Reviews Categories | Microphones | Audio Technica AT2020 Help

Reviews Summary for Audio Technica AT2020
Audio Technica AT2020 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $99
Description: Audio Technica’s stringent quality and consistency standards set the AT2020 apart from other mics in its class. Its low-mass diaphragm is custom-engineered for extended frequency response and superior transient response. With rugged construction for durable performance, the microphone offers a wide dynamic range and handles high SPLs with ease. It is the standard for affordable side-address studio condensers.
* The price/performance standard in side-address studio condenser microphone technology
* Ideal for project/home-studio applications and ESSB audio
* High SPL handling and wide dynamic range provide unmatched versatility
* Custom-engineered low-mass diaphragm provides extended frequency response and superior transient response
* Cardioid polar pattern reduces pickup of sounds from the sides and rear, improving isolation of desired sound source
* Pivoting, threaded stand mount attaches securely for easy and precise placement of the microphone

With a remarkably low price, cardioid pattern, and specs that put it in the big leagues, it features a custom-engineered, 16mm low-mass diaphragm and smooth 20Hz-20kHz frequency response. The AT2020's low self-noise is suited to digital recording, plus it has a high 144dB SPL handling...
More info: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/a0933a662b5ed0e2/index.html

You can write your own review of the Audio Technica AT2020.

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2013 13:38 Send this review to a friend
Excellence in its purest form  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I must start off by saying that this was my first experience with these types of microphones, and what all goes into making them work. So, I've had this mic for 4 or 5 months now, its been on the air 3-3 and a half months. Little did I realize when I first started this journey that it would be as involved as it was, had I had ANY inkling of half of what was to come, I probably would have sold the mic and the boom long before.

So, I get this great deal on an AT2020, comes with a boom and a 12" riser for the boom support and rotation. Great, figured I could just get a new XLR cable plug it in and go...NOT gonna happen. Here we go, got the cable, but then I read you have to have a 48 volt phantom power supply..WTF??? What the..what the hell is a phantom power supply? Never heard of such a thing, I wonder, is it because its a phantom is why I've never heard of it before..who knew. OK, time to start shopping, figure a condenser mic, we have a music store in town...THEY should have such a thing as a "PHANTOM" power supply..ha..ha..giggle..giggle, phantom power supply..yea right. So, off to the music shop I go, get there start talking to the manager, told him with as straight a face as I could, that I needed something called a "PHANTOM" power supply. Yes sir, right over here, he says as he grabs one. I'll be damned..here I thought, well never mind. Its a power supply I told him..yep, supplies 48 volts for some mics to work. Then I told him all about this great deal and the Audio-Technica AT2020, its a good general purpose mic the manager of the music shop states. So...I actually do need this 48 volt power supply I asked..sure do he says, how much I ask, figuring yea..$20-$30, I'll grab one and I'll be one step closer to getting this mic on the air. These..are $60! Excuse me, did you just say$60, for a piece of plastic and a wall wort? Yea...OK, let me think about it.

Well, from that trip to my local music shop I learned 2 things, that there is actually something called a phantom power supply, and that crap from China is really, really expensive here in Vero Beach, Fl. OK, on to Amazon, Amazon dot com is great, you can get pretty much anything from Amazon. So, I look up, single channel 48 volt phantom power supplies. WHAT...YOU HAVE GOT TO BE JOKING! $53.00! NEVER MIND. On to Google, google is great, you can find darn near anything in the world on Google, so long as you word it right. So....I type in Single Channel 48 volt Phantom Power Supply. Next thing ya know there are about 250,000 different entries on phantom power supplies. The first ten or so showed where to buy them. I picked one, and started scrolling through it pages, until I found the search bar at the top of the page. Typed in phantom power supply, the page shifted from trumpets and trombones, to photos of all these different phantom power supplies. It was on the third or fourth page that I found one.
This little out of the way music shop in some town near Chicago, showed a photo of a single channel 48 volt phantom power supply for....$20..I'm sorry, $19.99, free shipping! SOLD..to the new guy in Vero Beach. Couple days later had the power supply, a friend was nice enough to make up a PTT button, I had nothing, and when it comes to soldering stuff like a PTT connection, when I'm done, you can't tell the switch from the solder, my hands shake terribly and any small, tiny stuff to be soldered doesn't always turn out well.

So, I have it all the mic, the boom riser was screwed into my parents old stereo that is now my operating position, the riser is in the boom set down onto the riser, the spider mount is attached to the boom, the mic is now attached to the XLR cable which is screwed into the phantom power supply, and the power supply is plugged in and on, time to plug in the mic to the radio, or in this case my MFJ-1260 microphone control center, lets see if it all works. Turn the rig on, get on frequency, key up the PTT button and....What do ya know...it works!

