Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Tokyo Hy-Power Model HL-45B Help

Reviews Summary for Tokyo Hy-Power Model HL-45B
Tokyo Hy-Power Model HL-45B Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $379
Description: Solid State HF/50Mhz 45 Watts Linear Amplifier

You can write your own review of the Tokyo Hy-Power Model HL-45B.

AB1QX Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2014 07:34 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
This amp along with my FT-817 forms the backbone of my field kit. I power it with two 6600mA 12.8V LiFePO4 batteries in parallel. Works like a charm, although I have to remind myself to put it in bypass before activating my Z817H tuner so as not to lose the PA xstrs. Otherwise the operation is flawless and intuitive. Like another reviewer stated, like an '817--just 2 S-units stronger!

N8MFN Rating: 4/5 Mar 1, 2014 04:05 Send this review to a friend
voltage rating  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this amp for a few years now and always had it on a pwr supply I just got some batteries and havent used it below 12v I dont know how low the voltage iI can run and still have a fair amount of output will let you know

W6GDK Rating: 2/5 Jun 20, 2013 10:27 Send this review to a friend
DO NOT USE WITH KX3  Time owned: more than 12 months
I originally bought this for use with the FT-817, but after selling the FT-817 and buying a KX3, I thought it might be a nice little power addition for marginal conditions. Unfortunately, the KX3 can easily exceed 5 watts output even though the RF Power setting is set to 5 or less watts. Seems to be a bit of overshoot. Exceeding the 5 watt max of a nanosecond will blow the two MOSFET power transistors. Since it is all surface mount parts, replacing the FETS is tricky.

I then applied a 3 dB attenuator to the input of the amp to insure no overshoot above 5 watts, but still got enough above 5 to blow the FETS again.

I have now relocated the HL-45B to a large gray container in the garage that gets emptied weekly and am looking forward to the KXPA100 which is now on order.

KK5JY Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2012 22:09 Send this review to a friend
Work of Art  Time owned: more than 12 months
This little amplifier went with me on several business trips. I stuffed the amplifier, an FT-817, a tuner and a power supply into a Storm case that could fit overhead on a commercial flight. Some of the most fun I have had contesting was done from some awful locations, using this portable setup with small wire dipoles. Working DX from a hotel room was amazingly fun.

The amplifier integrates well with the FT-817, and it never complains. When run from a 13.8VDC power supply, my amplifier will easily output anywhere from 50 to 65W with 2.5W drive or less. Even at those levels, it doesnít splatter or clamp the ALC. Not bad for a 45W amplifier!

The automatic band switching is flawless and very handy. I wish the HL-450B offered the same feature. This unit also covers two more bands than the 450B (160m and 6m).

The heat sink is huge for the power level. It gets moderately warm during long data mode transmissions, but never enough that I thought it needed a fan.

Like every other THP amplifier, it is internally a well-executed design. The layout and assembly are both very clean.

My only complaint is that I had to make a special splitter/adapter for it, so that I could connect the CAT port to both the computer and the amplifier. This basically means sending the FT-817ís data-related lines to the computer, and the ALC, PTT, band data and GND to the amplifier. THP really should offer such a cable as a standard accessory, because itís a must-have for digital modes. I built my splitter with three 8-pin mini-DIN panel jacks and a small Radio Shack plastic enclosure. Oh, and lots of RTV/Silicone to hold it all together. But it worked out great.

K7RVX Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2012 10:48 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely Perfect!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My aging TS-140 is gettling pretty feeble so I bought one of these little amps so I could keep checking into my favorite 75 meter traffic net(The Farm Net on 3937 kHz) without having to buy another 100-watt HF rig. Although my barefoot, 5-watt FT-817 does work for 75 meter phone, it doesn't quite cut the mustard when the noise level is S9+ like it has been lately.

