Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Radio Shack DX-350 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack DX-350
Radio Shack DX-350 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: analog AM/FM/shortwave receiver. Small, portable, somewhat larger than many contemporary travel portables, but this one actually works very well. Manufactured in 1997.
First off, I have never been a fan of Radio Shack products. On a whim, I got this off ebay, and am amazed at the reception on it with the standard antenna. I'm not kidding. This receiver pulls in shortwave broadcasts as well as, or better than my Eton E10. I couldn't believe the pulling power and the simplicity of using this radio. It brings back the best features of 1970's analog sets, with the contemporary features of compact size and advanced electronics. I think I'm going to have to re-visit my views on Radio Shack products after experiencing what this little gem has to offer.

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack DX-350.

RENTON481 Rating: 4/5 Mar 2, 2012 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Decent for bandscanning & casual listening  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ah, the good ol' Sangean 700L in Radio Shack livery, a.k.a. Realistic DX350... The "L" in the original Sangean 700L model number refers to the Longwave broadcast band, which this radio also has. I bought my first one in the early 1990's, and bought the second one (as a backup -- I used it as a take to work SW radio) a few years later just before they were discontinued.

Basically, the 700L / DX350 is a small, analog dial multiband radio, and they work well for bandscanning, or listening around the house or at work. They're definitely not DX radios. With the analog dial, you don't have an accurate readout. But then, a set of batteries will last longer in a DX350 than they will in a digital readout portable.

I have two of these little marvels. The first one was made in Taiwan and is a Realistic brand DX350, and the second one was made in China and is a Radio Shack brand DX350. Both are similar, in that they aren't deaf off the whip like some portables are in the Western U.S., and they are reasonably sensitive enough to hear international broadcasters and stronger domestic broadcasters on Shortwave. They also work o.k. on MW, the Taiwanese model having the edge in performance.

For a signal indicator you have a red LED.

The main difference in features between these two models is that the Chinese made Radio Shack DX350 has wider coverage on the 31, 25, 21, 19, 16, 13, and 25 meter SW bands. It also has a tiny bit of extra coverage on the 49 meter band. The build quality appears similar.

The Taiwanese made, Realistic branded DX350 is the better performer of the two radios, as it has a better selectivity, and is less prone to local FM hash when listening to SW (in my location, some radios get overload / hash from FM stations whose transmitters are just a few miles away. Angling the whip antenna away from them will reduce it). The Realistic brand DX350 also will separate adjacent SW stations a little better.

The Chinese made, Radio Shack DX350 has a bit better fidelity on SW, probably because it has a wider filter.

On MW, the Realistic branded DX350 will pull in weak stations adjacent to strong locals, whereas the Radio Shack branded one does so with more difficulty.

Both radios have excellent overall fidelity. When you have a strong SW station coming in, the sound is very pleasing, even without headphones.

Obviously, the DX350 isn't a DX machine, but for a bedside radio that you want to use to hear R. Australia or Havana, and you don't mind a little heterodyne noise, these are good carry around radios. As I write this, my Realistic DX350 is pulling in China Radio International with good signals, just off the whip antenna.

I use mine to do a quick bandscan to see which SW broadcast bands are active, or to listen to SW around the house.

The biggest drawback is the power button. I used to take my Realistic DX350 to work in my backpack and the power button was easy to switch on by accident. Another weakness is the slide switches. If the radio isn't used for a long time, the little contacts on the meter bandswitch can oxidise. Working the meter bandswitch back and forth a bit will fix it.

WB0PNX Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2010 13:54 Send this review to a friend
great little receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine at a yard sale in 2001 for 2 or 3 bucks. The lady said that the AM worked but the SW and FM didnt. On the bench I removed the back panel and found a missing screw in the telescoping antenna assy. Five minutes later it came to life and has been operating great since. It has been banged around and seen the world with me with not so much as a burp. The original dial cord has got to break someday...hi hi. Reception on all of the AM modes is more than adequate. MW-AM is surprizingly similar to a CC radio or GE Super Radio. FM is just ok. Battery life has always been longer than expected. All it ever needed was DC to Light bandwidth and a bfo.

LIGHTFOOT44 Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2009 13:29 Send this review to a friend
UPDATE- Realistic DX-350  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As an addition to my initial posting on this radio, and my previous comments, I was so impressed with the Realistic DX-350, that I purchased a second one, and it too, is just a wonderful little Shortwave. I would have to say that it equals the performance, and perhaps exceeds the performance of all my other shortwave radios, and that includes a host of grundigs and etons.

N4YWG Rating: 4/5 Jan 19, 2009 00:12 Send this review to a friend
Simple, Yet Great Reception  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine when R/S nearly gave them away on clearance for $10 each. These smack of Sangean quality, but I can't find anything to support that point of curiosity.

I like to listen to overnight shows like C2CAM, and switch from 1510 to 1200 and others from Atlanta. Even my old Trans-Oceanic can't pull in stations like this can. My 350 hears WWV when the old T/O won't.

I did not give it a 5 because of the analog dial tuning, which does not give very accurate tuning on SW, and some stations are tricky to tune, although I manage quite well.