Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Ron Baker - WB4HFN Help

Reviews Summary for Ron Baker - WB4HFN
Ron Baker - WB4HFN Reviews: 33 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Drake and Collins expert repair and restoration
More info: http://www.wb4hfn.com/

You can write your own review of the Ron Baker - WB4HFN.

WA0YSL Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2016 09:25 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely the best  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned my Drake R-4B, T-4 Reciter transmitter and AC-4 power supply since the late 1960's. In the mid 70's, I started having some issues with the R-4B. I got married about the same time and instead of getting the receiver repaired, all 3 units went into storage for about the next 39 years. About last Christmas a ham friend talked me into getting the Drake equipment back on the air and he highly recommended Ron. I sent all 3 units to Ron, WB4HFN to be brought back to original operating condition. This included rebuilding the AC-4 with the HKS AC-4R kit. About 6 weeks later, I received them back from Ron. Was I surprised! All 3 units were like they were brand new! They looked new and they worked like they were new. I used my original microphone, an Electro Voice 638, and I received many wonderful comments on the audio. I am very pleased with the way they work now. Ron is a professional in every way and very good to do business with. After I had sent the Drakes to him, I had some concerns and he was most helpful. I highly recommend him.

K6QXZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2016 12:13 Send this review to a friend
A Master Craftsman!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ron Baker is a Master Craftsman 'par excellence'. It does not get any better when looking for an expert in refurbishing and repairing Drake equipment. I recently had Ron refurbish my Drake B-Line. He is prompt, courteous, and undoubtedly one of the most experienced technicians that exist in making an "old rig" sing again. On top of all this his prices are very fair. So, don't look any further if you need help breathing new life into your Drakes...Ron Baker's the man!

NR4M Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2015 15:42 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the second time I've used Ron for repair to my old Drake C-line twins. Both times, I was very satisfied with his work, communication, prices and documentation.
I was in a bit a 'pickle'... I had a stock transmitter and a highly modified receiver. NO ONE wanted to work on the receiver, so it had to go to Sherwood Engineering for repair and alignment. I don't think Sherwood Eng works on transmitters (don't know for sure) so never could get them aligned - as a package -
I discussed my issue and Ron agreed to take a look at the receiver, as well as, the transmitter, with the understanding that if there was an issue with the Sherwood stuff, he could not/would not work on that part of it.
Got the stuff back last week and I can honestly say that I have NEVER, EVER had a pair of modified twins (and I've had a few over the years) that is as 'hot' and works as well as what I have now. I just could never have expected this level of performance. (I understand and recognize the need for high performance, as I have a competitive CW/RTTY multi-multi contest station.)
I am not normally one to make a big deal of a work product at a level I am expecting, but the result is just 'above and beyond' what I was expecting.
I now have my other Drake stuff 'lined up', to go to Ron.
I could not be happier.

WD9HML Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2015 07:49 Send this review to a friend
Total Satisfaction  Time owned: more than 12 months
Several years ago I bought a TR4 and power supply from Ron. He had gone through both and they look and work great. Just in the past year he has done a 2B and an R4B. In both cases I sent him an old tired radio and he returned a fresh 'nearly new' looking and working radio. My next job for Ron is a T4XC. I have used other services for other brands of radio and I can say without reservation that Ron Baker is tops. His work is outstanding. He communicates. He is prompt. And, his prices are very fair. You will not be disappointed in Ron's service. I just hope he continues doing his excellent work for many years to come. The Drake community needs him.

K4KYO Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2014 06:26 Send this review to a friend
One of the Very Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can echo the praise from the other 5-star ratings. Rather than do that though, I'll just add that I've found Ron to be a good and honorable man who knows is stuff as well or better than anybody I've encountered.

My first dealings with Ron were a few years ago when I sent my newly acquired my TR7 that had some intermittent problems due to apparently rough handling in shipping. He sent it back to me working to specifications and a performance report. Since then I've routinely sent all my Drake gear to Ron when I've acquired them for a going over and preventive maintenance whether or not they appeared to be working okay. I've never been disappointed and have always considered his charges to be appropriate and reasonable.

K3VYY Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2014 04:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Service!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had my T4XC on the bench three times after it worked fine for several years, and could not find the problem. I had bought it used and it really needed to be refurbished. Talked to Ron and decided to send the radio to him. He said it might take 6-8 weeks with the backlog. Got the T4XC back this week and just got it back on the air with the R4C. Ron did his standard package and found the problem, a bad solder joint on the antenna relay board. New window filters, and a knob insert and the radio works like.md looks like new! I am really pleased. Price was very reasonable. Thanks Ron!

WA8ZIP Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2014 19:40 Send this review to a friend
Drake T4XB and R4B for refurb  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had these radios as a young ham 45+ years ago, but they have been mostly silent for 30+ years due to school, job, wife, kids. As retirement approaches, wanted to bring them back to life. Ron was very helpful; he provided detailed advice and a complete report of the work done. The radios came back in great shape... they looked almost new and worked better than ever. Ron is a professional who does excellent work. It's first come, first served, so you might have to be patient, but it's worth the wait. I thought the cost was reasonable.

W4HT Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2014 17:49 Send this review to a friend
Very Satisfied  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent my Drake TR-4CW and AC-4 to Ron recently for a thorough overhaul. He communicated very well every step of the way, gave me a detailed and reasonable bill for his service and the best part...the rig and PS operate as if they came off the assembly line at Drake (and I have operated a TR-4C at Drake back in the 1970's). I am very well pleased and would highly recommend him for all your Drake (and other vintage) repair needs.

W6MQI Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2013 20:04 Send this review to a friend
PTO Repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sent my R4C in for PTO work not knowing if it was even repairable. Ron repaired the PTO cleaned and aligned the R4C. Upon return of the R4C a detailed sheet of all work performed as well as receiver performance spec's sheet was included. I highly recommend Ron for any of your Drake repairs. I give Ron an A+++ for work performed and communication.

KW6G Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2013 20:00 Send this review to a friend
Drake C-Line looks and acts like new!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ron did a really great job servicing my recently acquired Drake C-Line. He is a very capable and knowledgeable individual. My radios came back to me in a-one condition. Also, he conducts his business professionally, his rates are quite reasonable, and he does not over charge his customers for parts.

Some background for those who might be interested. I have been the proud owner of a Drake Al-line (T4X / R4A circa 1966) since 1982, but have had it in storage for past 10 years or so. Last April, I had the good fortune to “inherit” a Drake C-Line (T4XC / R4C) from a good friend of mine who had to clean out his garage at his wife’s request. One of the things that had to go was his son’s old ham radio that hadn’t been touched in over 20 years. So of course, I jumped at the chance to add to my inventory of classic Drake gear.

I did some preliminary cleaning of the switches, etc. And found out the radios basically worked, but they were quite dirty and dusty after 20 years in the garage with little or no protection. Since I have never ‘washed’ a radio I sent them off to Ron who cleaned them up both physically and electronically. Both units came back looking and sounding like new. Ron is truly amazing. I highly recommend his services to anyone who loves these old Drake radios like I do.