Reviews Categories | Electronic Component Suppliers | K8GNZ - Old Heathkit Parts Help

Reviews Summary for K8GNZ - Old Heathkit Parts
K8GNZ - Old Heathkit Parts Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Used and new parts for the Heathkit HW-12 to HW-32 line, HW-100, HW-101, SB-100, -101, -102, SB-400, -401, transcievers and HP-23 power supplies.
More info: http://www.ultrawebb.com/OHP/

You can write your own review of the K8GNZ - Old Heathkit Parts.

W4WUQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2010 09:25 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Had the part I needed and provide a fast service and delivery.

W7GGT Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2010 03:41 Send this review to a friend
Good results with HP-23D kit  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I built one of Bob's upgrade kits a while back and it has worked flawlessly ever since. I am well satisfied with the design, components and instructions. The 100K resistors do get hot (just like the resistors in the old PS) but are rated to take the heat. My instruction CD said to mount them 1/8" above the PCB, which I did. I have had no problems whatsoever with them overheating or "burning" the board as the previous reviewer mentioned. If his resistors were mounted incorrectly against the board, some discoloration of the PCB would probably result. Make sure you space them properly according to the CD instructions. Bottom line - against the PCB is a no no, spaced 1/8" like mine is sufficient, and spaced 1/4" is better yet as there is plenty of room to raise them up that much.

N5CQK Rating: 1/5 Jul 6, 2010 07:28 Send this review to a friend
poor design  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought two of these kits. One completely failed, (after occasional usage over 3 months) and the other is "on it's way out". The problem is with the four, 100k resistors (R1, R2, R3, & R4). They all four electrically connect together, in close proximity on the PCB, (where the red/yel wire comes from the transformer) and the heat from them burns the board. (Mine "blew out" and has a hole you can stick a pencil through). The instructions say to mount them 1/8" from the board. After contacting k8gnz about the problem, I had to buy a new PCB and 100k resistors, which he NOW says should be mounted 1/4" above the board. After ordering the replacement parts, I found out that the other unit (my buddy's) was turning brown in the same spot. I had previously thought that my radio might have caused the problem, but this was too much of a coincidence. I emailed Bob and asked him if he was "willing to make this right", as there was a problem with his design. I got an insulting, snotty email back from him, which I returned, in kind.. Just a "word to the wise".... I'm out about $150.00

My previous review was of the HP-23d kit for the HP-23 series of power supplies.

N0CGF Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2009 07:55 Send this review to a friend
GOOD Source unique Parts  Time owned: more than 12 months
In 2005 thru 2007 I received many SB/HW series Heathkits that needed repair. Some of them needed a Heterodyne Oscillator, Driver Grid, or Driver Plate coil, Crystals, or other unique part that was made specific for the heathkit series. K8GNZ was the only easy fast source to find them. And there were times that he did not have a part and notified me that he had a source, and would contact me if he found the needed part. 73's N0CGF Dennis

K9PU Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2009 19:49 Send this review to a friend
Good parts source  Time owned: more than 12 months
I, too, have gotten my HW101 parts from GNZ. Good communication, rapid response, lots of parts.

Scott

WD4SCZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2009 17:41 Send this review to a friend
Good parts, great kit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have gotten all sorts of odds and ends from Bob to keep my old Heathkits running over the years. His HP-23D retrofit kit for rebuilding the old HP-23 series power supplies is top-notch. The instructions are easy to follow as any Heathkit ever was. I have used a couple of competitor's kits as well as just replaced caps and diodes as needed, and while those methods did the job, I think Bob's HP-23D kit is the most elegant and hassle-free solution.

W1EUJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2009 08:38 Send this review to a friend
Great parts, got my HW-101 back into shape!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've bought a pair of rubber belts, several of the 2-pin Amphenol microphone connectors used on the HW-101, an aluminum dial insert, and a dial upgrade.

The two rubber belts are differently sized, which solves the issue seen in many of these Heathkit radios where one belt was WAY too tight. If you see an HW- or SB- series transciever with the pair of pulleys on the loading control, connected by dial string, that's Heathkit's solution to the problem. Having two belts, each of the correct diameter, fitting perfectly on to the pulleys - that is the real solution. K8GNZ has got them!

His dial is beautiful - it has finer markings than the original, and includes the band assignments on there too! The colors look very nice, better than the original. He also includes installation instructions with the dial, and photos of his own installation on his website.
Hope band assignment doesn't change though...

Same with his dial insert - perfect looking part, works on any of thise SB line big knobs, and included two different methods of installation.

Also bought the perfect-reproductions of the original Amphenol 2-pin microphone connector. They are of new manufacture, and look just the same as the original.

He sells lots of used parts for each of the radios he supports, but as I've a junker, I have not has to buy those from him.

Responds quickly to emails, ships quickly too, I've done business with him a couple of time, and no issues. Perfect parts. Another guy to keep on my preferred vendors list.