Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS 10 THROUGH 40 METER GROUND PLANE VERTICAL Help

Reviews Summary for ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS 10 THROUGH 40 METER GROUND PLANE VERTICAL
ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS 10 THROUGH 40 METER GROUND PLANE VERTICAL Reviews: 58 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $379.
Description: A 10 though 40 meter multiband vertical ground plane.Has 6 aluminum radials 100 inches long.Vertical element is 21.5 feet tall.This vertical is self resonant across the whole 20 meter band So it can be used as a monoband 20 meter vertical.mounts to a 1 3/4 inch OD pipe and it can be mounted on a 10 foot pipe in the ground.Requires a matching transformer.
More info: http://WWW.ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS.COM

You can write your own review of the ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS 10 THROUGH 40 METER GROUND PLANE VERTICAL.

WA0VY Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2014 10:43 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Antenna and Experience  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I went back-and-forth before finally deciding to add this antenna to my operation. My first antenna is the Array Solutions 80-10 OCF which is also a wonderful antenna. I sent Tom some pictures of my QTH and he was very helpful in the site selection, warning me away from problems I had not considered.

As everyone else notes, the antenna is a beauty. Solid construction and well designed. Construction and installation are easy. Because of the location selected, Tom also suggested some additional wire radials which, at first, I installed incorrectly. I sent him an SWR graph from an AIM-4170 which looked good for 20 and up but showed an SWR of 10+:1 on 40. Obviously a problem. I had limited time to mess with it but got going again the following weekend. During this whole time, Tom provided suggestions and potential solutions. I reinspected the wire radials and discovered the main one had been direct wired to the ground rod along with the main antenna ground line. My helper on this project is an electrician and from an AC perspective this may have made sense, but from an RF perspective it was on obvious error. Once that was wired directly to the base of the antenna, WALLA! 9:1. After that, it was a matter of shortening or lengthening that radial. As I added length, I got the SWR peak to slide south of 40 and the 27' Vertical became resonant on 40 without any effect on the higher bands. SWR came down to 1.1 to 1.7 across the entire band without a tuner in line. It's even tunable to an SWR under 1.5:1 on 80. Performance is equal to the OCF on all bands, with one or the other being slightly more effective depending on distance and direction of the contact. I can hear and be heard virtually anywhere and have shelved, for now, my plans to put up a directional antenna.

BTW, big storms came through last night, huge wind, hail, you name it. When the Sun came out, I saw the wires still in the air and Vertical still vertical.

Bottom line, I highly, highly recommend this antenna and manufacture. The entire experience has been terrific.

VE3BXB Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2014 08:13 Send this review to a friend
Service is the best of the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I currently own and operate the Zero Five ground plane and have been using it for almost 2 years. It is mounted on a short tower at 25 feet. This antenna has performed very well and the quality of components is excellent.
I recently experienced very high winds the other day and the vertical element came crashing down to the ground. After complete removal of the antenna, I discovered that the base insulator had split in half.
With a phone call to Tom and a series of emails, Tom was there for me every step of the way. He not only repaired the base unit for me free of charge, he also answered all my questions by email concerning and further issues that I had with this antenna. His replies are very fast and right to the point.
Th ground plane is reinstalled and working very well. In conlusion, I wish to say that Zero Five antenna product support is extremely great. You sure cant' get better service than this. Thanks a lot to Tom for such excellent service

K1PJR Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2013 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Very nice workmanship!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my antenna last week and am I impressed. The base is very hefty and it took all of one minute to figure out how to assemble it. The build quality is excellent. I ordered it over the phone and Tom spent anout 10 minutes with me giving me some ideas as to the antenna placement. Real nice guy. I'll probably have it up in few weeks so I'll add more to this post regarding its on air performance.

W9JB Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2013 15:00 Send this review to a friend
Rock of Gibraltar build quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
Performance equally good, too. I have the 10-40 Meter Ground Plane, with "built in" radials/counterpoise. Mounted "sub-optimally" at about 2 feet off the ground in a cluster of pine trees. Fed with about 130 feet of buried high quality coax. Use a Ten Tec AutoTuner (not needed on all bands, however). With about 400 watts (via a Ten Tec Hercules II), I can usually work anything I hear on CW, and most everything on SSB. Durability outstanding. Will operate (via tuner) on 80 meters, but not as effective as my O-C-F on that band or 160 meters. Bottomline: excellent value and durability for the money.

