Reviews Categories | Books/Manuals/Videos/Pod-WebCasts on ham radio | The World of Ham Radio, 1901 - 1950 Help

Reviews Summary for The World of Ham Radio, 1901 - 1950
The World of Ham Radio, 1901 - 1950 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$44.00
Description: A Social History of Amateur Radio during the hobbies formative years. Written by
Richard A. Bartlett - a fellow who grew up alongside his brother, Forrest "Bart"
Bartlett, W6OWP (SK), and who has witnessed ham radio first hand.
More info: http://www.amazon.com/World-Ham-Radio-1901-1950-History/dp/0786429666/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231431407&sr=8-1

You can write your own review of the The World of Ham Radio, 1901 - 1950.

W5GW Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2011 18:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Book  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was intrigued by this book since on the cover was my high school industrial arts teacher, Mr. Marshall Ensor and his sister Loretta. I knew them both as did almost any youngster who grew up in Olathe, Kansas between 1920 to the 60s. Mr. Ensor administered my Novice exam when I was age 13, but he refused to administer the Technician class as he didn't think it was a proper avenue for me to pursue. I grew up in the amateur radio fraternity beginning in 1955 studying and learning from some of these pioneers.
The book is self described as a social history. I'm not sure I understand what a social history is, but the book seems to capture the culture of the amateur radio environment as I knew it in the 1950s. If I have any complaints about the book is much of the personality and day-to-day events in amateur radio are subordinated by the overarching world events. It is unfair to criticize this to a great degree since the two world wars, advances in technology, and the pull of business and politics certainly shaped the way in which amateur radio evolved. Now how about a book from 1950 to 2000?

WU1E Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2010 16:09 Send this review to a friend
Very enlightening and entertaining  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a serious book, along the lines of a college history text, probably because it is. Pricey by ham book standards, but worth it. This will be one of the finest books in your ham radio library.

It opened my eyes to how things got started with wireless. We all know about spark gap, but do you know how they received those signals ? I didn't. Just one of the many things I learned. Don't get me wrong, this book is not hardcore technical, but things are explained in a conversational manner in way that someone not into electronics could understand. I also really enjoyed how it lays out the evolution of wireless communications in parallel to other world events. Gives you a real sense of where wireless stood during the evolution of industry, automobiles, wars, aviation, world exploration etc etc.

Really hits home as to how hard our forefathers had to work to preserve our rights and the fascinating services they provided in both good times and bad, all while helping to pioneer and improve wireless communications.

A must read !!

KY6R Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2009 08:22 Send this review to a friend
Very Entertaining  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A very well written tribute to amateur radio, written by someone who really understands the nuances and "psyche" of those involved in the hobby. Very well researched - with many exciting stories and annecdotes.

This is a Social History, and IMO much better than the Haring attempt at such a social history, and more along the lines of "Hello World" - but with a richer history, and reads like a very fact based history book.

I couldn't put it down.