Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-949D Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-949D
MFJ-949D Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $150
Description: 300 watt antenna tuner
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/tuners/mfj949e.html

You can write your own review of the MFJ-949D.

KB2NAT Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2012 17:05 Send this review to a friend
Works well and easily  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine at a garage sale for $25. It has been an excellent unit, tuning verticals, G5RV's, and horizontal loops. It hasn't failed at tuning anything anything I've tried to tune thus far. It just does what you'd want it to do.

KE6TDT Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2011 21:28 Send this review to a friend
Tunes everything  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this tuner for about 10 years and will say it tunes my homemade inverted V and vertical Butternut HF6V-x flat on all bands.

No problems with this tuner and the SWR meter is large and easy to read.

If you need a basic manual tuner that gets the job done, the 949D will do that.

KB0HAE Rating: 4/5 Feb 20, 2011 12:15 Send this review to a friend
Good tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I would give this tuner a 4.5. It has worked well for me. I like the large lighted cross needle meter and the internal dummy load. No bad switches or solder joints. My only issue is that the power jack for the light is a 1/8 inch phone jack. When a plug is inserted, the positive leas is shorted to ground momentarily. Not an issue if using a small wall wort, it could well be an issue if using a larger power supply or a battery to power the light Otherwise a good reliable tuner.

KB0SFP Rating: 3/5 Jun 1, 2010 20:29 Send this review to a friend
Not too bad for an MFJ.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Mine is actually a 949C but I doubt if there is much difference, if any. I purchased this tuner used at a hamfest for $50 in the box with the manual. I consider this money well spent. It was my first experience with cross needle meters & I must say that it has spoiled me. The built in 100 watt dry dummy load, multi-antenna switch & bypass function are all very nice features to have in your tuner.

I've been very disappointed of late with several of my MFJ purchases & I have voiced this disappointment here. So, I felt compelled to write something positive about one of the companies products, or as positive as I could. That in mind, this tuner(once fixed) would tune anything I hooked to it. My main station antenna(though I have many) is a 75mtr 1/4 wave vertical currently fed with about 75ft of coax. This tuner will tune that antenna on any frequency between 160 & 10 meters. Now that is quite a feat as this antenna will present everything from a very-very low impedance on 160 to an extremely high one on 10. But this tuner would tune it.

Now for the bad news. I don't know if it was I who did it, or if the antenna was purchased that way, but the max inductance position on the selector switch was burned up & arching. It was a typical heepie cheepie MFJ switch. I replaced it with a standard one of the same size made of porcelain. The second point common with many MFJ RF products is their unwillingness to buy hardware. I/E all the SO-239 connectors are held in place with soft aluminum pop rivets(instead of screws, nuts, & lock washers). All of these were loose & you can imagine the havoc it played when trying to tune a load. To add to this crummy practice, even though these SO-239's have 4 mounting/screw holes MFJ saved another fraction of a cent by only using TWO pop rivets. Not wanting to drill them out & replace them with screws I was able to tighten them up with a center punch & ball peen hammer. Then there was the usual abundance of crummy solder connections. Lastly, though rated at 300 watts this tuner will only take at most 1/2 that. But then, it's an MFJ so you already know that.

Would I buy a new one? Absolutely not! Would I buy a used one cheap, then bring it home & fix it up? You betcha.

Dennis Starks
Military-Radio-Guy
KB0SFP
Monitor(all USB):
3996, 5403.5, 7296, 14342.5, 18157.5

AC0LP Rating: 3/5 May 18, 2009 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Wiring faults seem a common complaint  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought used on Ebay - open it up and found one cold joint and one wire just wrapped around a terminal without ANY solder in sight.

Once repaired, it functioned fine in a marine mobile environment using about 25 watts on Pactor II. I also used it when landlocked but eventually sold it when all my equipment had internal tuners.

If you pick one up, get out the magnifiers and examine EVERY connection.

N5XTR Rating: 4/5 Mar 24, 2008 22:31 Send this review to a friend
Better than expected!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 949D was a freebie from another ham. He replaced it with an LDG AT1000. When I took the cover off, the inductor coil was soldered together from the heat. I fixed it and separated the coils. It has a very good tuning range and I really use the dummy load a lot. I even had this thing mounted in the mobile!!!

More reliable than my LDG AT100pro!

KB9BPF Rating: 4/5 Jul 17, 2006 21:33 Send this review to a friend
Good to have around  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had a "D" for many years and it's performed well. I don't use it much any more since I'm QRO-capable, but I think it's a nice tuner for use with a barefoot rig. I did once try to use it with a DX-100 on 160m (125w carrier / 500W PEP AM) and it started to spit a little, but I won't hold that against it at all.

Like any T-match, it's possible to find multiple matches on most bands. For best efficiency and to reduce the possibilty of damaging the tuner, the rule of thumb is to use the smallest inductance setting possible that provides a match.

VA3DXV Rating: 4/5 May 2, 2006 09:46 Send this review to a friend
Can't ask for more for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
All in all, a pretty good tuner for the money. One can be had on the used market for about $75 to $90 canadian.

The limit is 300 watts. I frequently transmit at over 500-600 watts, and the tuner handles it just fine, as long as I remember to tune at lower power first.

I've put over 400 watts carrier into the dummy load and while it gets hot and smells bad, and the value of the resistor will change a little, it hasn't gone "poof" yet :) Then again I haven't really pushed it either.

Would have been a 5 if it was constructed a bit better, but for the money this one was a good buy. Your mileage may vary with MFJ.

W7WHY Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2006 19:16 Send this review to a friend
Good little tuners  Time owned: more than 12 months
I get a kick out of all the 0 through 2 reviews for antenna tuners. Especially when they say "I have owned 4 of them." For crying out loud, it something is so bad, why buy 4 of them? Sometimes I think somebody hasn't RFM or something.

I have had (and still have) 3 of the MFJ 949 tuners here in the shack and they have all worked fine. I use one on a 130 foot center fed with 300 ohm ribbon on all bands 160 through 10. I have a G5RV on the other radio and another tuner tunes it fine. Never had a problem with either one of them.

You have to go through the knob settings while listening to the receiver before you crank a bunch of power into one and then start flipping switches. Just listening to the radio can get you really close to the right tuning before applying power. Once I get them set, I just return the knobs back to the marked settings and it's really close. I just ordered another higher powered one to use with my new amplifier.

So far, been very satisfied with my MFJ tuners.

W9DEW Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2006 10:35 Send this review to a friend
$ for $, a GREAT Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this tuner for about 10-12 years. I have had only 1 problem, lightening! AND replacing a diode resolved that. I have tuned just about everything with it. On 160 meters, I had certain frequencies that I could not tune my 40 meter dipole, but I consider that quite an accomplishment. I never had anything that would put out more than 100 watts so I can't say how it would handle that.

It works great on ladder line and coax. Meter is easy to read, lighting is a blessing for my older eyes. If you need a versatile tuner for a 100 watt rig, you won’t find a better deal for $65 to $95 bucks used.

73 & Good DX,