Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Radio Shack PRO-197 39,000-Channel Digital Desktop Scanner Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack PRO-197 39,000-Channel Digital Desktop Scanner
Radio Shack PRO-197 39,000-Channel Digital Desktop Scanner Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $499.99
Description: Always be in the know with this digital desktop scanner. The PRO-197 stores up to 1,800 frequencies in main memory and features 21 virtual scanner (V-Scanner) folders. It lets you search for nearby frequency transmissions and automatically jump to a found transmission. Plus, it lets you hear storm reports and more before they are broadcast on TV or radio.
More info: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3348288

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack PRO-197 39,000-Channel Digital Desktop Scanner.

MRJONES737ALEXLA Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2014 23:18 Send this review to a friend
Best Scanners Ever Made  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive Owned This Scanner Since Jan. 2011. Once You Read The Manual Through Start To Finish You Can Program And Operate The Pro 197. Ive Had The Pro 2004,The Pro 2006,The Pro 2032 They Were Good Scanners But The Pro 197 Tops Them All Especialy The Clairaty And Sound This Unit. It has Everything You Need In a A Digital Trunking Scanner.The Pro 197 Is Much More Easyer To Program Over The Latest Uniden Bearcat Digital Scanner And The Receive Is Much More Stronger And Sensitive Over The Latest Uniden Digital Scanner.I Give The Pro 197 5 Stars For Its Peformance,Durability And An Empressing Look And All The Features This Unit Has To Offer.Mr.Indiana Jones 737 Alexandria,New Orleans La.

W2DWL Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2013 09:40 Send this review to a friend
A Great Scanner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is awesome scanner, a little of a learning curve, but after that it out performs all the others I have. The stock antenna, should be replace with a better aftermarket one, which there are plenty on Scan Masters.com
This scanner come with many bells & whistles but the real performance is in the scanning of the trunking (P25).

SIERRAHOTEL Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2011 05:01 Send this review to a friend
Great scanner, and a good value on sale!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This scanner has, hands down, the best analog audio I have ever heard from any scanner I have ever owned, and that number is well over 50. It's loud and very clear, even on the built in speaker. On the right external, or fed into a car stereo, it's fantastic. Digital isn't as good, of course, but it's the best sounding out there right now, especially with a DSP/firmware update. I recently replaced the BNC connector on one of the original units, and the improvement after the update was done is huge, so if you haven't ever done it, I would highly recommend doing it. When this radio is on sale, it's a true bargain.

Positives:
More logical operation than the Uniden radios, once you figure out the object oriented thing.
Great audio.
The units seem to be holding up well in vehicle use.

Negatives:
Some oddball firmware bugs, hopefully in the past.
Small display.
It would be nice if the amber backlighting could be switched to green, if desired.
Same old junk "forked" BNC connector GRE and Uniden insist on using will break or lose tension over time and heavy use. A "ringed" BNC would last almost forever. It would be nice, even if GRE wouldn't use a better connector, they made it easy to change to one by using an easily found size of BNC in the first place. On the mobiles, like the 197, it's not hard to find one that works, but on the handhelds, you almost have to use the factory replacement part or it won't fit inside the case!

KB4OIF Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2010 03:52 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding digital Scanner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok. I have only had the 197 for 7 days. I am really impressed with it. This is my first digital scanner. The clarity of the speaker is good. I have it attached to a small discone about 15 feet up. Picks up stuff a long way off. The amount of space for channels/objects is enormous. If this is your first digital scanner, I recommend you use software to program it. Daunting task for someone that is new to the hobby or like me still trying to learn trunking. My buddy helped me as he has the same scanner and lives 15 miles away. With all the research I did on all the digitals I was looking at, it came down to what was available locally and price on Black Friday. I would definitelly recommend this one. Hands down...

