Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS 10 THROUGH 40 METER GROUND PLANE VERTICAL Help

Reviews Summary for ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS 10 THROUGH 40 METER GROUND PLANE VERTICAL
ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS 10 THROUGH 40 METER GROUND PLANE VERTICAL Reviews: 62 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $379.
Description: A 10 though 40 meter multiband vertical ground plane.Has 6 aluminum radials 100 inches long.Vertical element is 21.5 feet tall.This vertical is self resonant across the whole 20 meter band So it can be used as a monoband 20 meter vertical.mounts to a 1 3/4 inch OD pipe and it can be mounted on a 10 foot pipe in the ground.Requires a matching transformer.
More info: http://WWW.ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS.COM

You can write your own review of the ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS 10 THROUGH 40 METER GROUND PLANE VERTICAL.

K0MTN Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2014 11:08 Send this review to a friend
Great! Meets my expecations!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am VERY happy with my ZF-GP1040 as my base station antenna. It works much better than my previous portable vertical and wire antennas that I had tried. Contacts report that my signals are strong and clear.

My ZF-GP1040 is about 14' up on a telescoping mast and fed by 100' of LMR-400. Assembly and installation was a breeze. I use an AT-200ProII tuner and my transceiver is an FT-450D with no external amplifier.

High winds in my area have torn up roofs and knocked down trees, but the ZF-GP1040 has not suffered any damage. Tom was very responsive to my questions about features and installation. Excellent pre-sales support! There is a photo of my install on my QRZ profile.

I wish I had the opportunity to test multiple vertical antennas, run measurements, and give objective results, but that isn't an option for me. I highly recommend the ZF-GP1040 as a solution for limited space requirements.

K1QF Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2014 11:53 Send this review to a friend
Great in every respect  Time owned: more than 12 months
I easily tune this antenna with the internal tuner on my ICOM 7600. With only 100 watts I am able to work most of the DX I can hear. It is exceptionally well made, and although un-guyed it has handled several heavy windstorms without any problems. Mine is mounted on a 3 foot pipe pounded into the ground. Customer service is outstanding and responsive. This antenna is highly recommended if space is limited.

K3KRN Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2014 06:56 Send this review to a friend
works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
great option for a small yard. worked kuwait from maryland the first day i had it up. assembly is also very easy.

AK9S Rating: 4/5 Jul 14, 2014 11:06 Send this review to a friend
Did not work as planned.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I conducted a lot of research to ensure I would select the best antenna option for my location. This included reading the online owners manual for this particular antenna and contacting Tom ahead of time to ensure the antenna would work over my garage.

I was told that I should add four radial wires below the antenna and to attach them to the aluminum gutters, as that would elevate the effective ground to make tuning possible. Also to use at least 100 feet of LMR-400 UF if I planned on using my internal tuner. Great, so I ordered the antenna.

Unfortunately, these instructions did not work. I have SWR exceeding 3:1 on most bands, so my internal tuner in my rig cannot match this antenna except on 40 meters. I tried not attaching the wire radials to the gutters, and same problem.

I grounded the antenna and the SWR went even higher, something that Tom mentioned is typical to this antenna after calling him. So much for planning ahead and attempting a workable solution.

After speaking to Tom again, he indicated that I should use a good automatic external tuner. Well, I just spent $440 on an antenna and will need to spend more money on another tuner now. Not happy.

I would have saved a lot of money and headaches by simply using a wire antenna solution at a fraction of the cost or an R8.

That said, I appreciate the extreme quality of the antenna and tight fabrication tolerances. I know the antenna works well at or just above ground level, but forget about going any higher unless you have a tuner that can handle high SWRs.

WA0VY Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2014 10:43 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Antenna and Experience  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I went back-and-forth before finally deciding to add this antenna to my operation. My first antenna is the Array Solutions 80-10 OCF which is also a wonderful antenna. I sent Tom some pictures of my QTH and he was very helpful in the site selection, warning me away from problems I had not considered.

