Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | W9GR DSP Filter Help

Reviews Summary for W9GR DSP Filter
W9GR DSP Filter Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $170.00
Description: DSP noise filter
More info: http://www.w9gr.com/

You can write your own review of the W9GR DSP Filter.

UK-SWL Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2002 23:42 Send this review to a friend
superb  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have an ICOM 746 and have added an old W9GR DSPII filter which cost 35 secondhand and it is without doubt an improvement over the dsp and noise reduction in the 746 !!!!! superb for weak ssb signals and fine on the digital modes don't delay buy today ???
I had a timewave 599zx version 5 before and that cost 360 and while it has much more to it and was fully adjustable the end received result is very similar ?? so for 35 I am a very happy man
good dx Ian Hatton (Derby England)

KK6I Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2001 12:54 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding audio DSP and kit!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The W9GR DSP has been a welcome addition to my shack. The kit is exceptionally well layed-out and simple to assemble. The circut board is double sided, screened, and matted, which makes component installation a snap. I put it togther in a couple of nights after work.

I primarily use the CW and SSB filters, and after having the DSP over two years, I can't imagine life in the shack without it. In fact, before I ventured off to field day this year, I threw it in the equipment bag -- just in case. Well, it turned out that I was assigned to the 80m CW and SSB station throughout the night. I hooked up the W9GR and said goodby to static crash from the thunderstorms around the country.

The unit can generate some interference with UHF and VHF gear, but I was able to eliminate it with some proper grounding.

I would recommend this DSP to anyone. I have listened to fellow hams expensive Timewave units, and there is no difference. Have fun with a simple kit, and make your on-air experience much more enjoyable.

I understand that a DSP IV may be coming out soon. I you happen to run across a DSP III, buy it, you will not regret doing so.

Ron

N7UX Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2001 14:33 Send this review to a friend
Great kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this kit at a swap meet from a ham that didn't have the time to build it up. I am certainly pleased that I decided to buy it! The circuit card is one of the best I have ever seen, parts layout is very well done and the supplied components are first rate.

The documentation is not for the first time kit builder. This is one of those kits that says, "see the resistors, solder them in...". I have built many kits and have been an electronics tech for 30+ years so this was not a problem for me.

After assembly, the checkout went without a problem and the unit powered up ready to go. I did not do any bench measurements but to my ears it is every bit as good as if not better than my DSP-59+. Easier to adjust, less ringing and hardly any of the watery sounding audio on SSB.

I only wish these were still available so I could build another for my 6 meter all mode..

73 - Phil
N7UX

WA3REY Rating: 4/5 Oct 2, 2000 14:47 Send this review to a friend
Great value. Better than a '599?  Time owned: more than 12 months
The W9GR unit comes in a variety of flavors starting with the DSP-I through the DSP-III. Currently, there are no new kits for sale as W9GR is busy designing a new DSP-IV.

I built the DSP-1 Rev 3 from a kit and it worked the first time with no trouble shooting! That's a plus for any kit. This was my first attempt at soldering a multi-layer PC board with plated-through holes and it went together easily.

My DSP-1 has a few drawbacks that were fixed in later units DSP-II and DSP-III. With the DSP-I, you have to be very careful not overload the unit with rcvr audio. The newer W9GR units have built-in AGC that cures this problem.

Also, it is difficult to switch the DSP-1 from mode to mode. This is a two-hand operation that makes you wish there was a simple rotary switch to determine which filter is in the circuit.

In brief, the W9GR compares very favorably with units selling for three times as much. Compare a W9GR to a Timewave and I'll bet the W9GR comes out on top.