Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Radio Shack 20-176 VHF-Hi/UHF Scanner Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack 20-176 VHF-Hi/UHF Scanner Antenna
Radio Shack 20-176 VHF-Hi/UHF Scanner Antenna Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$25.99
Description: Covers 108-1300MHz with peak performance occurring in the 152-470MHz range. Approximately 20" in height.
More info: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103641

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack 20-176 VHF-Hi/UHF Scanner Antenna.

KB7UXE Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2013 20:39 Send this review to a friend
great 2m/440 antenna !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have been using these for last 10 years !
they are great 2m / 440 mhz antennas.
They just happen to be resonant on 2m and 440 !!!
not much wind load, do just fine in the snow and ice. simple and easy to set up. Very wide band width. I seem to have better luck with these than with J-poles. I have ram 200 watts through with no problems.
Dan.
kb7uxe

KI6OSH Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2012 15:29 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine up for about 5 years connected to a RS scanner and it hears all the repeaters within 100 miles. It's up about 30 feet but for the price, hard to beat. Even put one up inside the house on another scanner, my wife is not too keen on it but she's getting used to it. Great little antenna.

K5TED Rating: 4/5 Oct 28, 2012 12:43 Send this review to a friend
Best $30 dual band Gp   Time owned: more than 12 months
I had purchsed this a couple of years ago to use with a PCR-1500 receiver, and was not particularly impressed.

Recently, I had to take down my tri-band 6m/2m/70cm GP for maintenance, and decided to give the little Ratshack GP a try on ham bands. Much to my delight, it is almost flat across the repeater input segments on VHF, and no more than 1.5:1 on UHF. Got good reports on simplex too.

N2ZUL Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2010 17:36 Send this review to a friend
The sputnik  Time owned: months
You must get one of these for your scanner! I have one connected to a PRO-160 through a 70' run of RS RG-58. It is at 21' and it picks up things I honestly didn't think were in my area. It is small and inexpensive. I also have an older RS discone (without the low band "stinger" on the top) that I bought at RS in DC from the junk box for $1. This antenna is in the garage in the rafters at about 6' lower. Same feedline (actually less) and the sputnik blows it away.

K7MSC Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2009 22:20 Send this review to a friend
Great bang for the buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this antenna as a dual band 2 meter/70 centimeter antenna. I can hit all the local repeaters with great success even when I have the antenna indoors . I can't see why anyone would pay more for a dual band base antenna. Just be sure to put lock-tite on the radial locknuts as they tend to loosen up. Can't beat it for the price.

WV1K Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2009 17:48 Send this review to a friend
Works well indoors  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have two of these simple ground planes in use indoors where I don't want to worry about disconnection during storms. One is on a sometimes APRS IGATE that covers well through three towns considering the antenna is 6 feet high. I added another for my scanners. The 860 MHz control channel went from no signal strength using the supplied Uniden whip to 3 to 4 bars out of 5 with the RS antenna. Two meter repeaters went from inaudible to 4 to 5 bars including a repeater 40 miles away. Since I have other real antennas, this is good for 26 bucks to avoid dropping 100 bucks repeatedly.