Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ 949D Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 949D
MFJ 949D Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $150
Description: 300 watt antenna tuner
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/tuners/mfj949e.html

You can write your own review of the MFJ 949D.

W5NM Rating: 1/5 Jan 25, 2006 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Not Too Swift!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned several MFJ tuners over the years,
and without exception, everyone has bad switches.
After a couple of years or less, the switches do
not make good contact or are burned. Also on some
MFJ tuners, I found the rotary capacitor contacts
to be intermittent and making lousy connection.
When they are new, they generally work fine, but
given a little time and use and they fall short
in quality and performance. I also have had two
MFJ 259B units which also have poor switches which eventually fail all together.
They are still are a long way from manufacturing
a quality product that will last for years. I
believe that MFJ does the Ham community a great service by providing products that can't be purchased anywhere else at any price. I for one
appreciate it. That being said, I hope they (MFJ)
read some of these comments about their products
and do something to improve their quality control.

N5UV Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2006 09:00 Send this review to a friend
Don't listen to the MFJ-haters....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had one these for over 15 year, and I haven't had ONE single workmanship or QC issue or operating problem. Not a single issue, guys! I've used it 3 years in a row now for Field Day, it's been banged up and dropped I don't know how many times, I've taken it camping in the past, ran OVER 100 watts on it with tube rigs, made non-resonant ants. fed with coax work just well enough to operate on other bands, etc. If that's not a good tuner, I don't know what is!

I bought this new, so anyone buying it used should be leary to begin with...you can possibly buy radios used, but not tuners (or amplifiers), because you don't really know how abused someone else's stuff is until giving it a good workout on the air...on all bands.

Not sure about the comment having to do with the lack of "range" on the tuner, I've never had a problem loading up anything to it...even non-resonant antennas (like window sill frames, etc.) Look, you're going to have to retune on 80 meters every time you move 25 kcs or more, that's just a fact of life...that's a function of the antenna (and how it was built or designed), can't blame the tuner because you're loading up a Hustler CB antenna on 60 meters.

Only reason I don't use one any more is that I'm going to be "driving a stagecoach" soon, to use the CB term for running high power...so I got the MFJ Differential T version, and it works well too.

Stop hating MFJ for what they are...you may not like the quality of some of their products, but more times than not, they have good equipment at affordable prices. If you have money growing on trees, then go deck out your shack with all the Ten-Tec gear you like.

KC9GGV Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2005 21:32 Send this review to a friend
Good Tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had my MFJ-949D for almost a year. I got it on eBay for about $70. I have never had any trouble with it. The meter works fine and no problems with the inductor. I am using it to tune a G5RV Jr on 10, 20 and 40 meters. I also use it on 80 meters by tying both sides of G5RV Jr together with a jumper and run it into the tuner as a single wire (Marconi T). For a simple tuner it gets the job done.

NE0P Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2004 01:32 Send this review to a friend
works well for me!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I picked up one of these tuners recently on ebay to replace a 941D which I traded for an HT. The 941D was a great tuner, but the meter didn't work, and I thought that the internal dummy load might be nice if I got a tube rig.

So far the tuner has worked great. Matches anything I throw at it. The settings were much different than on the 941D, but it loads it up. It also seems less picky than the 941D, where you had to tweak the caps just right to get a match on some bands. This tuner also has some nice features:

1. Cross needle power/SWR meter
2. Internal dummy load
3. PEP or average reading meter
4. Antenna switch that will handle 2 coax antennas, and a balanced line or single wire feeder.

Overall, it does the job, and looks fairly nice while doing it. Plus it didn't cost an arm and leg like some of the other tuners out there. You can say what you want to about MFJ, but I have always had good luck with their tuners.

KB3JZG Rating: 2/5 Oct 14, 2003 15:43 Send this review to a friend
Horrible Inductor Switch  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Reason behind the "E" unit was one of the problems I had with the "D". The rotary inductor switch will not last. It was never made to handle 300 watts let alone 150. After mine went south, MFJ informed me that the only way to fix it was to get a totally new inductor with the switch installed. Now I have a "D" unit with the "E" inductor and switch. Havent had any problems since I installed the new parts.......

KE8YY Rating: 4/5 May 31, 2003 20:34 Send this review to a friend
A good, solid tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this tuner for well over 10 years. I've used it to improve the match on my Butternut vertical and to match countless dipoles, half-squares, and other wire antennas I've put up. There's nothing revolutionary about it- just a good, well made T-tuner with cross-needle metering (an excellent feature), dummy load, balun and antenna switch. For most hams, it's all the tuner you'll ever need.

AF4MH Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2003 21:49 Send this review to a friend
copy of manual MFJ-949D  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got a MFJ-949D used and its working great, but if anyone out there has a copy of the user manual in .pdf format, please can I have a copy of it.. Thanks

great tuner to work with ...

AD5EM Rating: 4/5 Jan 4, 2003 12:24 Send this review to a friend
Works and is inexpensive  Time owned: more than 12 months
I aquired mine with the purchase of my first hf station as a package, used from another ham. I used it with that Yaesu FT-101ZD, then a Collins KWM-2A and most recently with an Alinco DX-70T. All those were into a G5RV and the tuner has worked fine always and on all bands. It's pretty easy to use and I've had no problems with it. I'd give it a 5, but it has kind of a cheap look/feel to it. I've considered selling it several times, but it keeps finding work in my shack, so here it stays. I'm looking for a tuner capable of higher power, so I can run an amplifier, then I might sell this one.

KG4OHE Rating: 4/5 Feb 21, 2002 16:09 Send this review to a friend
Works Good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only had my unit about 2 months. I purchased it 2nd hand from another Ham who said he had it "gone thru".

I personally can't see what there was to "go thru" but I paid him the $65 that we'd agreed to and have had no problems.

I use the unit to tune a random length end fed wire antenna with resonant cut counterpoise wires connected to the Ground Post and am able to tune and load 100w on all the bands I have wires cut for. It ain't pretty but it works in a stealth antenna required environment. Wish I had the 12 vdc supply to light up the meter.
The only repairs I've had to do to the unit were to tighten up the mounting nuts on the capacitors and "tweak" one of the plates on the antenna capacitor to remove a rubbing condition. Other than that all is as advertised.

VE4AMN Rating: 3/5 Apr 18, 2000 23:38 Send this review to a friend
Ok but ......  Time owned: unknown months
This is a 300 watt "T" tuner that matches coax (2 antennas, wire and balanced line through an internal balun. The positives are a meter (of reasonable accuracy), the ability to switch two coax antennas, a wire and balanced line, and an internal dummy load. The negatives are that it is not a wide range tuner. The manual recommends that for 160 and 80 you tie the shield and centre connector together, use it as a wire and feed it against the ground. Kinda defeats the switching features. The rotary capacitors tend to get dirty and cause noise and erratic tune-up. The settings can be very tricky. I gave up on 160 and 80. It does work well into an inverted vee with 450 ohm line for 40 and above. I think that it is essentially the same as the 949e