Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS 10 THROUGH 40 METER GROUND PLANE VERTICAL Help

Reviews Summary for ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS 10 THROUGH 40 METER GROUND PLANE VERTICAL
ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS 10 THROUGH 40 METER GROUND PLANE VERTICAL Reviews: 67 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $379.
Description: A 10 though 40 meter multiband vertical ground plane.Has 6 aluminum radials 100 inches long.Vertical element is 27 feet tall.This vertical is self resonant across the whole 20 meter band So it can be used as a monoband 20 meter vertical.mounts to a 1 3/4 inch OD pipe and it can be mounted on a 10 foot pipe in the ground.Requires a matching transformer.
More info: http://WWW.ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS.COM

You can write your own review of the ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS 10 THROUGH 40 METER GROUND PLANE VERTICAL.

K1PJR Rating: 3/5 Jun 6, 2015 05:53 Send this review to a friend
Just ok  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna for about a year. Built very well. I have it up 14 feet off the ground. SWR is acceptable using 100+ feet of coax. I also have a longwire and an Antenna switch. No difference between the two on receive. I make contacts with it but when I can't get through I switch to the longwire.

I've logged 116 countries but only a few of those are with the vertical. I'll keep it but I've decided to build a loop and do more A/B testing. Maybe my expectations were too high.

W3WMU Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2015 12:40 Send this review to a friend
Highly Recommend  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the Zero Five 10-40 with ground plane based on previous reviews. The antenna has more than lived up to the reviews. Solid high quality materials. I am using a MFJ 993B auto tuner and have been very happy with the performance. I did follow Toms advice and ran a 100' length of LMR-400 coax. The matches are 1.5 or less. This antenna has more than met expectations. I live on 10 acres so I don't have any restrictions but I did feel like running a bunch of radials and have been impressed with the DX I have been able to receive using this antenna. I highly recommend this antenna.

N4EES Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2015 09:17 Send this review to a friend
Exceeded my expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a very fine antenna...it is built to last, and performs exceptionally well. I have mounted mine a little over 6 feet above the ground. My choice of coax was RG-213, one hundred feet. Where the coax enters the house, I have coiled it into an 8 turn, 8" loop, to serve as an RF choke. On the first two days of operation, I worked over 30 countries, on all continents. It was surprising to me, that, given my QTH in a valley in east TN, surrounded by mountains, I have been able to work stations throughout Africa, Asia and Oceana with relative ease. On 20 meters, I have been hearing activity almost 24 hours a day. So far, I have been operating barefoot (100 watts). This is far more than I expected from a simple groundplane vertical. I am very happy with mine, and can give it my highest praise!

KJ4PV Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2015 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Works great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Mounted on a 6 foot portable mast. Works great on all bands 10 through 40. Have worked DX world wide. Would definitely buy again.

K7EII Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2014 13:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Verticle  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This antenna is very well built! Assembled in less than one hour. I had some questions regarding best location for the antenna due to CCR's. Tom was VERY helpful, he made a suggestions which I followed (quick response to all questions).
I am running a TS-480SAT into a KT-100 and this antenna is superb, SWR on 10-160 meters flat for most frequencies. I have made contacts all over the U.S. and the world (i.e. JA,S5,LZ,GM, etc.)
I love this antenna and could not be more happy.
Thank you Tom for an excellent product and Service.

K0MTN Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2014 11:08 Send this review to a friend
Great! Meets my expecations!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am VERY happy with my ZF-GP1040 as my base station antenna. It works much better than my previous portable vertical and wire antennas that I had tried. Contacts report that my signals are strong and clear.

My ZF-GP1040 is about 14' up on a telescoping mast and fed by 100' of LMR-400. Assembly and installation was a breeze. I use an AT-200ProII tuner and my transceiver is an FT-450D with no external amplifier.

High winds in my area have torn up roofs and knocked down trees, but the ZF-GP1040 has not suffered any damage. Tom was very responsive to my questions about features and installation. Excellent pre-sales support! There is a photo of my install on my QRZ profile.

