Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Begali HST Single Lever Help

Reviews Summary for Begali HST Single Lever
Begali HST Single Lever Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $250
Description: An innovative high-speed single lever key that can be switched to sideswiper mode at the flick of a switch. Cast iron base, precision bearings, and gold plated adjustment screws.
More info: http://www.i2rtf.com

You can write your own review of the Begali HST Single Lever.

9V1VV Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2014 20:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
HST MK II. An excellent high-quality single lever key. Simple adjustments from stiff action to very loose, with gaps individually adjustable on dits and dahs. The mid-point is always in exactly the same place. The heavy base stops it moving around the desk even for a slapper like me. It would be difficult to find a better design.

Begali keep a small stock of keys in the USA in case they run out of stock in Italy. Mine came from USA very quickly.

P43R Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2014 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Best key I have ever use  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
What’s your favorite coffee?
What’s your favorite tee?
What’s your favorite beer?
What’s your favorite wine?
There will always be another brand to try out tomorrow.
How can one truly decide on a favorite key?
This Mark II is the best key I have ever used.
There is no chance that a better key would be better than this better key.
Ferrary Red it is not. Ferrary performance, I will say yes.

K6TTD Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2014 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Lamborghini, Maserati, Ferrari & Begali  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a follow-up to the review I posted after my first few weeks of using my Begali HST. It has now been well over 18 months since I first went on the air with the HST. I rated it a "5" then. I would rate it a "10" today if eHam.net would let me. I am like a number of hams that enjoy CW, but did NOT enjoy working with iambic keyers. Tried several, but they never felt natural, reduced both my accuracy and speed, and always lost adjustment after a few hours on the air. My HST has been the polar opposite. Once I found the right spacing and tension settings, my speed and accuracy have increased dramatically up to about 25 WPM comfortably, from a dismal struggle @ 14 WPM with iambic. Once set, the HST stays where you put it, period; and The action is absolutely honey butter smooth. Even after being bumped, jarred, whacked, packed, moved and unpacked. While the HST isn't the most aesthetically appealing of the Begali lineup (a tall order given the incredible visual art of others in this line) it is a true mechanical work of art. It belongs on the altar of Italian art and industrial design, along side Lamborghini, Maserati and Ferrari. Bravo, Begali, e grazie mille!

N2CN Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2013 20:19 Send this review to a friend
Precise, sturdy, good value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Begali HST 2 is utilitarian in appearance, but is battleship solid and has a nice, precise feel. The handle has no vertical or horizontal play, the adjustments are simple, and the contacts have a nice, solid click to them.

The mechanism is surprisingly simple: a bearing attached to the bottom of the handle, riding horizontally against a bell-curve-shaped track or cam. The handle is centered when the bearing is resting at the center of the bell curve. The curved track pivots on one side; tension on the other side is provided by an attracting magnet. The tension keeps the bearing centered in the bell curve. (It's hard to describe verbally -- a picture does it better, but there's nothing published by Begali.) Some minor wiring is required after delivery.

I am not a high speed CW op, but after 38 years of sending CW, this paddle is the best single paddle that I've used.

I bought the HST 2 after using two other single paddles for an extended period: the Kent, which I found has an overly flexible plastic handle, giving it a mushy feel, and the American Morse Bushwacker, which has more vertical and horizontal play (looseness, actually) in the handle than I would have preferred.

N9AOP Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2013 21:34 Send this review to a friend
YES  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the same problem as some of the previous reviewers. No matter how long I use an iambic keyer, I still end up adding a dot or dash where it doesn't belong. I have a signature keyer and it works great except for this problem of mine. I have only had the HST for a couple of weeks and already I rarely add an extra character. For me this single lever keyer is the answer to good CW.---Art, N9AOP

UR7HBY Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2013 05:57 Send this review to a friend
Worthy choice!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It is the tool for admirers of qualitative and functional CW. It is that choice is very convenient and practical.

W1SFR Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2013 10:03 Send this review to a friend
My 4th Begali and so far my favorite  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm fairly new to the hobby (less than a year) but in that time I've used a lot of different paddles and keys. The HST is just sublime. With the oversize single lever, magnetic action and superfine adjustments, it makes for a truly effortless cw experience. The feel and action are superb. And to put a bit of frosting on the cake, and make your QSO's a bit more interesting, you can switch to sideswiper mode by flipping the toggle switch on the back of the unit. I received my HST about 6 working days after ordering.

KF7BYU Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2012 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Bravo!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Another perfect creation from the Begali family. The design of the HST-2 has improved the single lever design and it's performance and feel are unmatched by any of the others i've tried. The unit arrived very promptly and the Begali family sent rapid notes to keep me posted of the order and delivery process. I normally send with a straight key, but I wanted something that could go quicker for long conversations. This key is effortless to use over long periods of use and has a very consistant, clean feel that makes for perfect sending. The magnetic return system keeps the unit well centered even with very small gap settings so you won't be sending character elements by accident. Another masterpiece, made by someone who really cares about the product and it's intended use. This key is the "swiss watch" of keys.

N2BTW Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2012 18:44 Send this review to a friend
Tickled to death  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This HST II key is FUN! I've haven't been able to let go of it since it showed up.. I've sort of forgotten about QSOs, I just sit around sending to myself all day.. Like I got a new Italian sports car and can't stop driving it around the block. Such a precision instrument, crafted from the finest materials, yet industrial solid.. Although the paddle came with a contact gap tool, I set the gaps by first adjusting the magnet sensitivity, and then turning the key over on it's side (first the dit side, then the dah side), and let gravity tell me how far out to adjust the contact (I adjust them just far enough out that when the key is on it's side, gravity doesn't pull the paddle down far enough to start sending). It looks like it belongs in the radio room in the Nautilus! Love it!

N7RR Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2012 15:57 Send this review to a friend
The New HST Mark II is much better. N7RR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
HST Mark II
The HST Single Lever paddle was in the Begali lineup for awhile. I wasn't enamored of it. For me, the HST Single Lever action seemed sluggish. Although it was made from fine components, I think the principal source of my difficulty with its performance stemmed from its long lever. The HST Single Lever is now out of production. It's been replaced in 2012 by a new model. The serial numbers have apparently been continued, even though the new model seems to bear the same name. Mine is s/n 250. However, the new HST is headlined HST Mark II on the Begali home page. I'll call it that, since it is different enough to deserve a new name. It is considerable better than the original.
The HST Mark II sports a shorter aluminum lever, which, like with the original model, is integrated with the fingerpiece. The single lever/sideswiper switch has been moved back. Using that switch, the same key may be employed, in turn, to control an electronic keyer with dits on one side and dahs on the other, or it can be changed instantly to control a straight-key circuit with back-and-forth motion. The new fingerpiece is perforated and tall, like on the Begali Sculpture Mono. That means that either the whole pointer-finger knuckle or just the pointer finger tip can be used to oppose the thumb. A large vertical hole is available behind the lever which could be used to bolt the HST Mark II down onto the operating surface like old landline telegraph keys. I prefer to paste 3M™ Dual Lock™ onto the base of all of my paddles to secure them to the operating desk.
The HST Mark II is simple and businesslike. Adjusting it is a snap: left and right thumbscrews control contact spacing; one front thumbscrew controls the magnetic return tension in both directions with a moving cam. At €218 plus shipping, the HST Mark II is pretty economical among fine-quality paddles.