As everyone else notes, the antenna is a beauty. Solid construction and well designed. Construction and installation are easy. Because of the location selected, Tom also suggested some additional wire radials which, at first, I installed incorrectly. I sent him an SWR graph from an AIM-4170 which looked good for 20 and up but showed an SWR of 10+:1 on 40. Obviously a problem. I had limited time to mess with it but got going again the following weekend. During this whole time, Tom provided suggestions and potential solutions. I reinspected the wire radials and discovered the main one had been direct wired to the ground rod along with the main antenna ground line. My helper on this project is an electrician and from an AC perspective this may have made sense, but from an RF perspective it was on obvious error. Once that was wired directly to the base of the antenna, WALLA! 9:1. After that, it was a matter of shortening or lengthening that radial. As I added length, I got the SWR peak to slide south of 40 and the 27' Vertical became resonant on 40 without any effect on the higher bands. SWR came down to 1.1 to 1.7 across the entire band without a tuner in line. It's even tunable to an SWR under 1.5:1 on 80. Performance is equal to the OCF on all bands, with one or the other being slightly more effective depending on distance and direction of the contact. I can hear and be heard virtually anywhere and have shelved, for now, my plans to put up a directional antenna.

BTW, big storms came through last night, huge wind, hail, you name it. When the Sun came out, I saw the wires still in the air and Vertical still vertical.

Bottom line, I highly, highly recommend this antenna and manufacture. The entire experience has been terrific.

VE3BXB Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2014 08:13 Send this review to a friend
Service is the best of the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I currently own and operate the Zero Five ground plane and have been using it for almost 2 years. It is mounted on a short tower at 25 feet. This antenna has performed very well and the quality of components is excellent.
I recently experienced very high winds the other day and the vertical element came crashing down to the ground. After complete removal of the antenna, I discovered that the base insulator had split in half.
With a phone call to Tom and a series of emails, Tom was there for me every step of the way. He not only repaired the base unit for me free of charge, he also answered all my questions by email concerning and further issues that I had with this antenna. His replies are very fast and right to the point.
Th ground plane is reinstalled and working very well. In conlusion, I wish to say that Zero Five antenna product support is extremely great. You sure cant' get better service than this. Thanks a lot to Tom for such excellent service

K1PJR Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2013 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Very nice workmanship!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my antenna last week and am I impressed. The base is very hefty and it took all of one minute to figure out how to assemble it. The build quality is excellent. I ordered it over the phone and Tom spent anout 10 minutes with me giving me some ideas as to the antenna placement. Real nice guy. I'll probably have it up in few weeks so I'll add more to this post regarding its on air performance.

W9JB Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2013 15:00 Send this review to a friend
Rock of Gibraltar build quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
Performance equally good, too. I have the 10-40 Meter Ground Plane, with "built in" radials/counterpoise. Mounted "sub-optimally" at about 2 feet off the ground in a cluster of pine trees. Fed with about 130 feet of buried high quality coax. Use a Ten Tec AutoTuner (not needed on all bands, however). With about 400 watts (via a Ten Tec Hercules II), I can usually work anything I hear on CW, and most everything on SSB. Durability outstanding. Will operate (via tuner) on 80 meters, but not as effective as my O-C-F on that band or 160 meters. Bottomline: excellent value and durability for the money.

N0DSQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2013 08:01 Send this review to a friend
Works for me  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Built like a tank, something you don't see these days made to last, light enough to install by myself. Assembled in about 30 minutes and even spray painted it an air force camouflage to reduce its visual signature. Using a Palstar tuner gets the job done.

W2PIR Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2013 19:04 Send this review to a friend
So far, so great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Before purchasing, I personally was able to speak to Tom, describe my proposed setup, and get a few helpful pointers on prepping my site for installation. Received the antenna in the morning on the promised day of delivery. Assembly was extremely straightforward with all parts marked and labelled. Took less than an hour to assemble and double-check all connections. I was impressed with the build quality. Using my 897D and a YT-100 tuner, the antenna tuned quickly on 15 meters. By noon, I had made contact with Japan, NJ, and, NC from my Southern California QTH. Being so new to the hobby, I was simply elated with the result!

I've since worked contacts up the west coast, in the Rockies, and Canada. Very, very pleased! I'll try to update this review if I can after more experience, but my experience with it is off to a great start!