Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Spi-Ro D-52 Help

Reviews Summary for Spi-Ro D-52
Spi-Ro D-52 Reviews: 1 Average rating: 2.0/5 MSRP: $124.95 (with PB-1-C balun)
Description: o Work multiple bands with only one feedline!

o Automatic Band Switching

o Factory assembled, ready to use

o Lightweight, sealed, weatherproof antenna traps

o Handles 600 watts

o Coax fed with 50 or 75 ohm cable

o For all transmitters, receivers & transceivers

o Excellent for all class of amateurs

o Constructed with extra strong 14 gauge stranded antenna wire

o Includes Deluxe Center Connector or "Pro-Balun" option; All accept standard PL-259 coax connector

o Use as Inverted"V", Flat-top, Sloping, etc.

o Low loss end insulators

o Instructions included
More info: http://www.spiromfg.com/multi-band_dipoles.htm

You can write your own review of the Spi-Ro D-52.

N5UWY Rating: 2/5 Dec 2, 2008 16:05 Send this review to a friend
  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had a Spi-Ro D-56 for 15 years. 5 bands, 6 traps. It served three field seasons in V3 and has been up in the air in 2 states now. Works as advertised. I had to replace the copper 3-4 years ago, but it was already 10 years old by then, so no worries. I also have a much newer D-314 for 30-17-12 and have had no issues.

Recently, one (or both?) of the 10-m traps went on the D-56. SWR went over 8:1 on 10, but stayed reasonable on the others.

I started looking at replacements and noticed that the Spi-Ro D-52 covered 80-10 with 2 traps and about 23 feet more copper. Excellent, thought I.

Spi-Ro wasn't accepting orders for the longest time and wasn't answering email (still isn't). Recently (November 2008), they added a link to an eBay store as their "preferred" dealer.

I contacted the store and they had a D-52 with the PB-1-C current balun. Whee!

It arrived over the holiday weekend, but the weather was too cold and there were honey-dos to be done.

It got up to 60 today, so I came home from work a little early and, with the help of my spouse, pulled down the D-56 and put up the D-52.

I have a borrowed MFJ-259B and hooked it up to see how it looked.

In a word, crappy.

At least on 10-15-20.

On 40, it dips to 1.6 at 7240 or so and on 80, it dips to 1.2 at 3840 or so. There are dips near the other bands but not *in* the other bands. See http://underwateryagi.blogspot.com/2008/12/no-happy.html for the details.

An instruction sheet did accompany the antenna. The sheet covers the D-52, D-42, and D-32. However, it only mentions adjustments for 80 and 40 for the D-52 (20/40 for the D-42 and 20/15 for the D-32).

I think what has happened here is that this antenna is being sold, perhaps mistakenly, as a 5-band trap dipole when it's really only a 2-band.

I have little choice but to leave it up for a while, which limits me to the low bands (yeah, yeah, there aren't any spots - believe me, I know). I will see what I can do with it on 40 and 80, but I don't see any way around having to do something different to get 20-15-10 back.

No happy.