Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-2000 (PEP-2000 enhanced version). AKA Mark 2 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-2000 (PEP-2000 enhanced version). AKA Mark 2
Yaesu FT-2000 (PEP-2000 enhanced version). AKA Mark 2 Reviews: 92 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3,000
Description: On the 1st of January 2009, Yaesu released a major update to the firmware
and DSP for the FT-2000 series of radios. It is based on the update to the
FTdx9000 series of radios and reviews of this revision of the FT-2000 PEP
enhanced version should be posted here.
More info: http://yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=66EA91711DFB68C03DED4AD35153E12C&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-2000 (PEP-2000 enhanced version). AKA Mark 2.

N3YV Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2013 09:03 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST !!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had many very good radios in the pass years from the TS-590 TS-870 FT-950 IC-756III
IC-7600 and they're all very good but I like ESSB and the FT-2000 can play there very well in the realm with everything I need to make sound like a million bucks and I was lucky to get one loaded with the AC0Cand Inrad filters and OMG what a beauty to listen too, also everything about it is just sweet and not too much menu to mess around with, super elegant in the shack,,,to me is the 007 of the radios with a license to kill !!!

KE4EX Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2013 08:18 Send this review to a friend
6 years over 15000 contacts  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes, over 6 years and still going strong.
Now the truth be known I first had issues.
Software updates fixed most of those.
When you become one with the 149 menu settings all gets better. Hint, RTM RTM RTM
I dearly love my ft 2000 cursed it a couple times but all is well. I am not a chicken runner, (one that runs to get the newest rig out)
Put it this way, #4# $4$ can-not be beat FT2K.
I work SSB-CW-RTTY-PSK I get great audio feedback
Thanks for dropping by.
God bless our troops

M0VPL Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2013 02:48 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Ft-2000D has been in my shack for only a few months, and having used it constantly in that time i can say iam very pleased with its performance, yes there is a lot to learn but having found Master commander by IW1AWH the learning curve has been made so much easier. this is a fantastic piece of software which is free! and a great way to get to know your FT-2000 and what it can do.

Perhaps people buy this radio and expect it to deliver with all the knobs set to middle and menu's set at default! but learn to drive this radio and it will surprise you. with the master commander software the learning curve is made so much easier and you can get the audio you want with on screen display and adjustment of the EQ settings. as for RX its the same way, see on the screen what your filters are doing, more importantly hear the difference.

So far iam more than pleased with the FT-2000D the above software makes it a pleasure to use. and a keeper for me!

WA7RBC Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2013 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Fine Transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my FT-2000 for about two years, and use the radio nearly every day for casual CW contacts. It is a stock radio with no aftermarket filters.

It is true that the 3 kHz roofing filter in the radio is no better than the 6 kHz filter, and this is the receiverís main, and perhaps only, shortcoming. I wouldnít have noticed, if not for the complaints Iíve heard from others. Most of the time, unless a VERY close station is S9+, the receiverís DSP will take care of what the roofing filter does not. If you canít live with this shortcoming, better look for another rig.

On the other hand, thereís a lot to like about the FT-2000. Itís a relatively easy radio to use with a transmitter (and ATU) thatís quite good. I like the display and find that everything I want to know is there-- without a lot of other stuff cluttering up the view. The build quality is excellent. Having a second receiver seemed like a luxury at first, now itís a ďmust haveĒ. The radio has about every feature that I could possibly want, right down to the analog meter on the front.

KI5SO Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2012 17:48 Send this review to a friend
Updated information Wow!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I commented that the roofing filters weren't much good on this radio, well, I take that back. They should be used in conjunction with the vrf--variable roofing filter--engaged and turn the knob left or right to really quieten things down. The 3 khz filter works. I think the filters are actually not engaged until you engage the VRF button. There are so many helpful sites and comments all over the web about this radio, perhap more than any other radio I've researched. I love this radio. It has great audio and the receiver is top notch. I really wonder, how much better can it get? All I can say is, don't knock it until you have read the manual, understand each function and really tried it. All I can say is wow! The dxft 3000 has nothing on this rig. Find a picture of the 2000 in turned on and in color and see what a beauty it is!

