Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | MFJ-918 1:1 current balun Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-918 1:1 current balun
MFJ-918 1:1 current balun Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $28
Description: 1:1 current balun and stray RF filter combined
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ-918 1:1 current balun.

KJ7USA Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2012 21:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use this to center feed my 40/80 meter inverted v dipole on top of a 50' mast. Does the job at a good price. I have no issues with RF in the shack or SWR. Handles the 1kW my amplifier puts out with no issues. The eye bolts are strong and support the wire element tension securely. It's been up for about a year now with no complaints.

VA3VID Rating: 0/5 Aug 15, 2011 04:58 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the balun about a year ago but just start the project last week. First trip on the 259b and there was problems.
So I removed the balun, problem gone. So I tested with a multi meter and it showed a direct short. I took it apart and when it was assembled they had twisted the 2 copper wires around each other before they exit the housing. Another check and now an open short, so off came the bottom portion of the balun. The braided portion of the cable was not soldered onto the so239. It look like there was solder there but not connected. Soldered back up, reassembled and now its good to go.

KJ4I Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2011 12:11 Send this review to a friend
Good balun for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this balun in service for about a year now. We have had some really heavy rains during that time and I have not had any issues with water in the balun. Antenna's tune and work fine. I will be purchasing more of these to have a few extra's on hand.

W3DKV Rating: 4/5 Jun 18, 2011 09:00 Send this review to a friend
Good for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought 2 of these, one of which I tested on my portable 17-meter inverted vee. The thing tuned to a perfect 1:1 SWR, so I am very pleased about that. Also, the balun is built like a tank (and as a result is quite heavy).

I have one gripe about my unit, which is the reason I gave it a 4 instead of a 5. When it arrived, all three of the lug bolts were somewhat loose, so I had to tighten each one of them. Yet another example of far too many products today that have to be fixed by the purchaser before they are even put into service.

Overall I'd have to say, though, that it's hard to beat for the price.

N9MXY Rating: 4/5 Oct 8, 2009 17:45 Send this review to a friend
Does the Job  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just installed yesterday, it did stabilize my 80M inverted V and takes 1KW with no problems. I am a little concerned about liquid intrusion and there is no drainage hole so I tried to drill a small hole in the bottom for drainage but hit a metal plate after the PVC and chickened out. I put some Pvc sealer on the mount post and base of the stress posts and after a solid day of rain today the SWR stayed put.

PA0RBA Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2008 07:31 Send this review to a friend
Good performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Because of limited space my 80 and 160 meter dipole is folded away on the attic. De MFJ-918 current balun does a great job eliminating stray RF on the coax feedline. No more RFI in the house...! Inexpensive and easy to install.