Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Sangean ATS909 Help

Reviews Summary for Sangean ATS909
Sangean ATS909 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $299.00
Description: Portable AM/FM general coverage receiver
More info: http://www.dxradio.co.uk/sangean/ats909.html

You can write your own review of the Sangean ATS909.

WA1UFO Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2012 22:53 Send this review to a friend
I love mine!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I live in NH and love this radio! My Sony 2010 is better for AM but the Sangean kicks the crap out of the Sony for FM and SSB! I have used my 909 with the ECSS method on AM and it works beautifully. With a good pair of stereo cans, the audio is really nice. I have been SWLing since the age of 7 and am 62 now and have owned so many SW portables I lost count. This radio works great with a wire aerial because of my location. In Europe use the whip only!

KD7RDZ Rating: 0/5 Dec 20, 2002 14:27 Send this review to a friend
no frontend  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been owning a ATS909 commercialized by Siemens for about 5 years.

I have to say, that it has a great audio, a good speaker, a good FM and a lots of goodies.

However, in my view, two things are really annoying:
1) in Europe it overloads even with the roll wire antenna indoor. If I use a external passive wideband antenna for HF like a MTA by RF Systems or a 20 meters folded dipole put in clear this radio is able to overload even with 40 db of attenuation.

2) it is not clear to me whether the external antenna input is a high impendace one like 600 ohms or a 50 ohms one. That's make a lot of difference and you may select a wrong external antenna simply because does not match!

KL7KN Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2002 02:04 Send this review to a friend
Super portable  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had my ATS909 for over two years and it is sitting by the PC now. Super AM/FM radio. For an SWL, this will be the last portable you'll ever purchase. Very sensitive, exteranl antenna, SSB with tuning in 40 Hz steps, stable enough to use as part of your station. I have worked 40M QRP with this as RX and a Ramsey 1 watt TX - not the best setup, but works.
I travel in rural Alaska, and this is my rig of choice if weight is not a factor. You haven't lived untill you have a choice between 4 hours of Native drum music on PBS or a CATV feed - HCJB or the BEEB beats 'em both!
I also use an IC-R2, which is a super RX, the -909 is easy to tune (enter via buttons) and sounds great.
I have had several different portables for SWL, this is the best I have worked with (for size and price) Sangean makes a 505 and 404, stripped down versions of the -909 and I guess will work as well.
For under 300USd, 110/220 VAC adapter and roll up antenna, quite the portable.