Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Henry 2K Classic Help

Reviews Summary for Henry 2K Classic
Henry 2K Classic Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $2,550
Description: 2K Classic X, pair 3-500G tubes 80-10M w/WARC HD power supply
More info: http://www.henryradio.com/

You can write your own review of the Henry 2K Classic.

K8DE Rating: 4/5 Sep 8, 2016 20:33 Send this review to a friend
Classic Indeed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of these (Classic-X console version) for about 15 years. I think I was the third owner. It is a solid, basic amplifier using a pair of 3-500Z in grounded grid with tuned input, and is capable of 1500w out. I think the plate transformer itself weighed more than most of the complete amplifiers of one particular manufacturer. It had a choke input HV supply that was the final proof (if you still needed convincing) that you had entered Heavy Metal City. It was the kind of amplifier that could make you very glad that you had bought the dolly that was on sale at Harbor Freight that day....

The tuning with stepped cams and a rotor inductor (instead of traditional tuning caps and switched coil output circuitry was a clever piece of work and provided almost continuous coverage from 3.5-30 mhz. The lack of 160 was unfortunate, but probably the result of the elegant tuning scheme's physical limits.

When that system failed, it took some time to sort out the lever- cammed--pinned geartrain stashed behind the front panel when one of the cams (nylon, I believe) fractured from having seen too much heat for too many years, Luckily Henry was still in the tube amp business, and sent me replacements at reasonable cost. It seemed prudent when I had it apart to replace the bunch of them.

It was solidly built, and reliable for most of the time it was with me -- until it wasn't. While it IS, as others have said, "built like a tank," please remember that it also has generated a lot of heat over the years, and with that 4KV idling voltage running around, you're going to get the inevitable (probably noisy/scary) failures. They are all quite aged at this point. I sold mine 5 years ago when I got tired of that process. A contest club that has a bunch of them and needed spares was very happy to get it. Some of the parts are proprietary (now unobtainium), but not too many (mostly the cams). But be aware that the only reasonably priced replacements for some parts are going to be Hamfest items -- just saying -- plan on it.. You may still have some success with getting odd parts from Henry, or from Dan W7RF -- who purchased a lot of NOS parts, and has some remaining. I think Dan still has some of the cams/gears.

Henry had a knack for making running changes so you may find your amp doesn't correspond to the schematic you have in front of you. I think I at one time had 5 different "Classic" schematics, and none matched my RF deck, even though I had the manual which shipped with the amp. [Yeah -- just changed the 5 to a 4].

I would like to add, with gratitude, that the Henry folks were great to deal with, and would generously spend time on the phone with you when you wouldn't figure one of those oddball changes out. They usually had seen everything before, and they saved me a lot of time. Kudos to them. They provided Customer Service of a first rate form in the days before "Customer Service" became a slogan, a jingle and a chilling voice message that "because we are experiencing unusual call volumes...".

Keeping one of these going certainly can be done, even without Henry parts support. Life is too short. Sometimes the nostalgia is the best part of the deal. If you don't have substantial experience with HF Tube amps and big dangerous HV power supplies, step back from the Hamfest table. It's not for amateur Amateurs anymore.

VE2YU Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2011 06:58 Send this review to a friend
Key  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I guys I have a 2k3 and I love it , it is in mint condition and I put out aprox 800-1kw with my pro III . It can do more but why drive it to the limit. I am looking for a Key to open the cabinet as I never got one with it.

KB0GU Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2010 02:08 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Last review I placed of this amp was 2003, it is now 2010 and the amp is still solid and strong with no problems. All the reviews that have come in are true, this is broadcast quality amplifier in build and weight. I will keep mine for the rest of my ham hobbying days.

N8ECH Rating: 4/5 Dec 8, 2009 18:29 Send this review to a friend
A fantastic amp built by a company with much Ham Radio history.  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first Henry console was a basic 2K Classic purchased used in the late 80's. It was very clean, and put out a reliable 1200-1300 watts for 100 watts input without any issues. I regrettably sold it in 1991 when I learned I had a son on the way.

Since the fall of 2007, I have the 2K Classic X model which has the upgraded power supply featuring a single oil filled capacitor and a larger plate transformer. The X (for export) models also have 28mhz operation from the factory
along with a seperate filament xformer.

These consoles are easy to work on due to their "low tech" design along their physical size.

The only negatives IMO are their 175-200 pound weight and possibility of parts issues down the road since Henry made a number of parts "in house", and no longer produce a tube line of ham amplifiers.

I view them as more of a ragchew amp than a contest amp. Once tuned up, you are good to go for the most part, and can QSO as long as you would care to.

It is true that they are somewhat noisy due to the blowers used for cooling, but this has never been an issue in my shack, and I constantly get good audio reports.

If you are looking for a functional low tech amp that will do the job and look good in the shack, you will enjoy a Henry console.
On the other hand, if you want high tech bells and whistles along with portability, you should probably look elsewhere.

W9VNE Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2009 15:53 Send this review to a friend
a real value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine new over 20 years ago. I had a problem with the choke in the power supply.Henry replaced it but it went out again. I have replaced it with a Peter Dahl choke. It does a very good job putting out 1,200 watts with ease. It is a very good looking rig too. Looks like new after more than 20 years. It is a classic in more than name. If treated properly it will last forever. I replaced a couple of its resistors which needed replacing after 20 years. I dropped the filament voltage too so the tubes would last longer. It is a solid piece of gear. Keep it within the legal output and enjoy trouble free operation. It is not a table top amplifer.

