Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | MFJ-826B digital SWR/Wattmeter Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-826B digital SWR/Wattmeter
MFJ-826B digital SWR/Wattmeter Reviews: 25 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $$179.95
Description: High-accuracy MFJ Digital SWR/Wattmeter, 1.8-54 MHz, 1500 Watts

MFJ’s high-accuracy digital SWR/Wattmeter/Frequency Counter measures up to 1.5 kW.
You get three high-resolution ranges with accuracy in each range, 1.8 to 54 MHz!

True peak or average forward and reflected Watts, SWR and frequency can be simultaneously displayed.

You can also select auto-ranging bargraph modes to display forward and reflected power or forward power and SWR twin bargraphs or SWR only bargraph.
Frequency, SWR and forward power are also displayed numerically.

PeakHoldTM feature freezes the highest forward power displayed bar segment for
one second.

These digital-analog displays make it visually easy to tune antenna tuners, amplifiers and transmitters.

You get three high-resolution forward/reflected power ranges that are automatically selected: a true QRP range (25 Watt full scale), a midrange
(250 Watt full scale) and a highrange (1500 Watts full scale). Each
range has excellent resolution.

MFJ’s TrueActiveTM peak reading circuit gives you true peak or average power on all modes.

Built-in frequency counter gives any transmitter digital frequency readout in
continuous carrier mode. Perfect for older and QRP rigs such as MFJ-9420 travel
radios and MFJ-9340 QRPCubsTM kits and wired transceivers.

All information is displayed on a big 2-line, 16-character, high-contrast backlit LCD display.

Use 12 VDC or 110 VAC with optional MFJ-1312D, 61/2Wx25/8Hx6D in.
High-accuracy MFJ Digital SWR/Wattmeter, 1.8-54 MHz, 1500 Watts
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-826B

You can write your own review of the MFJ-826B digital SWR/Wattmeter.

W4JBA Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2015 21:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased mine new and it arrived all in one piece, and with NO rattles! It compares well to my Bird and Struthers watt meters. All three track very closely to each other between 0 and 1400 watts. I am surprised at how accurate the MFJ is, and the Freq counter is spot on also. Hey, lucky me, I got a good one!!!
This one is hard to beat for the price.

AK6ZZ Rating: 1/5 Jan 28, 2015 10:53 Send this review to a friend
Major Issues at QRO levels  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been stung once again with a lousy MFJ customer experience. This time I was using the MFJ digital meter with a AL811HD. It worked fine with the amp and two different antennas on 10m (homebrew rotatable dipole) and 80m (with G7FEK) but on other bands and known good antennas showed >100:1 SWR at QRO levels. I took amp offline and everything was peachy. So I suspected an issue with feedlines so I replaced the feedlines. That didn't fix the issue. Next step was to examine the antennas to see if there were issues. No issues. Then decided to take meter offline from a suggestion on QRZ forum and LP and behold everything was fine. Antennas, check. Feedline, check. Meter bad. Ok chalk this up to experience similar to my issues with the MFJ259B and my MFJ RC4. Why do I keep buying stuff from this company? Now I will stay clear going forward. I would not recommend this meter to anyone.

G0FVT Rating: 4/5 Dec 7, 2014 04:00 Send this review to a friend
great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I only recently bought one of these, I already have 6 or 7 Bird 43 type meters including ones with peak-reading boards.
Like many other reviewers examples my one arrived from the US with the display board detached due to screws dropping out. No other damage occurred in shipping, the housing looks a bit cheap but the circuit boards look good quality.
Accuracy seems fine, and consistent across the HF bands.
A previous poster claimed the meter was grossly over reading due to measuring 140w from a 100w rig, seems a very random conclusion, most rigs will exceed their nominal power output due to various overshoot or alignment issues.
One way I seem to be able to provoke a "high" reading from my rig is to clap my hands near the microphone, I suspect that the transient is too fast for the rigs alc to cope with.
Normal speech reads realistic levels of peak power and I believe the MFJ is doing a good job. I have not yet tried any comparisons to the Bird meters.
Overall I am very pleased so far, the manufacturers seem to have managed to make a good product at an affordable price.

G3YVY Rating: 3/5 Sep 25, 2014 05:59 Send this review to a friend
Not impressed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Arrived today and bought new from a main UK dealer, but it looks secondhand. The paintwork is poor. Dried glue on the edge of the display cutout. The top cover has the aluminium showing through. The front panel paintwork is marked.
It seems MFJ's lack of quality control still persists.
Here in the UK we pay about 2/3rds more than the US price, so its not really good value for money.
On first try out it seems to work OK but I suspect the power readings are not all that accurate as they seem very generous and yet it is described as a high accuracy meter.
Pity it looks so shabby and home made.

VA3AQB Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2014 07:04 Send this review to a friend
Good little meter  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I thought this was a great little meter for the price, picked up used for less than $100 canadian.
I could not get use to tuning my amplifier with the digital scale found it hard. I always used the analog meter on my tuner.
I was a Dayton year I picked up the MFJ-828 same as the 826B but has a analog meter and a amp key with a cut off the amp if SWR is too high in regards to your preset
If you are buying new spend the extra $40 and get the MFJ-828.
I found the 826B power read a little high compared to my other meters but sure this can be easily calibrated.

AB2IR Rating: 4/5 May 30, 2014 05:37 Send this review to a friend
Nice for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
Quick swr readout, seems to match my tuner readings. Tried the calibration and did not work, but operates fine for me. Other option is 2x + the price. I do like the readout display, adjustable alarm level is a plus. Would buy again.

W9BHI Rating: 0/5 Feb 18, 2014 13:12 Send this review to a friend
WORTHLESS!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Even after running the cal routine in the owners manual this thing was off by 200 watts when looking at 1KW into a 50 ohm dummy load.
I had it in series with my Array Solutions Power Master and it was WAY off on power and SWR readings.
I unloaded mine on Ebay at a loss.
More Mighty Fine Junk.
Save your money for something better.

W9BB Rating: 4/5 Dec 21, 2013 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Good Meter   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not sure what happened to my review, but here it is again. Obtained my second hand. Works well, power isn't the most accurate read out, but within a ball park. SWR is about within spec. It's not a BIRD meter, but then again, it isn't $400-500 either.
Pretty functional and easy to use.

W9BB Rating: 4/5 Dec 20, 2013 17:31 Send this review to a friend
Nice Meter Overall  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought my 826B used and work fairly well, no issues. SWR and frequency read out on par, within tolerance. Power meter seems to run high but don't really use it for that. Overall, can't complain.

K5CJL Rating: 2/5 Dec 14, 2013 08:44 Send this review to a friend
Watt Meter Inaccurate  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Good price from Universal Radio $135.00. Everything looked good initially on first use, watt meter read 103w, SWR was good. Next day watt meter read 130w from my IC-756ProII. Ran test mode and got "Peak Failure". Disconnected unit and connected my MFJ-868 which always worked well. The 868 read 102w. Tried the 826B later and peak failure was gone but watt meter read 120w. Obviously something wrong. Will return for replacement and try another.