Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-175T Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-175T
Alinco DJ-175T Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $$119 but discounts may be given
Description: Alinco has created a new 2 meter HT that is reasonalbly priced, small, and is easy operate. The DJ-175 has an alphanumeric display for easy memory management or standard frequency display. It has an ergonomic design that's "user friendly" and the 5-watt output rechargeable battery is standard as well as the cup charger with red charge LED.
More info: http://www.alinco.com/usa.html

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-175T.

N9QIE Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2013 09:04 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great radio at a great price. I got it at Ham-sters in Dowagiac, MI. They let me program in a repeater and try it out right there in the store. It was easy to program. I have had it a week and I have no problem with the volume and squelch. Just takes some getting used to. Not that impressed with the battery life but I have the LiON on its way.

W4POO Rating: 4/5 Aug 15, 2012 20:14 Send this review to a friend
PRICE & TROUBLE-FREE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
GOOD HT #1-WORKS TROUBLE FREE--#2 THE PRICE I PICKED IT UP AT R&L UP IN OHIO FOR $ 89.00 A GOOD BUY DON'T YOU THANK WELL--#3 EZ TO SETUP,NOT A DUAL-BANDER BUT FOR WHAT IT IS GREAT LITTLE H/T

KA8EMJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2012 08:53 Send this review to a friend
I like it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have found this HT easy to use and program. I barely used the manual. The bottons are labled well and the functions are easy to figure out. It has 3 power levels and the audio is good. I wish it came with a better battery though. The stock battery is only a Ni-MH 700 mAH. There is a good Li-ion 1200 mAH you can buy seperately, but is expensive.

KC2VZN Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2012 09:19 Send this review to a friend
A good, simple HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm a new ham, and this is the first ham radio I bought. I also have a Yaesu FT-50R loaned from a friend, so my impressions come from that comparison. Iím also familiar with other communication receivers and scanners. Iíve owned the Alinco about a month now.

The instruction manual is not very clear. It reads like it was translated by a computer or a person who speaks English as a second language. Most of the errors are just grammatical, but sometimes this makes it hard to understand. Other times the manual is just plain wrong, for example the wire cloning instructions. The instructions for programming a frequency had me stuck for while until I figured out that the repeater access function (I was playing with earlier) must be turned off before you can save to a memory. Maybe this is basic HT knowledge, but I didn't know it, and the manual never mentioned it.

Overall, the radio is not complicated, and once learned, it seems very logical and intuitive. It may not have all the bells and whistles some HTs (like the Yaesu) pack in, but this accounts for the more logical key labeling and menu operation. Iíd say that is a big plus for a new user like me, trying to figure this out for the first time.

The keypad has 18 keys plus power. The keys work fine, standard "pocket calculator" quality. The PTT button, has a very nice feel and excellent tactile feedback. The multipurpose knob has pretty good feel, too.

I built a programming cable adapter from information I dug up on the internet. Search for "ERW-4C schematic". It works fine, and Alinco is nice enough to give you the PC software for free.

Overall, a well designed rig with a "friendly", easy to use feel. Considering the price and features, a really good value.

W3END Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2012 19:10 Send this review to a friend
Nice little HT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Good radio for under $100.00. It is easy to program, sounds good, nice size. I would recommend to anyone looking for a low cost, simple HT.

KE5NYS Rating: 4/5 Mar 29, 2011 00:59 Send this review to a friend
Good Bang for the Bucks...  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a good little name brand 2 meter unit for the money, and very user friendly in my opinion.
Only negative I've encountered so far is that the replacement battery is not widely available, and can be costly from some suppliers. Universal Radio
seems to have about the best buy on the battery from what I've found.

AB0RE Rating: 4/5 Dec 20, 2010 16:30 Send this review to a friend
The Good, The Bad, The Ugly  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I owned a DJ-175T for a short time. My curiousity of Alinco got the best of me, so it was an impulse buy. Ended up selling it for an Icom IC-T70A dualbander, but here are my initial impressions:

The Good - Nice Audio, standard speaker mike jack, no worthless "bells and whistles" to over-complicate things. Seemed to hold its own at the Dayton hamfest in the midst of many, many adjacent channel signals. It was fun to own something different than the Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu HTs I normally own, although the programming sequence was just a bit different. Really, the radio was a solid performer.

The Bad - "The options". Did not appear that a 6xAA alkaline case was ever offered for this radio (hard to make it part of a "go-kit", etc). Very little information on the programming cable/software available (after-market Icom programming cables can be had on eBay for pennies on the dollar - never really found the jackpot for getting a programming cable for the DJ-175T that wouldn't run me $50 like the OEM one.)

The Ugly - 700mAh NiMH battery. Not sure why Alinco chose to use 20 year old technology on this radio. To get a 1200mAh battery and outboard charger (required for the 1200mAh LiON battery) will run an extra hundred bucks. If I'm going to spend an extra hundred bucks for a higher capacity battery system, it's gonna at least be on a dualbander. Even worse is that the DJ-175T doesn't have provisions for direct-DC input. Again this would make the radio a horrible choice for a go-kit / spare / emergency application. When you finally did need the radio you'd find out you had a dead battery and you'd be in a world of hurt being able to power it up.

Overall, ya I'd buy one again.... as a spare to a spare... or for a packet/APRS radio.... or just for fun or for something different. But if a guy is looking for "the one" HT to own, and he plans on using it a lot, he may want to look at a model that has better battery options and more readily-available accessories.

N0TES Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2010 08:16 Send this review to a friend
Hasn't failed me, ever  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ok, so it's easy to program, operate, and works just as good any other HT I have ever owned. I bought it as my back-up rig and have found it has great audio on both TX & RX. I'd buy another one if I ever needed even a primary HT. Great Radio!

N7DOC Rating: 4/5 Jun 7, 2009 08:51 Send this review to a friend
Great little handheld  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had many issues with my current handheld due to the complexity of programming. I can program with the book but not in the field during parades and other support events where changing frequencies is required.

That is no longer the case. The Alinco DJ-175T has solved this problem. After programming just one repeater I was able to repeat the process without the manual.

Size, price and ease of use should make this rig a best buy for any Ham.

W1LIC Rating: 4/5 Apr 23, 2009 08:02 Send this review to a friend
Not perfect, but...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I must agree with N6BOB's comments. For the $100 I paid, it is a nice little handheld, but not having a dedicated volume control can be a bit of a pain. Also, the radio seems to be fairly susceptible to intermod. Fortunately, I'm usually not in a high intermod area, but there are places I go where it can be a problem. Aside from all this, it is a good radio for the price.