KA1CDE Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2009 04:14 Send this review to a friend
Its a Henry Amp !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Henry 2K Calssic X is an export amp in its day.

It uses 2 x 3-500Z for finals. The amp stands about 32 inches high, weighs close to 180 lbs, and every part is heavy duty. When you open a Henry floor model like this one, no other amps come close to a Henry Floor model. Parts are BIG and HEAVY DUTY.....

The amp runs 4000+ unkeyed, and about 3850 volts when in use.

The meters on the amp measure, plate volts, plate amps, grid current.....

The amp can be driven with 150 watts of drive.....

Testing into a dummy load shows the amp will deliver over 2200 watts carrier with about 135 watts drive.....and close to 900 mils on the plate.

PEP measureed on Coaxial Dynamic meters is higher....

The amp cover 10 - 80 meters, it does not cover 160...to bad.....

The blower is loud, no if ands or buts, its loud, but then again its a Henry, no lack of air flow here......

Tuning is pretty straight forward, set the indicators close to the tune up sheet provided, and tune for max out put.......

No strain here when loading up a Henry, easily can deliver the out put.....

If your looking for a heavy duty amp, easily produced 1500 watts out, put, maybe own a 200watt rig, and have plenty of drive, you will love the amp........but as all Henry's its blower is loud, but there are mods to help quiet it down....

OH, don't worry somebody grabbing it and running away, unless they have 2 men and smalll boy to carry it.......

KI7M Rating: 4/5 Sep 2, 2006 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Solid performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned three Henry amps...2K-3, 2KD5 and 2K-classic and have been satisfied with all of them. I got my 2K Classic used (like mint) about 12 years ago. I've replaced the 10amp zener and a 25 watt 25 ohm resistor (as I recall) in the amp. The zener blew when I was testing used 3-500z tubes and got the idea to test one at a time...WRONG! Unlike my 2K3, the filiments are in series! My fault.
I've owned MLA-2500, DTR-2000L (big can of worms) and now have a Command Technology HF-2500. The Henry is probably the easiest to use. It puts out about 1200 watts or so. The tubes are resonable. And tune up is straight forward (unlike the HF-2500 which leaves me wondering if I'm doing this right!). Yes, the HF-2500 will put out more power but is ALOT more noisey, requires less drive (40-50 watts compared to 80-100), and trying to go by the ALC on my FT-1000MP is useless...never comes up.
The henry 2K-Classic is solid, reliable, tubes cheap, and built like a tank as people say. And dealing with Ted Henry is great.

SANBORN_EX_AD9DX Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2005 19:46 Send this review to a friend
A FORMIDABLE WORKHORSE  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased from Art Bell, this is the most amplifier I've owned, and compared to my SB-220, Swan Mark II, and Drake L7, the 2K Classic X is literally head and shoulders above the rest.

Easily produces 1500w pep OUTPUT with much less than the 110w of which my ICOM IC-761 is capable.

The blower (to call it a fan is akin to calling a hurricane "Bad weather") lets you know it's moving a lot of air and keeping even the sockets of the 3-500ZG tubes nice and cool, no solder melting from insufficiently cooled tube sockets here.

I sure like the all aluminum cabinet.

Kinda' makes a humble little Ham like me feel like I own a small piece of a broadcast station, and I'm sure this is as close as I'll ever get to one.

It's also nice having a linear 4KV voltage supply, makes me want to build one for each of my voltage doubler amps, ...unless I sell them.

Built like a Sherman Tank, it's not just an amp, it's an adventure.

...it's a Henry!

W8ER Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2004 22:57 Send this review to a friend
Nice Amplifier!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I ran a Henry 2K4 for a couple of years and made the mistake of selling it. In it's place I put an Alpha 89. There's nothing bad to say about the 89 except that it wasn't a Henry. Both are excellent amplifiers but it was always a comparison to the Henry. Finally I broke down, sold the Alpha and found a nice 2K Classic and I am in heaven. Sure it make noise .. but it makes watts too! It has that big solid feel with no PIN diodes to worry about and the finals .. well I have a couple sitting on the shelf just in case. In the meantime, I'll just sit back, watch them puppies glow a nice dull red.

Oh the extra money? Try the Angus Burger at Burger King. I'll bet I get tired of them before I run out of leftover cash!

--Larry W8ER

KB0GU Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2003 22:42 Send this review to a friend
HEAVY DUTY  Time owned: more than 12 months
One HEAVY duty amplifier. Pro's will run all day at legal limit. Reliable and stable operations. Big meters easy to read. Has CW and SSB setting for low and high power. Parts readily available if needed. Con's no 160 meters. No step start. Back breaker to move. Fan noise. I have replaced fixed plate caps twice due to arc overs from intermittent antenna condition - antenna caught on fire, burned up YS-60 meter, and melted RG8 coax! a call to Henry and in the mail arrived parts to repair amplifier. Runs as good as new again. Tunes differently than most amplifiers with the fixed plate capacitances and variable inductor and load capacitor. Replacement tubes should be graphite anodes. This thing is built like a tank.
Nothing in this amplifier is light weight. It will heat the shack in the winter time. I am second owner, this amp was manufactured in 1991 and still looks new.