Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | CHAMELEON V1 HF Multiband Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for CHAMELEON V1 HF Multiband Antenna
CHAMELEON V1 HF Multiband Antenna Reviews: 72 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $299
Description: The CHAMELEON V1 HF Multiband Antenna™ is a revolutionary antenna that stands at a mere 8.5 feet tall and contains a unique trap coil design. This antenna is ideally designed for mobile, portable or base station purposes were limited space is a concern. This antenna is a lightweight antenna system with 11 BANDS of capability including: 6m, 10m, 11m (Citizens Band), 12m, 15m, 17m, 20m, 30m, 40m, 60m & 80m. The CHAMELEON V1 HF Multiband Antenna™ can also operate on the 70cm, 1.25m & 2m BANDS (144Mhz to 500Mhz) but is primarily a HF antenna. Unlike other multiband antennas, the CHAMELEON V1 HF Multiband Antenna™ requires no changing of switches, jumpers, coils, etc. Our simple screw together two-part system makes the CHAMELEON V1 HF Multiband Antenna™ easy to manage and store. The CHAMELEON V1 HF Multiband Antenna™ is a Super-Flexible Whip. This advantage allows the antenna to withstand extreme shock from obstructions without breakage or failing. To function properly this antenna REQUIRES A TUNER (RECOMMENDED) OR A 9:1 BALUN.
More info: http://chameleonantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the CHAMELEON V1 HF Multiband Antenna.

KB1PFL Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2016 03:20 Send this review to a friend
very well made easy to set up  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
well made antenna easy to set up good for multiple bands

VE6EDF Rating: 4/5 Nov 23, 2015 03:34 Send this review to a friend
Portable Operation in a 5th Wheel  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
works great an tunes easy

KC0YLA Rating: 4/5 Nov 9, 2015 09:28 Send this review to a friend
Borrowed one for Mobile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After 10 years as a ham I wanted to go mobile, so I borrowed one form a friend, at first I had a high SWR and then we mad an extension from the bumper to over the van about four feet out of PVC , wooden dowel and wire, put 3/8 thread connectors on each end sealed it and once the base of the V! was above the top of the van it worked great 1:2 swr with great coverage, I did use a tuner above forty meters.

KE7RIP Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2015 21:28 Send this review to a friend
Build quality.  Time owned: more than 12 months
After having had this antenna outdoors for over 3 years And having it still function with minimal service i am impressed. The issue i had in my previous review turned out to be an easy fix by tightening up the mounting hardware to the bracket from the antenna directly. Almost 4 years really. I use this antenna for em-comm. So i take it down at least once a year off the house and into the mountains for HF work with a race i help with. No issues. I might buy an F-loop next.
73.

N9KSD Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2014 17:16 Send this review to a friend
awesome antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive used this antenna since Ive had it with my alinco dx70 and have had no problems with it. been with me to scout cap for 2 week period, set up for JATO... and has been used in emergency situations with satern. my troop wants to get another antenna since this one is about to fade away but we cant afford to buy one. but I would get this one again or another one from the product line.

KC2PKB Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2014 03:58 Send this review to a friend
LOW SWR  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchases this antenna with the Hybrid to compliment my base station dipole. I am running 3 25 foot radials at around 45 degrees suspended from a mast that foots directly to a ground. I am a MARS Station as well running outside the normal Ham bands. The SWR is LOW no matter where I am on the dial, and my internal ICOM tuner is enough to fully tune this antenna. This quality was immediately recognized out of the box. All the construction was solid, decent diagrams included and well packaged for shipping. This will make an excellent travel/field antenna. Signal reports all good. Not as much of a long distance traveler as my dipole, but hey, I'm running 100 watts.

VA7IQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2014 17:16 Send this review to a friend
Portable Operation in a 5th Wheel  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently I obtained a V1 and V2 combo with an older/vintage dipole mount from a friend. The antenna went into operation very well.

In a vertical implementation, I use a quick release connector to a mirror mount on my RV ladder (which is grounded to the frame).