I wish I had the opportunity to test multiple vertical antennas, run measurements, and give objective results, but that isn't an option for me. I highly recommend the ZF-GP1040 as a solution for limited space requirements.

K1QF Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2014 11:53 Send this review to a friend
Great in every respect  Time owned: more than 12 months
I easily tune this antenna with the internal tuner on my ICOM 7600. With only 100 watts I am able to work most of the DX I can hear. It is exceptionally well made, and although un-guyed it has handled several heavy windstorms without any problems. Mine is mounted on a 3 foot pipe pounded into the ground. Customer service is outstanding and responsive. This antenna is highly recommended if space is limited.

K3KRN Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2014 06:56 Send this review to a friend
works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
great option for a small yard. worked kuwait from maryland the first day i had it up. assembly is also very easy.

AK9S Rating: 4/5 Jul 14, 2014 11:06 Send this review to a friend
Did not work as planned.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I conducted a lot of research to ensure I would select the best antenna option for my location. This included reading the online owners manual for this particular antenna and contacting Tom ahead of time to ensure the antenna would work over my garage.

I was told that I should add four radial wires below the antenna and to attach them to the aluminum gutters, as that would elevate the effective ground to make tuning possible. Also to use at least 100 feet of LMR-400 UF if I planned on using my internal tuner. Great, so I ordered the antenna.

Unfortunately, these instructions did not work. I have SWR exceeding 3:1 on most bands, so my internal tuner in my rig cannot match this antenna except on 40 meters. I tried not attaching the wire radials to the gutters, and same problem.

I grounded the antenna and the SWR went even higher, something that Tom mentioned is typical to this antenna after calling him. So much for planning ahead and attempting a workable solution.

After speaking to Tom again, he indicated that I should use a good automatic external tuner. Well, I just spent $440 on an antenna and will need to spend more money on another tuner now. Not happy.

I would have saved a lot of money and headaches by simply using a wire antenna solution at a fraction of the cost or an R8.

That said, I appreciate the extreme quality of the antenna and tight fabrication tolerances. I know the antenna works well at or just above ground level, but forget about going any higher unless you have a tuner that can handle high SWRs.

WA0VY Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2014 10:43 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Antenna and Experience  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I went back-and-forth before finally deciding to add this antenna to my operation. My first antenna is the Array Solutions 80-10 OCF which is also a wonderful antenna. I sent Tom some pictures of my QTH and he was very helpful in the site selection, warning me away from problems I had not considered.

As everyone else notes, the antenna is a beauty. Solid construction and well designed. Construction and installation are easy. Because of the location selected, Tom also suggested some additional wire radials which, at first, I installed incorrectly. I sent him an SWR graph from an AIM-4170 which looked good for 20 and up but showed an SWR of 10+:1 on 40. Obviously a problem. I had limited time to mess with it but got going again the following weekend. During this whole time, Tom provided suggestions and potential solutions. I reinspected the wire radials and discovered the main one had been direct wired to the ground rod along with the main antenna ground line. My helper on this project is an electrician and from an AC perspective this may have made sense, but from an RF perspective it was on obvious error. Once that was wired directly to the base of the antenna, WALLA! 9:1. After that, it was a matter of shortening or lengthening that radial. As I added length, I got the SWR peak to slide south of 40 and the 27' Vertical became resonant on 40 without any effect on the higher bands. SWR came down to 1.1 to 1.7 across the entire band without a tuner in line. It's even tunable to an SWR under 1.5:1 on 80. Performance is equal to the OCF on all bands, with one or the other being slightly more effective depending on distance and direction of the contact. I can hear and be heard virtually anywhere and have shelved, for now, my plans to put up a directional antenna.

BTW, big storms came through last night, huge wind, hail, you name it. When the Sun came out, I saw the wires still in the air and Vertical still vertical.

Bottom line, I highly, highly recommend this antenna and manufacture. The entire experience has been terrific.