Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | MFJ-269 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-269
MFJ-269 Reviews: 87 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $359.95
Description: HF/VHF/UHF SWR Analyzer
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-269

You can write your own review of the MFJ-269.

K8KEM Rating: 3/5 Aug 30, 2017 07:34 Send this review to a friend
Pretty fair  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The MFJ 259B I have is a nice unit and has been a pleasure to use. I just use regular batteries in the unit 10 AA's. I guess the only issue I have is when I put a 75 ohm load on the unit, I am expecting it to read 1.5 VSWR, it reads 1.2. Close enough I guess. But it's so handy with all the things it does! Amazing unit for the price. Measuring coax length is neato! Checking L and C against my LC checker and its right on. I will be upgrading to the 269C soon. It has the 12 bit A/D converter, it may eat batteries quicker.. will see. I don't think Ham Shacks or small RF labs should be without one. Provides a great deal of info other than just looking at SWR.

KZ4AK Rating: 2/5 Jul 22, 2017 09:33 Send this review to a friend
MFJ-269C Problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
First one was DOA. Vendor replaced. Since, has been back to MFJ for repair of malfunctions (they kept it a LONG time.

Even after repairs, there is a problem reading L or C. I understand the frequency range error and this is not that error. It is not simply an accuracy issue. The value of either C or L is completely dependent on the frequency setting. The value varies wildly with freq setting.
woody at albe24 dot com
Has anyone experienced this problem?

KF4LRN Rating: 2/5 May 23, 2017 07:22 Send this review to a friend
Not able to charge and Button Flaw  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My critique is that the MFJ-269c will not charge batteries as advertised. I purchased from HRO on November 1, 2017. I sent the unit back on December 12 2016, after getting new batteries from HRO thinking they were bad, and it was returned January 25 2017. The worksheet was less informative than the submission information I sent with the unit. The paperwork said repair-replace. I received the exact same unit back with a notation that it was calibrated and checked for function. The unit, after repair, will not charge batteries as advertised. I purchased the carry case, to protect the unit while in the field. Seemed like a good idea, except that now I have to remove dials, remove the very tight fitting case, and remove the back every time I have to charge the batteries. This is more trouble than it is worth. On the bright side I did receive a second set of MFJ rechargeable batteries with the returned unit. Maybe their way of saying suck it up and change the batteries. I have purchased a Tenergy TN160 12 cell charger to do what the MFJ-269c cannot. Suggestion, zipper or velcro the rear of the carry case so I can gain access to the batteries without having to remove dials and such each time I change the batteries. I'm not big on reviews, but after having to go through the process of changing the batteries, yet again, I felt obligated to review. Maybe someone can design a carry case for the MFJ-269c that will accommodate battery changes. I keep the case because of the carry strap. It prevents me from laying it down in less than ideal conditions, and forgetting where I put it.

Prior to shipping back for the lack of recharge-ability, I also forwarded information on a flaw with the power button. The button has a raised edge surrounding the power button. It was designed to prevent the unit from locking on. It does exactly this. The problem is that if the exposed portion of the button is pressed, say while in a bag and pressed against other objects, it will power on as long as the button is pressed flush with the raised edge. So it is quite likely that it will be dead when you need it most. The fix is to simply increase the height of the lip, problem solved. The button is large enough that my big fingers would have no issue turning it on with a higher protective lip. The solution I got back from the company was to be careful.

Trying to post the review on MFJ website got this “Please provide a valid review for the form! Alphanumeric characters and spaces are allowed!” I’m posting here instead.

Stay Safe and 73’s
Dave Templeton - KF4LRN

NN2X Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2017 14:25 Send this review to a friend
Does the job  Time owned: more than 12 months
This device works for me....Comes in handy, and works.

WB4IVG Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2017 22:18 Send this review to a friend
A lot of Bang for the Buck!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am an RF engineer, so I do a lot of bench and field testing of RF circuits and Antennas and Antenna Systems. I'll admit that a lot of MFJs equipment is sort of Cheezily made product, however it get the job done and done well accurately! GRANTED these units are NOT Lab Grade but they are not 15 or 20 Thousand dollar units either. I have much lab grade equipment at my disposal like Anritsu Sitemaster, AEA, Helper,Keysight/Agilent(HP), and others. I have had various MFJ analyzers from the old one metered HF unit to the 269Pro and they all served well. The great thing is if stolen damaged or destroyed it does not break the bank to replace one. Would I use it for Certification work Well of Course NOT, but for functional day to day use it is excellent, certainly a great value for the money spent!!!

DL2FDJ Rating: 4/5 Dec 25, 2016 20:30 Send this review to a friend
Does the job.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the 269 in 2013 and used it ever since. No issues with it at all. I own a AA-600 as well but still use the 269 from time to time.

The metal case is a typical MFJ build which I expected. It will not win a beauty contest but it keeps the unit protected. Batteries last quite a while despite what I read about it in the past.

Would I buy it again? No but only because the AA-600 came out.

K6BRN Rating: 3/5 Apr 23, 2016 20:23 Send this review to a friend
Useful but has problems  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased my MFJ-269C in 2015 from Ham City, along with optional case, rechargeable batteries, external power supply (wall wart) and dip coils. It is useful for tuning antennas, measuring coax length, as a crude signal generator and frequency counter. But it is poorly made and in some areas poorly designed. For example, the rechargeable batteries were dead out of the box, and even after I exchanged them, I found that I needed an external charger to charge them - the internal unit would NEVER do the job. Then the knobs began to break off - the brass stress relief ring in the shaft mounting is too thin to do much good. To pull out the batteries, the knobs have to be removed, the carry case pulled off and the back unscrewed - a real chore - and it uses up batteries fast. After a while I got frustrated with constantly pulling the batteries out to recharge them and with knob replacement, so I purchased a RigExpert AA-600, which not only works perfectly but plots antenna responses in seconds where manual plotting with the MFJ-169C is time consuming. And the RigExpert AA-170 and AA-54 can be had for about the same price as the MFJ-269C. Though they have less frequency coverage, what they do, they do amazingly well. In perspective, the MFJ-269C is like a Harbor Freight screwdriver - useful but not too well built, while the RigExpert products are like a Milwaukee cordless hammer drill- well built and does a lot of useful things with minimum effort.

W8ANT Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2015 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Excellent unit for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine new from HRO spring of 2014. Have used it extensively on every band from 1.8 mHz to 440; it is accurate, reliable and pretty rugged. I have also used a RigExpert AA54, which has better graphics but less frequency coverage. When I wanted a newer unit, I bought another MFJ, the 269CM

K7BVT Rating: 4/5 Jun 9, 2015 21:01 Send this review to a friend
Handy tool  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my MFJ-269B from HRO at a discount as a returned item that was supposed to work OK. Got it home and the LCD screen went through the start up sequence but when I hooked it up to a terminator it indicated an open circuit. Took the cover off and found the solder joint between the PL269 connector and circuit board was bad. Bad solder job and design did not provide strain relief.

I have used it since in several field operations and for quick checks at home. Have not had any problems with breakage in the field, I use the original cardboard box for transport. Not sure about absolute accuracy, I use my Bird 43 when accuracy is needed.

AB2IR Rating: 4/5 May 30, 2014 06:30 Send this review to a friend
No problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my 1999 model and have used it ever since. Pulling it out once every couple years. Try to remember to turn it on to keep caps up once in awhile. would buy again.