Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | W9GR DSP Filter Help

Reviews Summary for W9GR DSP Filter
W9GR DSP Filter Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $170.00
Description: DSP noise filter
More info: http://www.w9gr.com/

You can write your own review of the W9GR DSP Filter.

VE7EA Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2011 12:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: months
I have nothing to compare this too, but have owned this for over 6 years and it works better than hoped. As a CW operator using an old ICOM IC-735 this transforms my 735 into an excellent CW rig. The "Noise" filter is also very good for lousy conditions on low bands at night, especially on SSB. Make sure you get quality, snug-fitting power and phono plugs for the backside or you will have bad connections.

N1KSN Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2008 07:17 Send this review to a friend
Works very, very well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I acquired a used W9GR a couple of months ago and set it up for use with my backup HF rig, an Alinco DX-77T. I had some ground loop issues at first, but these were solved when I switched to a wallwart power supply for the unit and put an RF choke and isolation transformer on the audio input line.

The unit makes a world of difference in using the DX-77T on SSB and CW. Depending on SSB conditions I use the noise reduction or the 2.1 and 1.8 KHz filters. When things get tough on CW I kick in the 100 or 50 Hz filters at my favorite CW receive frequency of 400 Hz. I've also experimented with using the unit for digital modes and plan on getting that setup working as well.

In short, this is a great piece of equipment that has become a permanent part of my station.

K2FDR Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2007 13:40 Send this review to a friend
W9GR III  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I owned the earlier model of the W9GR DSP and it was very good. I moved on to newer rigs and didm't need it anymore...and sold it.

Upon my return to older rigs I realized what I fool I was to sell it and picked up the last issue of these, the W9GR III. It's a shame they are no longer made. The III works far better than the earlier models. It can make any older, non-dsp rig, sit side by side with any current radio giving you superb reception.

WB6Q Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2006 06:43 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful filter  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I discovered this gem (DSP III) while visiting a friends shack. He has owned one since 2000 and just loved it. After playing with it for 10 minutes I just had to have one. It took a while, but I found one on e-bay that I use with my Kenwood 950 SDX. I love the noise reduction for weak signal work on 80 meter SSB, helped me work 192 countries last winter. I was fortunate enough to find a second one that I am using with my Collins KWM-2A. I hope someday their will be a DSP IV, I will be the first in line to buy one.

VK3KBC Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2005 07:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent unit for the price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I saw this unit advertised for sale on a WIA publication a few days after the original mailing date and I emailed an expression of interest even though I thought it'd have probably already been sold.

The asking price was AU$60.00 and although I'd never heard of one of these units, I thought I'd try it out at this price.

I was surprised to hear that it hadn't sold, and I decided to purchase it.

It turned out to be a great decision and the best bit of luck I've had in a while!

I already own a Timewave DSP-9+ and I expected this unit to be inferior - but I was wrong.

I connected the W9GR DSPII to my TS-440SAT and was immediately surprised to hear that the SSB audio was far clearer and noise free than the same signal recovered on the Timewave DSP-9+.

There were fewer DSP artifacts on the audio and it sounded more 'rounded' and 'fuller' than the Timewave audio. It was certainly more natural sounding and would be more pleasant to listen to over a period of time.

I then compared the performance of the two units on CW and RTTY and would say that give or take, they are much of a muchness. Both units performed very well.

On 80m it does really well at removing atmospheric noise and limits the static crashes to a reasonable level where they are still confortable to listen to. Generally, the extracted audio is very clear and the lower level crashes and general noise is significantly reduced.

Receiver AGC does have an adverse affect on operation as there is a delay after large static crashes before the audio recovers to full volume, and the DSP AGC could have been a bit faster to respond.

The recovered audio is somewhat lower in level than the straight through audio, which probably could have been adjusted for in the DSP algorithm but wasn't.

Apart from those trivial issues, I tip my hat to W9GR - what a great job - I'm impressed!

I compared the unit to a far more expensive BHI DSP 10-2 (which in my opinion works extremely well), and I would say that the W9GR unit is not at all far behind.

In my opinion, the noise floor of the recovered DSP audio on the W9GR unit sounds fractionally higher, and hence the dynamic range is probably a bit lower, but it's not a show stopper at all.