N3RO Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2012 08:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent rig after learning curve  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased my new FT-2000D from HRO back in August of 2011. I must say that although you can "plug-in and play" with this radio, there is much to be learned before it is setup the way that is best for each operator. The parametric equalizer was somewhat perplexing to me at first, but after researching how to use this type of equalizer on the internet ( Google ) I was able to adjust all 9 settings of the PE such that I now receive constant "outstanding" audio reports. I also found that the receiver jumped to life when I changed the "contour" menu setting from the default setting ( -10db ) to +12db. Instead of enabling a preamp when receiver audio is low, I enable contour and get a 12db increase in the audio - it is amazing - the difference! And with contour engaged you can bring up the lows ( or highs ) and get a really nice broadcast quality sound coming from the speaker. I run the 2000D at 170 watts SSB most of the time on 40 meters with an occasional use of a 600 to 700 watt amp and have never had any issues with pre-amp burnout or any other RF issues. I find the dual-receiver wonderful since the main receiver is digital and the secondary one is analog. When copy is rough on the main receiver, I check the secondary receiver and sometimes the analog receiver is actually hearing the signal better than the main digital. Most of the time, the main digital with all of its various notch filters and settings works just fine. I use the SP-2000 speaker and the MD-100 desk mike and have no complaints about the sound of the audio, and as mentioned earlier, receive constant reports of really outstanding audio when I transmit. I've worked many other hams using the FT-2000 and FT-2000D over the past 6 months and NONE of them have had any issues with burned out preamps. One loved his FT-2000 so much he bought 2 more and has 3 of them! You can see a picture of my FT-2000D station on QRZ.com (N3RO). It was my only "base station" upgrade since I purchased the entire lineup of Kenwood's famous TS-820s equipment line, which I have used since 1976 and still looks and works as perfectly as it did when I first took it out of the box in 1976. I fully expect that my FT-2000D will also "go the distance". I can also add that Yaesu came out with a CPU upgrade since I've had the FT-2000D and with the connecting cable I found the whole experience of upgrading my rig to the latest version easily accomplished. It took less than 10 minutes to hook the connecting cable between my FT-2000D and my PC. The download took only a few minutes with a "wizzard" walking me though the upgrade steps. In conclusion, using an LDG 600pro autotuner, I have worked all bands, from 160 through 6 meters with the FT-2000D, and find this transceiver to be a wonderful addition to my shack. I might also add that I only use one HF antenna. When I am using the Kenwood TS-820s or my ICOM 706mark2G I utilize a 3 position DIAWA antenna switch that puts the longwire antenna on only one rig at a time. When I turn off the FT-2000D I always switch the antenna on the FT-2000D to antenna 2 ( which has no antenna of any kind attached - antenna 1 = the longwire ).

KC2OYZ Rating: 4/5 Jan 29, 2012 15:39 Send this review to a friend
Learning Curve... BUT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not too long ago I upgraded from an FT-950, which I loved, to the FT-2KD. For the first couple of weeks, I was not a happy camper - had problems with the RX - low AF out, very noisy, etc. Also found that there was just too much radio compared to what I was used to - to many things to play with and adjust.

After hanging out on the Yahoo user group for a while I learned how to the set the menus so that the AF output is fine, and I've learned how to drive the rig - what to pay attention to, what to adjust.

Now, after a month or so and a lot of very good signal (I run 200 watts with compression cranked up - meter often shows 225 or 230w on peaks) and unsolicited great audio reports, and working just about everything I can hear (except for mile high pileups which I don't bother with) I'm starting to love this radio.

I use it with and MD-100 and a manual tuner (Dentron Super Tuner) - the ATU is generally useless for my antennas - strange wire configurations.

There IS a learning curve if you're coming from most other radios and I still find the RX noisy and harsh on the ears. This has been mitigated by shelling out $200 for an SP-2000 - I run from the external speaker jack out to the speaker and plug my good Sony audiophile phones into the post filtering headphone jack on the SP-2000 - the filters on the SP-2000 combined with judicious use of the the rig's DSP make things pretty OK.