N0DSQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2013 08:01 Send this review to a friend
Works for me  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Built like a tank, something you don't see these days made to last, light enough to install by myself. Assembled in about 30 minutes and even spray painted it an air force camouflage to reduce its visual signature. Using a Palstar tuner gets the job done.

W2PIR Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2013 19:04 Send this review to a friend
So far, so great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Before purchasing, I personally was able to speak to Tom, describe my proposed setup, and get a few helpful pointers on prepping my site for installation. Received the antenna in the morning on the promised day of delivery. Assembly was extremely straightforward with all parts marked and labelled. Took less than an hour to assemble and double-check all connections. I was impressed with the build quality. Using my 897D and a YT-100 tuner, the antenna tuned quickly on 15 meters. By noon, I had made contact with Japan, NJ, and, NC from my Southern California QTH. Being so new to the hobby, I was simply elated with the result!

I've since worked contacts up the west coast, in the Rockies, and Canada. Very, very pleased! I'll try to update this review if I can after more experience, but my experience with it is off to a great start!

W8SFC Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2013 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Fabulous!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very well built, easy to assemble, pleasing to my eyes (and the neighbors), and works so well, I cannot believe it! The most difficult item is to put up a mast. Made mine from 1,25" black iron pipe, 4' in 12" dia. hole with fast setting cement, 8' above ground. Fed it with RG-213 to my Icom 7000 / MFJ-929 and was promptly amazed at how well it performed, especially on 17 & 15 meters. Tom makes wonderful stuff so have NO FEAR. Get one and you'll see! Well done, Tom. 73
Sid Grant W8SFC

N2DY Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2013 10:48 Send this review to a friend
Follow-Up Review It's Rugged  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the antenna for almost two years now. It continues to work great just as when I reviewed it in 2011. I am located on Long Island and I wanted to highlight that this antenna has now been through two hurricanes, Irene and Sandy. It came through both storms unscathed even though I lost large pine, oak and other trees during both storms. The ZeroFive bent over in the strong winds but always went right back to an upright position as the gusts subsided. It is as straight as an arrow today. Hopefully I will not have to test it yet again with a third hurricane this summer! You cannot go wrong with this antenna. It is built incredibly well.

KT9O Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2013 20:36 Send this review to a friend
Most Impressive !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I mounted this antenna at 12 feet on a sturdy mast that is attached to a garden pergola behind the house. It was easier to assemble than I ever imagined! It tuned to resonance on 20 meters without any additional tweaking. I had some trepidation about those 100 inch radials, but they look great and obviously work as designed. Fed with 100 feet of coax, this antenna is ready to go. When the tuner is needed on 40 or 15 meters, my Tokyo Hi-Power handles it with ease. No whacky settings or complaining by the tuner.

It should be noted that this is also a very fine looking antenna. Nothing sags, including those long radials and the 27 foot vertical element is straight as an arrow. The center insulator and matching network is built for very heavy duty use and should survive many years in harsh climates. We'll see how well it does after coping with strong winds. I did not elect to guy it, but may do that in the near future. It's wind survival rating is 90 mph.

Performance has not disappointed so far. Right out of the chute, I added HB, PA, LY, 9A, and RA to the log book using a KWM 380 and about 400 watts from my Ameritron ALS-600. Busting through a few pileups was easy and consistent. This antenna performs quite well on 20 meters. I've used it on 40, 17, and 10 meters with good results. Phone, PSK, WSPR, SSTV, and RTTY are my favorite modes, so this one antenna provides a lot of versatility.

Finally, the price / performance ratio is astounding. For $380 bucks, you get performance and quality that I've not seen in a ham vertical...at any price. The quality of the fit and finish was really unexpected, and pleasantly welcomed. More like a commercial antenna, really. If you want good value and performance in a vertical that has no motors, or other moving parts to give you trouble or traps that might fail, have a close look at the ZeroFive vertical product line.

73 and gud DX

Ted KT9O

W8BCJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2013 18:39 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased in November, 2012, but just installed it today. Our Florida home is in an HOA community, so I needed an antenna that can be put up and taken down quickly. Used with a Force-12 tripod, I can put the antenna up or take down in less than ten minutes.

In the first half hour of operating, running 100 watts, I worked nine countries, including Bulgaria and Serbia on 40 SSB; the other contacts were on 20 SSB. I will be adding a 500 watt amp in the near future, so working DX should be a snap.

Tomorrow I will paint most of the antenna black to add a bit of stealth to it.

I researched a lot of verticals; believe I made the right choice with ZeroFive!