Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | MFJ-422 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-422
MFJ-422 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $179.00
Description: Electronic Keyer Paddle
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-422D

You can write your own review of the MFJ-422.

AC6BW Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2015 18:51 Send this review to a friend
Working well for 26 years!  Time owned: more than 12 months
What can I say. This is just a great keyer/paddle combo. It has been my CW workhorse for 26 years! I haven't had any problems with it.

The Bencher paddle and MFJ keyer work very nicely together. Everything works as advertised. I can send great CW with it. It is not tiring to use for long periods, such as contests.

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2015 21:14 Send this review to a friend
Works well for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm using it in combo with a set of MFJ paddles. Had it for several years now without any problems. This is the keyer that I run with my larger desktop QRP rigs, i.e. Argonaut 509 and HW-8. (For the smaller rigs i.e. SW40 I have an MFJ portable keyer that works very well). I tend to prefer using these rigs as daily drivers and like having an easily accessible speed control at hand for adjusting on the fly. Granted it's nothing special, but does what MFJ said it would do. Easy to set up, simple and effective.

W9WZJ Rating: 4/5 Mar 19, 2013 20:23 Send this review to a friend
Nice piece  Time owned: more than 12 months
Found mine on Craigslist for $50 - shipped! Use it on my old FT-101 - really like it. 9V batteries are getting pricey, so I found a 9 volt walwart and hardwired it. No fun for practicing as it never leaves the bench now.
Fully adjustable and works like it should.

KG9H Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2012 11:26 Send this review to a friend
Can't beat it for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
For the money you cannot beat it. I have several of these with the Bencher paddle and with the MFJ. I do like the Bencher paddle a little better but.. the MFJ also works well. I have used this combo on many many radios except for Alinco DX-70 series. Who knows what Alinco need to key them hi hi.

AD9DX Rating: 2/5 Mar 8, 2012 17:49 Send this review to a friend
Bencher Quality MFJ Execution  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this combo at a hamfest last year. Mostly because I wanted the Bencher underneath. The speaker quality in the keyer is abysmal and the speed does not go fast enough to keep up with the DX I like to work. Save your money and get the Bencher and a separate keyer.

WM4YD Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2012 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Good tol!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this keyer/paddle combo back in 1990 at my very first hamfest, and it is still working strong.

I use it for all my CW contacts. I can't remember what I paid for it, but I have definitely got my money's worth out of it.

KA9HJZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2009 07:16 Send this review to a friend
for the price this is an excellent key  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sold my last bencher and picked up this paddle set up at an auction. found that Bencher is as good a key as you would need and the mfj sets the speed and is is a handy training aid. i'm a collector of sorts and have the complete set of brown brothers paddles a hamkey paddle which is a good key and 2 vibroplex bugs and a mess of straight keys but i seem to go back to the bencher and my j45 straight leg key.sure you can buy a 400 dollar paddle with gold trim but i still think it might not be much better.someday i would like to try an expensive key just to see if i'm right.

WD5CCW Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2008 22:08 Send this review to a friend
Smooth keyer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this keyer for several years and it continues to be a proven performer. The picture shows the 422, but the MFJ website closest match is the 422d, the only difference is where the Manual/Auto button lies and the size of the knobs, which on the 422 are located on the side. (I keep it on the Auto position for better code recognition...hides my mistakes)

Since I have 2 different radios (Icom and Drake) I've had to make 2 different wires for this keyer to work, but the Bencher BY-1 underneath a Curtis Keyer is a great combination for beginner or advanced cw keyers.