have to read up on the 147+ to see what has changed

K5JEP Rating: 4/5 Feb 26, 2003 22:10 Send this review to a friend
Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my AR-146 for 5+ years....it has done everything I needed it to and then some! The only problem I have had with it is the display tends to do funky things (shows scrambled characters) but a little tap on the glass it comes right back.. This radio was a dedicated mobile and base unit to include running a simplex autopatch for years! Takes a likin' and keeps on tickin!
Awsome radio for a beginner, easy to use and friendly!