UPS delivered the HL-45B yesterday afternoon after a week-long trip to Utah from HRO's Virginia store. It arrived in perfect shape and worked with absolute perfection right out of the box! Last night was the acid test: I used the FT-817 to drive the little amp on 75 meters. The NCS heard me without difficulty, and I was able to handle a couple of relays from folks who were down in the mud. I noticed that the RF output from the amp was noticeably better than I had been getting out of the tired old TS-140s. The auto bandswitching is absolutely superb. After the net I worked a Greek station on 17 meter CW. Wow!

I am sure I will have more to say about this little amp in a few months, but my initial impression is overwhelmingly positive. Can't wait to try it out on field day!

The packaging and enclosure are very high quality. Same for the accessory cabling and other stuff. The manual had a little Jinglish in it, but, what the heck, I could understand it pefectly. Kudos to HRO for the great double-boxed packaging.

SM2FYZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2012 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Ft-817ND and 2 more S-units  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the HL-45B via HRO by advice from THP Japan!

Very nice amp when you need some little extra
when Qrp and need to get louder on SSB when conds not agree!

With a Heil HM4 and HL-4B you feel like a Big Gun when needed!

Remember you need 9 Amps extra!

Very nice built, works all bands HF and very good shape
On CW sigs also which i mostly work.

/ Ulf. ( SM2FYZ / 8S2Z / 7S4Z )

W7IMC Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2012 18:12 Send this review to a friend
HF Pack Portable!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought one of these off eBay for roughly 2/3 of a new one for use with a FT-817ND while back pack portable for SOTA. 5w in and 45w out ensures you can get the 4 contacts (ssb) required to activate a peak. Works as advertised. When running off SLAB make sure you have a full charge. I accidently left the DC power cord on a snow coverd hill a few months ago and had to order a replacement direct from Japan. Outstanding customer service and fast delivery. I would not hesitate to buy another fine THP product. 73's Scott W7IMC

KC9TNH Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2011 11:15 Send this review to a friend
Xlnt 817 companion at home  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First one out of the box went thru fits suddenly not wanting to key; I was able to dupe this with second one provided and it appears that this amp DOES NOT like it when you put a clip-on choke on the DC supply cord, AS RECOMMENDED in the manual. Removed choked & disconn completely from everything, reconnected & it was back to normal. Big kudos to Steve at HRO-Woodbridge for peerless service in working thru this.

Currently running lower drive power from the 817 waiting to acquire tuner that'll take full power, not wanting to hurt beloved Elecraft T1. But running with just about 20w or so has made a huge difference just getting out of suburbia/RFI-hell and seeing what my home QTH OCF dipole can do. Across the board from the distant-end the audio-quality of the signal is mentioned and after a recent hectic weekend on 20m (CW and SSB) the amp never got beyond warm and trucked right along.

Very solid product. Gonna stay at home all the time? Just get a 100w base. Want to get out from home AND be able to unplug the 817 and go? This is a very viable solution.

KB3RUN Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2010 15:53 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this amp to go with my FT-817ND. It is a great little amp. It puts out good power out and I have received excellent signal reports using this unit. I recommend this amplifier to FT-817/ND users.

73s,
Hemanth

K6DIL Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2009 05:47 Send this review to a friend
Useful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this in anticipation of the Flex 1500 QRP black box transceiver, due later this month. In the meantime, I am playing with it and a Ten-Tec 516 Argonaut V. The Ten-Tec isn't terribly clean at 2 Watts so I built an attenuator that switches in on transmit and lets me run the Argonaut at 10 Watts (recommended long term power output for PSK31). This works very well and I see a definite improvement in coverage.

The HL-45B appears very well built. The protection seems adequate. It is observed to have 3 kinds of overload protection; excessive supply voltage and/or drive will trip PA shutdown and an orange light comes on; VSWR will just shut down the PA.

The unit is a bit pricey, but building one with a kit, including all the HPFs, would take too much time (and I did get my hands dirty with the TX pad!)

Low Pass Filters, aka Harmonic Filters, of course.