Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Radio Shack PRO-106 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack PRO-106
Radio Shack PRO-106 Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $499.99
Description: 39,000-Channel Digital Handheld Scanner
More info: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3348287

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack PRO-106.

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2013 15:00 Send this review to a friend
Gets the job done  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this a year ago, on sale, when our county went to the new trunking system, ARMER, here in MN. Like most I tried the software that came with the radio but had serious problems downloading freqs to the radio. Went online and found one I liked, linked it to my RadioReference account and, heck, that was easy! Seems reasonably sensitive. I bought an external power supply at RS and use it all the time but have batteries for when the power goes out. Miss the old days when I had to custom order crystals for my first scanner but if you want something that "just works" this is the ticket.

KY9P Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2011 16:38 Send this review to a friend
A definite WINNER!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought it on sale for $100 off and used the savings to buy the progamming cable (50% off) and an Ac power supply. Found the free trial soft-wares (3) cumbersome to use, so went the manual route (not difficult at all though a little time consuming). Use it mainly for a new P25 digital system and it performs super....great sensitivity. Love the colored LED display (solid or flashing) which I setup by services....Red for fire, Blue for police, Green for sheriff, etc. Have used a lot of RS scanners and this is the best! Only con is that the battery life is not great.

K5XS Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2011 08:51 Send this review to a friend
Great! Better than 396T  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had both the Uniden BCD-396T and the PRO-106. The 106 is hotter, faster, and more user friendly. If you buy the optional USB programming cable and get good programming software (I use ARC-500 PRO), it is a breeze to program.

As someone else noted, the plastic case is cheap, but that is truly the only criticism I have.

W1MLK Rating: 4/5 Jun 8, 2011 15:04 Send this review to a friend
Good scanner but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Pro 106 is a good scanner no doubt. Lots of tweaks just like programming a regular Motorola radio except that GRE/Radio Shack was asked by a government agency (Radio Shack/GRE will not say which one) to limit this scanner's range, and they did! The old range of this scanner was 764-805 and now it is 764-796 which limits from scanning the national 700MHz tactical frequencys and a lot more. Older Pro 106s can scan these bands but newer ones cannot. I give Radio Shack a huge thumbs down for doing this and will never purchase another labeled RS scanner ever.

N2MWE Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2011 09:48 Send this review to a friend
Bulky but worth it  Time owned: more than 12 months
A little bulky, as a full size scanner, but like it's desktop brother decodes P25 quite well. I have yet to experience bad intermod problems on VHF with any of my RS Pro radios like some posters have reported. I would think it the cross mod is that bad, utilize the attenuator. All in all, a fine addition from GRE.

N8GXZ Rating: 4/5 Dec 22, 2010 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Great for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Super hot receive. picks up 800Mhz signals on a 460 Mhz rubber duck antenna better than my 996T with a discone outside. Programming with win 500 was a bit tricky at first but ended up being easy. Case is not very rugged plastic is not heavy duty ,seems thin you dont want to drop this radio. I give it a 4 / 5 because the case in kind of cheap but the electronics seem really good so far

W2TXB Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2010 23:41 Send this review to a friend
Sensitive, with a lot of features  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought one last week and, after spending considerable time learning how the programming functions operate, it is working well. The receiver is quite sensitive, and there are more than enough memories to get the job done. I asked questions on RadioReference about how to program this radio, and one member actually took one of my files and re-worked it to run more efficiently. There are some serious scanner geeks over there, and I appreciate every one of them. There are also some other web sites which better explain the operation and setup of this fine receiver.

At $250.00 on sale, it is a great buy.

K9CRT Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2010 07:09 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After owning a GRECOM PS600(see my review on Eham on that unit) desktop scanner for over a year now (Grecom makes this RS scanner) I bought one of these units for $299 on the black Friday Sale. A few of the questions I ask the RS sales personal they couldn't answer. One of my questions was if my computer programming cable & software (Win500) for my Grecom PS600 would work on this unit. I am happy to say yes to both of the questions.

Like a couple of other reviews have mentioned you don't get a power supply (wall wart) or programming cable & programming software but are costly options after paying the high price for this unit. One thing I was happy to see is a PRINTED owners manual instead of a disk like the parent company GRE. I was very critical of the GRE PS600 in my review because of the lack of a printed manual on a scanner that cost over $500.

Again I was not disappointed in the digital audio of this scanner it is very good & lots of it. Since my review of the PS600 I have had the chance to listen to the Bearcat digital scanners and I like these GRE & RS scanners much better. My local Radio Shack store here in Decatur, IL offered to program my unit free of charge and the store manager was very helpful. Even though I had the software & cable I let them do so just too see what they loaded up. I found that free load very good and only took a few sec to do. I would also recommend this local RS Store.

One last point this Radio Shack store almost demands you buy an additional extended warranty for $40. They paint this bleak picture about how you are going to take this scanner home and lock it up and IF you buy this warranty they will take care of it and send it in for repairs. This is total BS. I stood in this store and watched them sell a couple of scanners to people and sell them this costly warranty with this pitch. You don't need it........ just say NO THANKS.

W9SFA Rating: 4/5 Oct 13, 2009 21:51 Send this review to a friend
Great radio, few drawbacks.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the PRO-106 (Radio Shack's version of GRE's PSR-500) for about a year now, and it gets a lot of use monitoring the Illinois Starcom21 digital statewide system. It is by far the best scanner I have ever owned, it put my 396t to such shame that I sold it on eBay.

The receive audio, receive sensitivity and features of the pro-106 allows it to leave the Uniden 396t in its dust. I program my 106 using Don Starr's WIN500 programmer in conjunction with the radioreference.com data import feature. The software makes programming quick and simple - even when programming large systems like the entire State of Illinois Starcom21 System with nearly 1000 talkgroups.

The biggest drawback is the unit's case, it is certainly not a rugged build. If you plan on carrying it on your belt expect it to look beat to hell in a short period of time. Come on Radio Shack... at least make a textured case that doesn't amplify every swirl and scratch. I used my 396t on my belt for 6 months and it still looked new; the 106 showed signs of wear after a week.

The pro-106 retails at $499, although I came across mine during last year's pre-Christmas sale for $199. For $499 one would think they could include a programming cable and rechargeable battery (like the Uniden 396t) but the cable must be purchased separately for about $35 and you have your choice of 4xAA rechargeables.

The pro-106 would earn a 5 rating had it come with the cable, been more rugged and had a reasonable regular price. I think the $500 price is a complete ripoff, but if you come across a sale price under $300, it's a good deal to jump at.

W4AIJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2009 12:57 Send this review to a friend
PRO-106 ADDENDUM TO ABOVE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Upon further review ( Calling the company ) of the competitor, they had Failed to PROGRAM the radio . Only installed updated Firmware. no wonder it did not trunk correctly . Very apologetic and radio was returned for proper programming. Bought a PRO-197 while they're still on sale, as my thought was ... What am I going to listen to while the Handhelds are Charging ? The NIMH Battery take over 12 hours to charge usually.