Wow, does it ever work, and works superbly, I get constant unsolicited great audio, sounds good what are you using type of comments. Only once did I say anything about the mic. that was on my morning net; The Treasure Coasters Net* on 7.153MHz. I told those on the net, hey guys, I'm trying out a new mic let me know what ya think. Not one bad report, everyone said I sounded better than I had in some time. Stronger, more natural, I was being heard in some places that before I was at or below their noise level. So, I say this, the Audio-Technica AT2020, is without a doubt excellence in its purest form! This from someone who has used Heil microphones for most of the last ten years.

Will I get another one? You betcha, I have been bitten by the microphone bug, there are other condenser microphones out there besides Audio-Technica, and there are several I have my eye on, and, at some point in time, i will try them. I have found mics other than Heil, Bob makes a great microphone no doubt, but there are other types of microphones and I for one want to try others. The Audio Technica has a wide dynamic range to it, construction seems to be rugged yet durable. The price on these, even on the open market isn't all that bad so it is ideal for someone who may have a home studio, or, like myself, makes a great addition to the ham shack. I still have and use, my Heil Pro-Set Plus, its great for when band conditions are lousy and you can't hear well. What I've been doing lately though, swing the mic up and out of the way, still using the headphones, I'll use the AT2020 to talk. Except when its my turn as net control for the net, then I switch to the Pro-Set Plus, makes things easier when writing names/call signs and other information. Thank you all so much for taking the time and reading my..review, I did go rather overboard and didn't mean to, just got carried away. I'm a firm believer in, if you like something tell people about it...that is what I am doing telling all y'all about this wonderful microphone from Audio-Technica. I pray everyone had a very Merry Christmas,and pray yet again that all y'all, have a healthy, happy, safe New Year. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all the readers, thank you again.

PS: Earlier in my review I put a star on;
The Treasure Coasters Net, we meet daily from 0800-0900 Eastern Standard/Eastern Daylight Time. Any one who is an advance class or Extra class, or their country allows voice transmission at this frequency, please do join us, just give us a try a few minutes of your time in the morning. We have a different net control station every day Sunday through Monday, I do Wednesday, we have a lot of very knowledgeable folks on the net. We do try and get local weather conditions, but with 20+ check ins each day sometimes e don't get everyone's weather condition. I have seen our net grow from 8 ten on a good day, that was a big net ten years ago. We now generally average 22-25 check ins every day. We may get 1 or 2 days a month when we get less than 20, but not many. My personal high was 32 check ins, that..is a big net, and NOW...I will say so long, have a great day.

W1LDD Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2013 14:44 Send this review to a friend
Perfect !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great small condenser type microphone. Very directional so I did not need a noise gate. Made very well! I'am using The AT2020 with the TS-870SAT, Behringer 802 and getting great audio reports. 73'S

KC7OV Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2009 14:10 Send this review to a friend
Superb!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Replaced an MXL 990 with this mic.Much warmer sound and definitly alot less noise.As in the previous statement,why pay more for Heil`s overpriced stuff!

K6AER Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2009 19:45 Send this review to a friend
Great bang for the buck.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have my station set up for studio microphones using a XLR jacks that need phantom 48 VDC power. As a result, I get to try all kinds of microphones and am constantly looking for bargains. I came across the Audio Technica AT-2020 at the Guitar Center here in Denver and this microphone sounded pretty good. Price was about $90.

Microphone range is from 30 Hz to well over 10K with my voice. Good cardioid pattern and no pops close talking and is not sensitive to close proximity breath noise. On the air results sound as good as my other microphones coasting much more than $300. The microphone is medium in size and light weight. The size is important to me for I use a boom and prefer smaller microphones I can see around while adjusting the radio.

I think this on is a keeper.

KI6QYJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2009 14:12 Send this review to a friend
Every bit the mic of any Heil  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
For $80 street you can have this mic, the best mix of an Electro-Voice RE-20 and a quality condenser mic I've found for voice work. Put a pop filter in front of it, give it a preamp with phantom power and a little tone shaping in case it doesn't match your voice's timbre or your rig's audio response, and you'll be getting audio reports that'll equal a $300 Heil. Why spend money on a name? I run eSSB with mine, 50 hz to 3950 hz, and get top audio quality reports from eSSB "experts". Of course I run my mic through a preamp, a noise gate/compressor/limiter and a multi-band parametric EQ (none of which are W2IHY -- I get as much audio quality for half the price), and you will probably want to do that even if you use a stock mic if you want to get the most DX punch or the smoothest plate-modulated AM sound on sideband. As far as capturing everything you want a mic to capture, handling plosives from less than an inch away without fliching (or getting damaged), and being totally affordable, it doesn't get much better than this.