It has got selectable CW and Digital Mode settings which the BHI unit doesn't, and I find that these features add to it's appeal.

Overall I would recommend this unit for anyone wishing to enhance the functionality of a non-DSP receiver, especially if you can pick one up for the right price.

I read the below reviews prior to purchasing the unit and would say that now having tested the unit, I would agree with most of the opinions in those reviews.

This has got to be one of the best value for money purchases I have made in a while!

Even at double the price, I'd still say it was a bargain!

K7VO Rating: 4/5 May 30, 2005 14:57 Send this review to a friend
Effective, very good for the price, but there are better units  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the W9GR DSP II as sold by the long dead company jCom. It was an under $50 item on eBay and for the price it simply cannot be beat. I have used it extensively with a Kenwood TS-430V, a Tokyo Hy-Power HX-240 (with an old Yaesu FT-290R as the IF), various minimalist Mizuho rigs (P-7DX, P-21DX, QX-21), and various older NCG rigs (7/21/50, 15SB), and now, finally with a modern transceiver: a Ten Tec Argonaut V.

With the older (non-DSP) rigs the very narrow CW bandwidth filtering works very well indeed, and is particularly valuable in rigs that don't have a good narrow CW filter of their own. It certainly is superior to the PF-1A audio filter in my Mizuho P-7DX.

The noise reduction mode for SSB does reduce noise but also introduces a little loss or apparant signal strength and does leave a little hiss as an artifact. This is still less fatiguing to listening to than static crashes and noise on 40 or 60, for example, but it doesn't compare to what I could do with expensive, high end units like a JPS NIR-12 or a Timewave 599zx. It is more effective than a JPS NIR-10 and doesn't have the weird digital artifacts heavy processing causes on that unit.

The Ten Tec Argonaut V has superp IF DSP bandwidth filtering which this unit simply cannot touch. However, the Argonaut, quite surprisiningly, doesn't go below 200Hz bandwidth and the W9GR DSP II can drop the bandwidth to 30Hz which sometimes is a good thing in a crowded CW band like 40m. In adidtion the Argonaut has no noise reduction capability other than a digital noise blanker so I find myself using the built in DSP in tandem with the W9GR for best results, particularly when cleaning up background noise on strong SSB signals.

I sold my expensive DSP units when finances were tight and bought the W9GR DSP II because it was inexpensive. It has more than lived up to my expectations and for the price it can't be beat. I'd love to try a DSP III to see what improvements were made. I can't rate it a "5" because it's a good DSP unit, not a great one. Great ones cost a whole lot more.

N5WSU Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2003 21:50 Send this review to a friend
Noise? What Noise!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I went to the ham fest in Belton,TX and pick up a W9GR DSP III for $20.00,, WOW What a great device! This unit works, If I see another one at the next ham fest I'm getting it!I'm a beliver,But it is sad that there no longer made.

WA2MGB Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2002 22:10 Send this review to a friend
Great Audio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked a W9GR DSP (the original) off Ebay for a big 48.00. Despite it being the "first" model the perforance is excellent. The great sound of silence, except for the station you are in QSO with is a wonderful treat on the ears. Works great with my tube rigs as well as my solid state equiptment. Best 48.00 spent on my shack!

K4BXN Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2002 12:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Filter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently picked up a W9GR DSP III audio filter (which I understand is no longer made) at a local ham fest. Works great. Easy to use. Better than the other filters I have owned or tried. Very satisfied. Will have to wait for the DSP IV to come out, but it will have to go some for me to replace my DSP III.

K2PJT Rating: 4/5 May 6, 2002 00:09 Send this review to a friend
Works well with qrp transceiver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use this unit in various CW modes with an Oakhills QRP transceiver. It is a combination that works very well. It did not work particularly well with my old R390A but with the OHR100a it is terrific. I employ it in more than half my QSO's. Even if there is no qrm it is possible to boost weak incoming signals well above noise levels. I also have an MFJ DSP unit and find the latter more flexable but requireing a bit more effort to operate. It works better with the R390a than does the G9GR. I got both DSP units through EBay