Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Henry 2K Classic Help

Reviews Summary for Henry 2K Classic
Henry 2K Classic Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $2,550
Description: 2K Classic X, pair 3-500G tubes 80-10M w/WARC HD power supply
More info: http://www.henryradio.com/

You can write your own review of the Henry 2K Classic.

W5GM Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2003 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Big manly amp  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had this amp for about 4 months now and I am impressed! If you get one I would definately upgrade the tubes if it doesn't already have 3-500zg's in it. You can keep the key down much longer with the graphite tubes. The only gripe I have is that mine is noisy. The blower makes a significant amount of racket. I may pull the blower outboard and run a flexable hose to an airbox later on. I have heard there is a guy that can mod these amps to run a pair of 8877's as well..

W4RDX Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2002 12:46 Send this review to a friend
Great amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my Henry 2K Classic for 12 years and it has always worked to perfection. It is very forgiving of mistakes. I have been able to tune both 12 and 17 meters even though there is no position for these bands on the band switch. It is a great amp for a first time user or a casual dxer like myself. The 3-500 tubes are easy to obtain if you need them and it runs fairly quietly. Best of all it is built like a tank with plenty of "cooling space" due to its size.

N5RNL Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2001 03:28 Send this review to a friend
Superb Amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've often heard people use the term "built like a tank" and now I know what they mean! This amplifier is top quality and heavy duty from top to bottom.

The power supply is massive. All components are high quality. The hardware and construction are equally impressive. Capacitors and inductor are chain driven.

I hooked this amplifier up and it worked to perfection. This is a very impressive piece of equipment and I am proud to own and operate it.

K7RAT Rating: 4/5 Sep 9, 1999 18:14 Send this review to a friend
Great amp - but no 160 meters.  Time owned: unknown months
I recently acquired one of these from the estate sale of a silent key. The amp has now been used in two contests - including most of the work in the IARU Radiosport on CW on a warm summer day.

The amp is slightly different than the 2K3 - in that the plate tuning capacitors are fixed in value and the plate tuning is done with a roller inductor. The amp has CW/SSB positions and can put out 1500 watts in the SSB position. I have had no problems running in this position during a CW contest.

I love having a pair of 3-500Zs. All of my other amps use a pair of these tubes. They are instant on - and stand up to abuse very well. They also don't cost you an arm and a leg to replace.

About the only negatives against the amp would be the lack of 160 meters. Also, the bandswitch is a little hard to turn and the stock knob isn't quite up to the task. I put a bigger knob on and it is much easier to turn.