N2MWE Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2010 09:17 Send this review to a friend
Good P25 Scanner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not bad for conventional, either! Took it cross country from New York to Idaho. The scanner's V folders are fantastic for storing multiple states. Leaving Ohio and hitting Michigan? No prob...FUNC, PGM, selected and load. Decodes P25 just fine...used it on MARCS, STARCOM, Idaho 700 MHz, Wyolink, South Dakota. RS has them for four hundred bucks...go to coupon cabin and get a coupon for RS and get one!

KC7YRA Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2010 10:16 Send this review to a friend
NICE!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is one nifty number!!!!

I have been scanning public safety communications for 20 years. Ever since I was a small child and got my hands on my dad's old crystal controlled rig, I have loved it since.

But times had DRAMATICALLY changed and I needed a scanner capable of following digitally trunked traffic on several bands.

I ended up with the Pro-197 (which is made by GRE under the model PSR-600) as the reviews are great and they were available locally.

Once home, I had it programmed via the face panel, and receiving digital traffic in 15 minutes. The programming is extremely easy to understand and input IF (big IF) you understand how everything works and the "new" terminology associated with digital trunking.

I am lucky in that I have a workable understanding of APCO 25 trunked systems and understand "HOW" the systems work. Because of this, I was able to easily get the radio working. Others who I know have bought these radios are struggling after several weeks. They can't wrap their heads around how the systems change frequencies and towers, all within a talk group. They are used to analog traffic and single "channel" programming. And to explain that channel is the wrong word to use and "talk group" is the correct, it usually draws blank stares. Followed by the, "Ya, but how do I program in the sheriff repeater channel?"

This scanner is an extremely advanced piece of consumer electronics and will do an excellent job. But please understand that there will be a learning curve if you have never dealt with such systems.

On mine, I have not had it overload on VHF yet. If it does, there is an attenuator button right on the face panel. It seems to follow traffic very well and it's multi-site capability of finding the best sounding data (and therefore the best tower) is great when on the highway.

It has interesting alarm features for pager and dispatch frequencies. And it can be programmed in hundreds of different configurations based on whatever region you are in.

I certainly recommend this rig.

KI4HNN Rating: 3/5 Sep 7, 2009 06:57 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This was one of my first radios for digital scanning and I have to say that I am really impressed with it. The radio works great and is very easy to use once you understand how to program it. I would highly recommend programming it with software and a PC. The only thing I don't like about the radio is that it overloads all the time epically on VHF if using a outside antenna. I even used the stock antenna and it still overloads then. Other than that the radio is excellent to use and fits my scanning needs very nicely. Really like the idea of object oriented programming. If you do a lot of listening to VHF steer clear of this model but if you listen to 800mhz and would like to trunk with it excellent radio to so with. If the radio didn't overload all the time I would give it a 5. Overall nice radio however.

KB9UER Rating: 4/5 Dec 26, 2008 16:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Digital Scanner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered the RS 20-197 Digital base and received on Xmas eve...This scanner is excellent on audio, digital decoding of the ILL-Starcom 700/800Digital Statewide System...The OOProgramming is very easy when you read carefully the manual...And yes on this RS scanner a paper manual is included...Attaching the RS197 to a outside antenna here at my location does not overload the VHF as reported and hears many of the Starcom towers about 25 miles from my location almost flawless...The bright orange-yellow backround compensates for the somewhat small readout...The "Favorites"and "Skywarn" ScanLists are really neat for quick scanning...As mentioned it uses ScanLists instead of banks, all "Objects" are assigned to these lists....Any type of trunking and conventional can be put in a ScanList...I gave it a (4) but its closer to a (5) rating....

KQ4KK Rating: 4/5 Dec 13, 2008 09:39 Send this review to a friend
Got to use Software  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my third "digital" scanner. Each one, over the past few years has been an improvement. This is about as good as they get. Impossible to program by hand. Bought WIN500 software and download from the RR website direct. Makes it easy to program and update.

Screen is a little small compared to UNIDEN desktops.

It was on sale for $399, then added the RS Friends and Family discount, got it for $275 and free shipping. Otherwise, my Pro96 would have still been my "top" scanner.