Reviews Categories | Microphones | CAD M177 Studio Condenser Help

Reviews Summary for CAD M177 Studio Condenser
CAD M177 Studio Condenser Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $249.99
Description: Externally-biased large-diaphragm transduction cardioid condenser microphone. 100Hz roll off switch and 20 db pad. Microphone includes the shockmount and a hard case. Requires phantom power.
More info: http://www.cadmics.com/M177.php

You can write your own review of the CAD M177 Studio Condenser.

KC2RGW Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2008 07:57 Send this review to a friend
First impressions  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is indeed a condenser mic. It is the first one I have used in an amateur radio application and it takes a bit of fiddling to gain stage it properly and gate it for a nice clean signal without a lot of background noise.

The payoff for getting everything set up and learning where the sweet spot is for the pickup pattern is that you get a very nice transparent sound.

You have to get pretty close to this mic to induce exaggerated proximity effect and four inches or so away has a nice forgiving 'bubble' to work in without a lot of fading or tonal quality shift.

Sound quality is nice and flat, which is what I was really looking for. No built in curves that I had to fight with. As a result it has a nice articulate quality to it.

It's easy to turn one's head while talking and with the ultra tight pattern dynamic I've been using, that can mean the audio level shifts a bit too dramatically if I'm not being disciplined and staying close on dead center.

I would strongly advise anyone using a condenser to have an audio compressor in line. The high sensitivity of these mics make plosives a problem if you don't control them. They can be like cannon fire compared to the base audio level. Much different than a dynamic mic.

I'm using this one with a Symetrix 528e with excellent results. I also used it with a Joe Meek ThreeQ and it sounded great, but without a noise gate and the high sensitivity, I just didn't like the overall effect. I prefer a gated sound with as little background as possible.

If you have a noisy shack and don't have the compressor/gate to use, skip the idea of a condenser and use a dynamic mic instead.

Overall construction quality is very good, solid materials and has the full shock mount and an added hard mount ring included, as well as a hard plastic carrying box.

I got mine in a one-day blowout sale for about half what the average selling price is right now, so keep your eyes out for specials. For what I paid, it was an incredible bargain.