Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS 10 THROUGH 40 METER GROUND PLANE VERTICAL Help

Reviews Summary for ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS 10 THROUGH 40 METER GROUND PLANE VERTICAL
ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS 10 THROUGH 40 METER GROUND PLANE VERTICAL Reviews: 66 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $379.
Description: A 10 though 40 meter multiband vertical ground plane.Has 6 aluminum radials 100 inches long.Vertical element is 27 feet tall.This vertical is self resonant across the whole 20 meter band So it can be used as a monoband 20 meter vertical.mounts to a 1 3/4 inch OD pipe and it can be mounted on a 10 foot pipe in the ground.Requires a matching transformer.
More info: http://WWW.ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS.COM

You can write your own review of the ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS 10 THROUGH 40 METER GROUND PLANE VERTICAL.

AB9SG Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2017 08:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna and Customer Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can't say enough about this antenna. It does whatever I want with it. Recently we had high winds in the Chicago area and broke the antenna at the center insulator. I contacted Tom at Zerofive and asked if there was a cheap fix. He asked me to take pictures and send them to him. To my amazement he said that he would fix under warranty after having the antenna after a number of years. What great customer service.

AK9S Rating: 4/5 Sep 3, 2015 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Follow-up After 12 Months  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you read my review from a year ago, you would know I was not too thrilled with my elevated vertical antenna. Before taking it down and attempting to sell it, I decided to convert it to an Inverted "L".

By adding 38'-6" of wire horizontally to the very top of this 27' vertical, it became a 1/4 wave on 80M and a 1/2 wave on 40M.

My noise level on 40M dropped by 2 S-units and signals are now generally 10-12 dB stronger than before. Wow! And it gets out in a fantastic manner as well. An incredible transformation.

I used a telescoping fiberglass mast to attach the wire at the other end. Performance has been fantastic on 40M, although just decent on 80M (about the same as the previous vertical antenna) due to a 1/4 wave requiring a good radial system and/or counterpoise.

Why the strong performance on 40M?

As an end-fed 1/2 wave, the maximum radiation occurs at the mid-span of the antenna, which would be along the wire (the highest point of the antenna.) A 1/2 wave end-fed antenna is not very dependent on a good radial system, thereby making it very efficient on 40M. The impedance will be high though, so you will need to use an external tuner to match it. I use 0.5-inch Heliax feedline to minimize losses due to the high SWR on 40M.

On 80M, I found an SWR of 1:1 when bypassing the tuner at 3.650 MHz. An SWR of 2:1 at +/-0.150 MHz. As a 1/4 wave, it resonates on this band.

Now I have a great antenna on my small lot for 40M, it talks very well on 20M, and just decent on 80M. I imagine performance has been sacrificed on the higher bands, but with the solar cycle weakening and those bands closed most of the time, I can live with that.

K1PJR Rating: 3/5 Jun 6, 2015 05:53 Send this review to a friend
Just ok  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna for about a year. Built very well. I have it up 14 feet off the ground. SWR is acceptable using 100+ feet of coax. I also have a longwire and an Antenna switch. No difference between the two on receive. I make contacts with it but when I can't get through I switch to the longwire.

I've logged 116 countries but only a few of those are with the vertical. I'll keep it but I've decided to build a loop and do more A/B testing. Maybe my expectations were too high.

W3WMU Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2015 12:40 Send this review to a friend
Highly Recommend  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the Zero Five 10-40 with ground plane based on previous reviews. The antenna has more than lived up to the reviews. Solid high quality materials. I am using a MFJ 993B auto tuner and have been very happy with the performance. I did follow Toms advice and ran a 100' length of LMR-400 coax. The matches are 1.5 or less. This antenna has more than met expectations. I live on 10 acres so I don't have any restrictions but I did feel like running a bunch of radials and have been impressed with the DX I have been able to receive using this antenna. I highly recommend this antenna.

N4EES Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2015 09:17 Send this review to a friend
Exceeded my expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a very fine antenna...it is built to last, and performs exceptionally well. I have mounted mine a little over 6 feet above the ground. My choice of coax was RG-213, one hundred feet. Where the coax enters the house, I have coiled it into an 8 turn, 8" loop, to serve as an RF choke. On the first two days of operation, I worked over 30 countries, on all continents. It was surprising to me, that, given my QTH in a valley in east TN, surrounded by mountains, I have been able to work stations throughout Africa, Asia and Oceana with relative ease. On 20 meters, I have been hearing activity almost 24 hours a day. So far, I have been operating barefoot (100 watts). This is far more than I expected from a simple groundplane vertical. I am very happy with mine, and can give it my highest praise!

KJ4PV Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2015 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Works great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Mounted on a 6 foot portable mast. Works great on all bands 10 through 40. Have worked DX world wide. Would definitely buy again.

K7EII Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2014 13:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Verticle  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This antenna is very well built! Assembled in less than one hour. I had some questions regarding best location for the antenna due to CCR's. Tom was VERY helpful, he made a suggestions which I followed (quick response to all questions).
I am running a TS-480SAT into a KT-100 and this antenna is superb, SWR on 10-160 meters flat for most frequencies. I have made contacts all over the U.S. and the world (i.e. JA,S5,LZ,GM, etc.)
I love this antenna and could not be more happy.
Thank you Tom for an excellent product and Service.

K0MTN Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2014 11:08 Send this review to a friend
Great! Meets my expecations!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am VERY happy with my ZF-GP1040 as my base station antenna. It works much better than my previous portable vertical and wire antennas that I had tried. Contacts report that my signals are strong and clear.

My ZF-GP1040 is about 14' up on a telescoping mast and fed by 100' of LMR-400. Assembly and installation was a breeze. I use an AT-200ProII tuner and my transceiver is an FT-450D with no external amplifier.

High winds in my area have torn up roofs and knocked down trees, but the ZF-GP1040 has not suffered any damage. Tom was very responsive to my questions about features and installation. Excellent pre-sales support! There is a photo of my install on my QRZ profile.

I wish I had the opportunity to test multiple vertical antennas, run measurements, and give objective results, but that isn't an option for me. I highly recommend the ZF-GP1040 as a solution for limited space requirements.

K1QF Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2014 11:53 Send this review to a friend
Great in every respect  Time owned: more than 12 months
I easily tune this antenna with the internal tuner on my ICOM 7600. With only 100 watts I am able to work most of the DX I can hear. It is exceptionally well made, and although un-guyed it has handled several heavy windstorms without any problems. Mine is mounted on a 3 foot pipe pounded into the ground. Customer service is outstanding and responsive. This antenna is highly recommended if space is limited.

K3KRN Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2014 06:56 Send this review to a friend
works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
great option for a small yard. worked kuwait from maryland the first day i had it up. assembly is also very easy.