Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | MFJ-269 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-269
MFJ-269 Reviews: 78 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $359.95
Description: HF/VHF/UHF SWR Analyzer
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-269

You can write your own review of the MFJ-269.

AB2IR Rating: 4/5 May 30, 2014 06:30 Send this review to a friend
No problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my 1999 model and have used it ever since. Pulling it out once every couple years. Try to remember to turn it on to keep caps up once in awhile. would buy again.

F5BLN Rating: 4/5 Nov 23, 2013 16:08 Send this review to a friend
Nice for price...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have mine since maybe 7 years...
Never open this very cheap box.
At home, external power supply.
In the field, 2X9V cells.
He do the job...

AB1LT Rating: 4/5 Oct 2, 2013 07:58 Send this review to a friend
Does the job  Time owned: more than 12 months
So far, so good. No problems and it is very nice being able to know the complex impedance of the antenna, not just the SWR. It does indicate the battery voltage is about 1V below its actual voltage which makes me worry, but I've checked its calibration on several bands and it's good. Because I worry about MFJ build quality I keep handy a little 50ohm BNC terminator to check it with from time to time.

ZS5J Rating: 2/5 Oct 2, 2013 01:40 Send this review to a friend
Great idea, bad implementation  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of the early units. The idea is/was great, but is let down by typically poor MFJ quality control. Mine worked fine for a few years, then just stopped working altogether. Opening up the case reveals shoddy workmanship, and the paintwork is typical MFJ - it peels off or is worn off very quickly. On any other MFJ product I have owned, the QC and paintwork is similar - it peels/flakes off, in my humid coastal environment.

I have since bought the Comet SWR analyser (when they were released about 3 years ago) - way better built than the MFJ, solid, and excellent paint finish. While the Comet does all the bands HF/VHF/UHF, it is somewhat limited in that it only shows the SWR on an analogue meter. Downside of the Comet, is that at $ 420.00 it is overpriced for what you get.

Last month I bought the You-Kits FG-01 mark II. Now this is a lovely device, not too expensive, small/compact with a lovely colour graphic display showing both the impedance and SWR curves. Being able to see the shape of the curves on a colour graphic screen gives one far more of an idea of how the antenna is working, and makes antenna adjustments far easier.

Please Martin F. Jue, do NOT buy out You Kits....or any more of your competitors for that matter. The once mighty Hy-Gain antennas and Cushcraft antennas, are no longer a quality product due to the MFJ QC influence.

K9RJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2013 21:35 Send this review to a friend
Reliable and very handy   Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this for about 10 years. No issues. Sure beats only having a vswr meter. Makes tuning antennas easy and quick.

VK7FLAZ Rating: 4/5 Oct 1, 2013 20:13 Send this review to a friend
I bought a MFJ 269 and frequency counter was faulty.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Contacted MFJ and they sent a new one that day by UPS express to me in Australia. I sent faulty one back to them once I received new one. 10 out of 10 on customer service.

WM4RB Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2013 14:04 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my MFJ-269 for 3 years and have no complaints at all. It has always worked well each time I've used it.

IK4MTR Rating: 0/5 Jul 12, 2013 05:19 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Disappointing indeed.
I bought it in 2011 and after little time he showed clear working mistakes.
I still sent it to the laboratory MFJ (it was under warranty) in the November 2012.
Till today, after 9 months, still I do not have news any more and no one answers.
Little seriousness.

AE7G Rating: 2/5 Jul 9, 2013 12:35 Send this review to a friend
Unreliable poor quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned one of these for a few years.

In terms of what they provide, if they are working they provide a lot of information for the money. You can do most of what you need to do to analyze and adjust antennas, although they will not graph or work with a computer.

The problem is shoddy workmanship. Mine started giving erratic and mystifying readings for no good reason that I could see. I initially thought the problem was with my antennas and feed lines. After pulling everything apart and buying replacement cables I found out the problem was really the analyzer itself. A lot of time and money wasted.

For Field day this year I wasted hours pulling down and replacing antennas that were actually working just fine.

Sure I can send this back to the factory and get it repaired for less than the cost of a new unit. But how long til the next failure?

On top of construction issues, for a unit that intended to work in the field, this unit is not well thought out. Lots of delicate protruding buttons and gauges and no meaningful protective case.

In the end you get what you pay for. A more expensive and more reliable unit like the RigExpert may cost more initially but will probably save a lot of time and money going forward.

VE7AGW Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2012 14:12 Send this review to a friend
If you don't have one borrow one  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought mine used at a swap meet, so I'm not out of pocket much money. I've checked my 269 against a Bird AT-500 and it's pretty darn close, considering the price difference I'll stick with the MFJ-269. Like someone else posted "for the kind of work I'm using it for it works just fine". It's one of the few test instruements that I could actually say I don't know how I managed for so many years without one.
A couple of years back I was working on a Sinclair antenna which we tuned by cutting back a capacitive stub using a MFJ-259, before completing the install on top of a mountain we checked the antenna with a Bird AT-500 and it was exactly what the MFJ had read. So at that point I had changed my mind about the MFJ analyzers. I'm an old school amateur and am very stubborn about new things but this paticular unit is worth an investment, unless you have a lot more money to purchase a Bird AT-500 this is worth every dollar and then some.
Enough said there are still units that can have issues, although every amateur I've talked to who owns one of the MFJ series of analyzers none of them are unsatisfied.