Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Viewstar PT2500A Help

Reviews Summary for Viewstar PT2500A
Viewstar PT2500A Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 160-10 meters with two 3-500Z Tubes
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Viewstar PT2500A.

N5OU Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2013 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Wow!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think there is probably a need to differentiate models as I certainly have not seen or experienced any of the negatives listed below. I have the B&W PT-2500A and love it. If you remove the cover of this amp, you see brick on key quality everywhere. Having scratch built many amps in the past; I am impressed and somewhat intrigued by the durability built into this amp. Ratings of individual components easily surpass 2500 watt input and I would rate the band switch easily at 3KW. From built in adjustable grid protection to the multi blower assembly, this amp was built to last. Not sure when the changeover occurred, but if you can get your hands on a B&W; I WOULD.
73's Richard N5OU

ZL1DD Rating: 4/5 Sep 27, 2007 20:00 Send this review to a friend
Great with a little work  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine second hand 1996, still running original Eimac tubes after heavy work!Build quality good. It has Pi-L,tuning more critical than pi, but wider matching range.Tune up on 50ohm dummy load, log settings. That way no band switch arc on 15. Think it clean, little problem TVI. Plate coupling cap failed, replaced with heavier unit. Electros died (age!)replaced with custom stack with more C. Added soft start and better ventilation on top of box. Yes, changeover relay weak. Easy to upgrade.Input SWR poor on 10, often case, may respond to input cable length,quite tolerable by me. Like the slow motion dials. I glued on cursors, glued cardboard to panel to give index settings for each band. Crude but effective. May build external HT supply for better regulation and more output if rf parts can cope. Very good desk top amp.

K5MDM Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2005 07:25 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST 3-500 Amp Ive had  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had two of them, maybe they were updated some, but they are fantastic to me. No troubles, with it. Admittedly the one I have now has new caps and vaccum relays installed, and I dont know what else was done, but Id take another at the right price any time....First review by the N6 station is typical of the difficulty of letting people write reviews and printing them, its way outa line compared to others I know who have these amps...Maybe Ive been lucky, with the ones Ive found,or maybe others have been unlucky..I love mine, I will try to find out what all was upgraded.

VE3QAC Rating: 0/5 Feb 24, 2004 00:29 Send this review to a friend
Canadian made junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
Even the owner of this defunked company doesn't own one. If you see one stay clear, and if you find one save yourself the trouble and dispose of it immediately!

N7WX Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2001 17:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp B and W one  Time owned: months
Bought a B and W PT-2500A and have had no problems with it..Only thing we did was put two new 3-500ZG's in it, and it puts out full legtal limit on all bands...No arc's or anything. We like the metering with big meters and with it in high power setting just easy legal limit output..This is a back up amp and it works "very well"

N6TR Rating: 3/5 Sep 9, 1999 18:26 Send this review to a friend
A great fixer upper!  Time owned: unknown months
I bought my PT2500A new in 1985. The PT2000A is the same - but with only one 3-500Z. I was attracted to this amp because it covered 160 meters and had 4000 volts on the plates of the tubes.

This amplifier had a large number of problems. I have had three contest efforts ruined because of failures with the amplifer. There are a number of weak components and design mistakes that contributed to failures. I can provide more details to anyone considering one of these. B&W bought the design - but I am not sure any real improvements were made. Here is a short list of the issues:

1. On 15 meters, unterminated high voltage RF is on the band switch wiper - which broke down the insulation to the metal shaft.

2. 160 meter shunt capacitor for LOAD cap has poor temperatur coefficient and drifts significantly.

3. Ferrite for 80 and 160 meter tank coil broke down. I replaced it with air coil.

4. The screw on top of the RF plate choke is too long and on 15 meters, I had an arc between the screw and the winding of the choke.

5. The plate transformmer shorted from primary to secondardy. I replaced it with an external Peter Dahl transformmer.

If you can get one of these for a small price and don't mind doing some component replacement, you will end up with a good amp. Mine has worked without any realy problems now for many years, but it isn't anything close to being a stock amp. I added soft turnon to it as well.