In a horizontal dipole implementation, I have two 1.75 inch military metal tent poles in homebrew ABS pipe mounts on the other side of the ladder for a mast. The aluminum dipole mount is attached using a muffler clamp to one, and I can push it up from below once the antennas are in place. The V1/V2 antennas spread horizontally, mostly behind the trailer, and are about 12' off the ground. The masts are tensioned with a 2-foot bungee cord wrapped around it to provide a braking effect and to steady the direction since it is rotatable.

While I did have initial problems, which is often the case when grabbing a bad feed line for the install, once remedied the dipole configuration sprang to life.

Signals were strong, and my first contact yielded a 59 response from W1AW/4 in Alabama (operating from Vancouver Canada) with the dipole pointed due east (along 49th parallel).

I am very pleased with the easily collapsible nature of the antenna, minimal storage (less than my fishing rod case with ham sticks!), and flexibility for both vertical and horizontal deployment. Being mobile, I can setup a vertical quickly for an overnight stay, and on longer stays the dipole offers great directivity.

It would be unfair to miss commenting that I am very impressed by the online support made available when I had questions, particularly when the feed line issue raised its head and my antenna analyzer was highlighting the issue.

The key reasons I am both impressed and pleased with the antenna are 1) size, 2) flexible deployment, 3) minimal storage space, and 4) it certainly seems to get out better than my mono-band ham sticks.

NC3Z Rating: 4/5 Oct 15, 2014 04:37 Send this review to a friend
Good Performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The quality and workmanship is top notch, a lot of engineering thought went into this antenna. My version was the V1L and I used it mobile. Chameleon antennas actually posted my install on their YouTube channel showing some of the DX I worked on 17 & 20M while mobile.

I did A/B testing of the V1L and Hamsticks and found that the V1L equaled the performance BUT each hamstick only worked on it's band, the V1L worked them all with a IT-100 tuner.

However, comparing the V1L with a Hi-Q antenna performance of the V1L was measured to be 10-15dB down on 40M and 80M compared to the Hi-Q. And equal on 20M and up. Again this was an A/B with the V1L on one side of my pickup bed and the other antennas on the other side, both mounted to GeoTool stake bed pocket mounts.

For ease of tuning the V1L won, and it may have stayed on my mobile if it was not for trees on my street. The base height of my mobile point is 5' above the road, which put the V1L up to 13' in my case.Did not have issues anywhere else expect my street and they were low!

KE7RIP Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2014 03:16 Send this review to a friend
Physical review.  Time owned: more than 12 months
My other reviews were for signal. This one is for structural.

I've beaten this antenna all to hell and its managed to stay intact and functional. Its fallen off of roofs. Off the side of a car at 10 miles per hour. As well as been used as a rapier by my oldest kid. No peeling plastic body parts or cracking. The only issue i have found is that the antennas covering at the base will rotate but i think that is my fault for using it to rotate the antenna off its mount rather then use a wrench.

YV5OF Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2014 06:40 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna for Field Day  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi,

I'm using mobile antennas for over 10 years, I own several models, including the Chameleon series I have the V1 and V2 Original.

In my field or mountain operations, for reasons of speed work with the CHA-V1 model from my SUV. Installation is simple, efficient and without much work. Considering the basic details of location and transmission line to have been enough to operate QRP or 100W.

For bands of 6m to 30m SWR achievement levels of 2.0 - 1.3 with support from the antenna tunner sometimes. In the bands 40m - 80m using a pair of radial that help counteract SWR and reach levels between 2.5 - 1.8.

A steady operations from a mountain, I made a QSO with 10w from Venezuela with LU8HK station, working with batteries and my antenna CHA-1.
Video -> http://youtu.be/_4BlhLSa-D4

Moving to daily operations, work with the V2 model, reaching 20m with good local contacts report 57 -59.

The diversity of antennas having, is easily adapted to the needs of amateur radio, from mobile operations (fixed or moving), QRP operations or fixed bases in apartment with restricted space. Excellent engineering work which has been developing the Chameleon team, I'm waiting for the new CHA-MLOOP for my QRP operations.

Severino - YV5OF