The radio does feature dual-stereo output mixing VFO A and B, but I haven't seen much benefit from it since I work phone and it's touted mostly for CW and of course the external speaker jack and the SP-2000 are MONO (just another example of Yaesu's weird way of doing things...). With bandstacking, memory mode and QMP I really don't use VFO B at all. So don't buy it for stereo if you're a phone operator.

Overall I'm glad I bought this radio and stuck it out with it - looks great, works great, and it's big and well made, IMO a worthy successor to the FT-1000 line. The small companion PSU for the 2000D is also a plus for me - very limited space - sure beats having a 50 lb Astron under the desk. I know the FT-DX5000 is supposed to be the gold standard now, but that's a LOT of $ for a radio.

As mostly a weekend DX chaser and casual contester, the FT2000D is a winner for me - I don't plan on looking for a new radio any time soon.

EI4HQ Rating: 4/5 Oct 25, 2011 20:53 Send this review to a friend
Following mods, a keeper  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this rig since well before the PEP updates arrived. They certainly made a big difference and convinced me to keep the rig at a time when I was beginning to have doubts. Why? Three hardware faults that for me relegated this radio to an "also ran" position: 1. The bad 3KHz roofing filter, 2. a high frequency hiss on the receive audio and 3. the weak RF front end protection. The last of these was easily solved thanks to OK1RR's front end protector. In relation to the roofing filter, like so many others I waited in the wings while technically much more competent folks than me figured out how to fix a bad design flaw. I recently installed the resulting NS filter by Jeff Baline AC0C (see my review here: http://www.eham.net/reviews/review/104407) and it has turned this rig from an ugly duckling into a beautiful swan. It is now a definite keeper. It is a different radio. The NS roofing filter mod puts manners on this rig and turns it into a serious contest/DX machine. I still have the audio hiss but the confidence the NS filter mod has given me (and the fact that I managed to do it myself) means I'm going to look seriously at whether I can figure out a mod to deal with the hiss as well. Barring the 3 faults outlined above, this is a wonderful radio with the best ergonomics of any rig I know. If you own one, get a front end protector - it'll give you great peace of mind - spend the $230 to get the NS filter mod, you won't regret it. Then, sit back and enjoy a truly great rig. If you are one of a small number of unlucky owners to have the audio hiss then there are various means to mitigate it - careful selection of headphones that naturally attenuate the higher frequencies, the SP2000 speaker, outboard audio filters etc. I hope to acquire a permanent fix...

F4FXH Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2011 11:22 Send this review to a friend
Very satisfied  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 2 years of usage of the FT-2000, I am very satisfied with this transceiver.
I like the ergonomics: all tunables are directly accessible with the knob.
All the tunables through the menus are very interesting to make some tests to increase the characteristics.
The parametic equalizer gives you an opportunity to increase the quality of the signal. After a good tuning with my Heil ProSet Plus, I received a lot of "strong signal" in the reports (only 100W with a small antenna and 60m of coaxial).
The firmware updates are easy, easier withthe CT-119 programming cable (can be used with a USB-Serial adapter).
I am a member of a radio club. The other OMs ask me to bring this rig at the club shack to use it for the contests.
If you hesitate between the FT-2000 and the FT-2000D, I suggest you to choose the D version (200W).
The sub receiver (VFO-B) is very interesting but it works only and the same band as the primary receiver (VFO-A).
You can find a lot of sites and software dedicated to the FT-2000(D).

G0ORC Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2011 12:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent - no problems  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Upgraded my FT-1000MP Mk V to a FT-2000 a few months ago and and totally sold on the FT-2000. I have always preferred the sound of analogue filtering and I never thought that I would get on with DSP but I was wrong and love the adaptability of the filtering.

I'm was a little concerned when I read stories about blown pre-amps but that one appears to be on early batch radios - mine is a 2009 version and I've had no problems at all

It is an excellent radio for a quite remarkable price.